M416 With Replacement Lights Wiring Question

1Louder

Explorer
I have read through all of the great info on here and I would like to solicit some of your opinions. My friend and I just purchased an M416 trailer with replacement lights on it. They are wired to a 7 blade connector, (6 blades with center plug) I have to put an adapter on this for my FJ which is the newer 4 post. I am thinking about removing the older connector and making it the 4 post to be a direct connection. Any reason not to do this? I understand this would prevent me from charging a battery on the trailer from my FJ but if we add a battery we are going to go the solar charging route.

For some reason the adapter didn't work on my FJ today and mostly worked on his but did some funny things when headlights were on. That's the primary motivation for changing to the modern plug and eliminating the adapter.

Thanks in advanced and once we get through the tear down and rebuild stage I will post some pictures and try to limit the questions since many have been answered in the past.

- Chris

wiringconnector.jpg

Last edited:

JPNCA

Adventurer
Just my opinion
Rewire the trailer
It's not that hard and you'll know how fix it if there is trouble

Wierd stuff happening is usually a bad ground problem

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I second the vote to rewire the trailer.
get a good quality wire flat 4 wire set and run new from tongue to tail.
add the marker lights if you want and new tail lights. I went with GROTE tail lights from ebay.
"less than 20 bucks shipped with brackets too" take off lights from cab and chassis truck.

This way you will know what you have and be able to trouble shoot if there is a problem.
Good luck and post as you go.

1Louder

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I agree with you guys. Any voters for keeping the old stuff?

Edit: Before it hit 120 in the shade this morning I removed the 7 blade connector and replaced it with the 4 pin. Everything works and a much cleaner install. At some point we would like to add a battery or two to the trailer but I think we will solar charge all of that stuff. I don't have a lot of stuff which I would like powered "yet" so it is on the wish list.

Last edited:

JPNCA

Adventurer
Another idea
When I rewired my trailer I ran the wired through a hose for extra protection.

As far as extra wires for power just run more
When you do it yourself you can do it however you want
Lol that's a lot of you's in that sentance

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Personally I'd keep the 7 wire, as most vehicles coming down the line utilize it. It also is more versatile, solar is nice, but not on a cloudy day. I like the fact that my vehicle can also charge the trailer.

Rewiring the trailer isn't hard, worth doing as it is relatively cheap to do it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke