In the market for a pop-up and looking for advice.

Mcstiggens

Hello all,

I know this has been beat to death and yes, I have done a search and read a thing or two but here goes.....

I'm looking at an early 90's FWC Hawk, an early to mid 90's Skamper and a yet to be determined Probably 90's also) Sun-lite.
I know that the 4 Wheel campers are highly regarded and Skampers are less so due to wood construction.
I'm not planning to beat it up too much since it is going on an F250 7.3 diesel which is too big and heavy for serious wheeling.
(Although washboards can sure do some damage)
Anyway, I think It's going to come down to the over all condition of the units AND the floor plan and amenities.
I don't care too much about a bathroom since the weight it would ad would make it too heavy.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has had any of these three. How do you like them?
One thing about the FW Hawk is that bench seat. I kinda like it, but I kinda don't. It seems to waste space and from what I have seen,
it doesn't allow for the cozy U shaped 'nook' seating with table (that every other camper has), which makes it nice for eating or playing games.
Not to mention the fact that it forces you to face directly opposite of the HUGE side window that would provide you with the great view
when parked next to the ocean or wherever. And about that HUGE window on the FW Hawk, in a way, it's a great thing but it's also a waste
of space especially when you are forced to sit with your back to it on a bench. Kinda defeats the purpose....or is there something I am missing?

Please share you experience with me.
Thanks for any input on this.

Mcstiggs

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I don't have any of those three but I have a different, wood-contruction pop-up (a 1988 Four Seasons) and am pretty happy with it. I've noticed that while the aluminum-framed Four Wheel campers are optimum for traveling on rugged terrain, the wooden ones give you some extra width and space. I haven't had any trouble with it on unimproved roads, save for an issue relating to the rear door that goes all the way to the top of the camper, which was remedied with a tensioned steel strap installed at the top of the door. Try to choose a design that has a constructed beam above the top of the door--that helps a lot with the integrity.

I do have the couch design with the large window behind it. It's not optimal, for sure, but it does leave you with more floor space than a U-shaped dinette. The window is also nice for viewing stars when sleeping on the bottom bed, for what it's worth. Mine has the option of only using the bottom cushion without the back cushion, which leaves the window uncovered for extra light. Most pop-up designs seem to rely on the soft windows in the tent material for most of their light and visibility.

Good luck!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Northstar's a 2000 and has been problem free. Canvas is getting tired but everything still works. It's only been on basic Baja roads,nothing like the pics I see in here though. I'd buy another.

rotti

Adventurer
FWC has three different interior layouts including your "cozy U shaped 'nook' seating with table".

I have the roll over couch and prefer that for stealth camping, bigger and better sleeping area and the larger storage capacity. As far as the view, I'm outside just about all the time anyway. Pick your poison.

yqLkpzM.jpg

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/products/for-full-size-trucks/grandby-hard-side/

Last edited:

Wyocrawler

Observer
I have a 91 hallmark ute. Has the table arrangement your after and is well constructed. Has been pretty much trouble free. I like it a lot and have put much time and effort into maintenance and remodels, but if I was going to buy a new one I'd go with aluminum.

NothingClever

Explorer
FWC is relatively close to you and they're a great company who can do retrofits. I'd go nuts with that couch arrangement but that's me.

I second looking for a Hallmark. They're a cut above in comfort and quality (IMO) and a super company (the Ward family) to deal with. Their dinettes are very, very nice and their window views are much better, IMO. They also can do some re-modeling to bring an ol' girl up to date.

NothingClever

Explorer
I have a 91 hallmark ute. Has the table arrangement your after and is well constructed. Has been pretty much trouble free. I like it a lot and have put much time and effort into maintenance and remodels, but if I was going to buy a new one I'd go with aluminum.
I wouldn't discount Hallmark's Bluewater Coosa. They can do balsa, aluminum and Coosa. The characteristics and quality of Coosa are convincing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles