What's next after the Garmin Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The Montana has been out for a few years now. They shot right passed the Oregon is that time. I'm guessing the Montana will be replaced soon. Has anyone heard any rumors? I am looking at getting a Montana, but would rather wait if Garmin is getting read for a new release soon.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've been reading rumors on the net on gpstracklog.com and other sites about a Garmin Monterra which is to replace the Montana. Should be hitting stores any time now.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
4" screen...WIFI...Bluetooth...Android operating system and others. Since no one has seen one yet, who knows what all? A quick Google search revealed these just off the Amazon (Canada) site.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The Montana is a pretty useful GPS. We just bought one a few weeks ago. Works great in the truck and on the bike.

Pretty useful is an understatement. I have several GPS units but after learning how to use the Montana (so many different setups and capabilities) those other units are now collecting dust. Any time I go out, the Montana is on my dash or on the handlebars of the dirt bike or quad. I find it super easy to create tracks using a variety of maps in Basecamp and then instantly loading them to the Montana and that has made exploring remote, unknown country much more efficient. No more wondering if I'm on the correct two-track to get where I want to go. Mine stays connected to 12v via the Rugged Mount so that big screen stays very visible, very bright, no matter how bright the sun.

The only improvement I could think of would be to have the functionality of the In-Reach locator unit incorporated into the Montana. That would make it the ideal back-country companion.

Scott Brady

Founder
Pretty useful is an understatement.

I can appreciate your perspective, but in reality, Garmin has not made a truly useful GPS since the era of the 276 (Before iPhone/Android). There is nothing the Montana can do that my iPhone can't - nothing. I can even put my iPhone in a bomb-proof case and it is just as durable. It used to be that some software was better, like Tracks4Africa, but I even just loaded that on my iPhone.

I do like the Montana for on the bike. The screen works with gloved hands and is pretty big for good visibility. Touratech makes a bunch of nice mounts. In reality, I only use the Garmin for a redundant track log and as a redundant nav. device. Not sure I will ever buy another dedicated GPS again.

When Garmin was in rocket-mode with general consumer units, they completely abandoned power/niche users. Now we are the only thing that will save them. . .

jarmentrout

Observer
I agree completely Scott. Garmin should be very worried. Their relevance in the consumer market is not stable. If they'd make something focused on vehicle travel I'd consider it. But a decent 7 inch tablet with a built in GPS like the nexus 7 for less than half what they are asking for those tiny handheld units that do much less, puts them out to the game for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
There is nothing the Montana can do that my iPhone can't - nothing. I can even put my iPhone in a bomb-proof case and it is just as durable.
I do like the Montana for on the bike. The screen works with gloved hands and is pretty big for good visibility. Touratech makes a bunch of nice mounts. In reality, I only use the Garmin for a redundant track log and as a redundant nav. device. Not sure I will ever buy another dedicated GPS again..
I am still using my Map60 and Nuvi 265. I don't carry an iPhone and have no use for one. Some of us prefer dedicated devices and don't like all in one devices. I am not a Luddite (not by a long shot) but I find all in one devices disappointing and fragile (I might carry around a Toughpad to complement my Toughbook though). I also prefer to act on current needs rather than worrying about what might come out next week or next month. If I wait long enough I can get a better something or other the day before I die.
Finnaly, it is funny to think that we might save Garmin and not the fishermen, truck drivers, aircraft and boats that use their charters, plotters, fishfinders and other products.:coffee:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^^^ this...(Baja 540C on my end)!

I have & use an iPad with numerous topo map apps...still lots of shortcomings and compromise!

Scott Brady

Founder
Finnaly, it is funny to think that we might save Garmin and not the fishermen, truck drivers, aircraft and boats that use their charters, plotters, fishfinders and other products.:coffee:

I was referring to all power/niche users, including the ones in your list. That is the only hope Garmin has.

We will all (or should) use the device best suited to our needs. A single use device is simply inferior in my experience. On my iPhone, I have 1:24,000, 1:50,000. 1:100,000 topos, I have a full NAVTEC turn-by-turn for most countries in the world, I have Track4Africa, auto-trackers, HEMA Navigator, Google Earth, etc. I do still carry a GPS for redundancy, and to keep a second track log, but in the middle of Siberia, it is only the Android/OiS and Ozi-Explorer that make the difference. :D

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Scott, I was a dedicated Delorme GPS user (really like their maps) until I got the Montana. Reason? The Montana has a connection for an external antenna. My home away from home is a 4x4 windowless van and no GPS I've tried gets a signal inside there unless there is an antenna on the roof. Now, with the Montana connected to a good Gilsson on the roof satellite reception is no longer a problem. How do you hook an external antenna to an iphone??

Also, and bear with me because I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I don't know much about iphones and such because where I live cell phone reception is at best spotty and a lot of the time nonexistent. Same with internet. I spend a lot of time in back country where there are only two-tracks running in all directions through the brush, no road signs of any sort and certainly no addresses. But I have been able to find maps for the Garmin that give a name to every windmill, spring, abandoned mine, canyon, etc., out there in the middle of nowhere and still give me the topographic information I need so I can locate myself exactly on paper maps. I have these same maps loaded on my computer at home, and I create tracks taking me to places I want to explore and load those onto the Montana. Following that pink line has saved me from a lot of stumbling around on dead-end roads that went nowhere and I sure wish I had this tool many years ago when I was younger. Are you telling me I can do exactly the same with an iphone?

Scott Brady

Founder
Are you telling me I can do exactly the same with an iphone?

Yes. You can also take an 8mp image, get the names of constellations (star app), look-up the name of that odd looking bird (birding guides) and zoom in on a 7.5 minute topo map (Topo Maps app), the original scan of the original paper topos, with cartographers notes and all.

And you can do all of those things without a cell signal or wifi. The iPhone has 64gb of internal storage for offline maps and app storage, and a GPS chipset.

This is also not exclusive to the iPhone, these functions also available on many Android phones. It is absolutely incredible what a smartphone can do for the traveler now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles