RRC- EAS or Coils?

RngRvrClsc

The EAS on my '95 RRC has finally failed. Not to the bump stops with speed limited to 35 mph, like I was afraid, but rather stuck at what seems to be the low profile (55mph+) with the extended profile dash light and both raise and lower buttons illuminated. The system had been failing for some time as it would sag and settle if parked for more than a day. The system was replaced in 2003, but I don't know if that included the compressor. I have a set of 4 air bags and a dryer from LR purchased as spares also in 2003.

My question is, should I replace the EAS and hope for another 10 years, or convert to coils and sell the parts?

How does the on and offroad performance of coils compare to EAS? Companies that sell kits all claim that coils are better, but I have to imagine that the road handling (and probably mpg?) will be adversely affected with the car permanently at its extended profile height. With a roof rack, parking garages can be unnerving even now, 2" more probably wouldn't make a difference, right? Would you feel comfortable taking a fresh EAS on the trail? I'm not taking it through Africa, just the East coast of North America. If you suggest coils, do you have an opinion on which is the best conversion kit? Atlantic British, Rovers North, Strutmaster? Do these kits plug the air lines and jury-rig the ECU or can the whole system be removed? If converting to coils, using the EAS to inflate tires is also quite appealing. However, my greatest concern with replacing the airbags is that the compressor could fail soon as well (expensive) and the same could be true if using it for tire inflating instead.

Any $.02 would be greatly appreciated.

R-Overland

Adventurer
EAS part are becoming so cheap now, I would try to diagnose it and fix it.
I have a 97 that came with coils. So I build of off that and lifted the truck.
I also have a 02 with EAS still in it and I would not think of getting rid of it.
I have a couple of Part cars, maybe I can help you with what you need.
Would be easier if you can diagnose the problem and pin point to what you need

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
LWB Range Rovers that still have EAS fitted warm my heart. I love watching those old systems work... they were absolutely cutting edge back in the day and really cemented Range Rover's place as the premier luxury SUV.

tacr2man

Adventurer
The air suspension on the RRC does not add all that much to ride comfort over the spring and Boge Hydramat system . But It does add a couple of tricks that the previous set up couldnt . It allowed it to lower all round for entry , and raise for body departure and ramp over angle improvement, and also lower for a minor economy gain , which was somewhat counteracted by the increased weight of the longer wheelbase, the downside is its reliability over time . So its very much a personal choice thing JMHO

evilfij

Explorer
At 10 years the bags are probably just dry rotted. My 95 lwb was converted to coils prior to 2002.

All the kit consists of it 4 springs and the hardware and spring cups off a discovery.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Find out what's wrong first. If it's and easy and cheap fix then just fix it. If not, go with the coils. These trucks ride nicely on coils so as someone else has already said, you won't lose much in that department. You will gain some reliability though.

RngRvrClsc

Thanks all for the input. I'm going to see where the failure is, and if its just the bags, replace them and be done. If it's something more, I'll probably go with whichever option would come out to be the cheapest.

I checked the service records, the valve block was also replaced in 2003 but there's no mention of the compressor.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
You'll want to check O-rings at all the collet connections (valve block, air springs, etc) as well.
A spray bottle of soapy water is your friend...

spikemd

Explorer
The air suspension ride of EAS is incredibly comfortable. Tight when you need it but also soft and compliant. I loved my P38 on airsprings but eventually I had to go to coils. It really depends on the purpose of your vehicle. For me, my truck is primarily for offroad adventures now. Last year we had a brand-new GenIII Arnott airspring fail on the approach to Goler Wash in Death Valley. My buddy had to drive 400+ miles home on bumpstops...not fun. No more EAS for us after that experience. Coils also allows much more lift, but it sounds like that is not a concern of yours.

One issue with a failing system with a leak is that the compressor will be working overtime. You may replace the springs and rebuild the valve block only to have your compressor failure soon thereafter. Good news is that rebuild kits for all parts are quite cheap now and the whole system is pretty simple. A spray bottle with soapy water is your best friend. Definitely replace the o-rings if you are replacing the airsprings as the rubber deteriorates.

Some say coils are horrible, but mine rides decently. Nothing compares to EAS though. There is a reason LR stuck with it.

Gren_T

Adventurer
For me it would be air all the way, the system can be made reliable relatively easily and cheap, the coil setups I've driven in the UK were not in the same class.

Much has been said about components failing but in most cases it's just down to age.. coils fail the same way,
another point which is glossed over by companies selling coil kits in the UK is vehicle type approval it was designed to run on airbags, change them to after market coils & have a serious accident then watch your insurers walk away laughing.

regards all

Gren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles