Will 2 Exped Megamat 10s fit into the back of my 99 4runner side by side?

aleks77

Looking to buy sleeping pads for my sleeping platform in the back of the 4runner, now i read great reviews about the exped megamat and would love to get it. However it is measured at 77.5x30", the length is no problem but the narrowest part in the back of the 4runner measures 52" and about 53"-54" everywhere else. I know the pads are flexible so im thinking i could squeeze 2 of them together side by side? Just wondering if anyone owns one of these and can tell me that this is doable or not?

Thanks for any help!

Paredneck

Observer
If you want two pads I would recommend the exped synmat 7LW it is 77.5" x 26". I have one and its a great pad. Depending on your height you can save a few bucks and get 2 of the MW pads which are 72" x 26". I just got one for my girlfriend. The added bonus is they are light enough to take backpacking too.

do you have a platform above the wheel wells in your 4runner?

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
It might work, but I would be doubtful, and could not recommend a configuration where the pads couldn't lay flat. In theory, as you force the two mattresses together the outer sides will uplift and because of the straight walled design of the pads it will only be worse than a normal pad.

Honu

lost on the mainland
They are to thick stiff IMHO

We got nemo cosmo which were almost as comfy but packed small :)
We loved the mega mat but the pack size made us change :)

I would get the nemo cosmo 2 person pillow top and two nemo pads and their super cool new double bag system if I wanted a single bag for wife and I
http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?Tango+Duo+30

aleks77

Thanks for the replies, yes my sleeping platform is completely above the wheel wells. I also heard good things about the REI 3.5 which is only 25" wide too...it doesnt matter to me how these pack/fold, as they are permenantly inflated in the back of the 4runner during the whole trip.

Honu

lost on the mainland
if its permanent inflated what about a custom cut piece of latex from some of the custom bed manufactures ?
a bit more heavy but might be more comfy even ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
http://www.themattressunderground.com/the-mattress-underground-membership.html
also check out or ask on the forum for one where you are in BC ?

an idea
http://www.mattresses.net/rvmattresses.html

do not get memory foam :) unless its something like the nemo one because it gets hard as a rock when cold :)

just something to look into :) our RTT had foam some of the flip style use more normal mattress

the one plus of inflatables it can be packed away smaller ? and adjusted for firmness :)

again the nemo solution is very comfy :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
30x2=60, right? I have the same problem with our Thermarest XL pads, they are comfortable and expensive but will not fit side by side in anything but a monstrosity of an SUV like an Excursion.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yesterday costco had a inflatable bed double size actually felt pretty durable more the nylon cover type than the plastic ?

one thing to remember is if you use a regular AIR type bed you want insulation under you ? wool blanket or something the sleeping bags pack down dont offer much insulation :)
you might know this :) but good info for anyone else reading who wondered why on a non insulated air bed they were cold :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior