How do you transport firewood in your trailer?

Xrunner

Explorer
I've been using the tongue rack of my trailer with a ratchet strap looped over the top.

expo05_zps006bfbbc.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
Ironic you pose the question. I'm creating a rack currently that is like you box. It will sit atop the rear of the trailer. I want it for wood, but also muddy boots, etc.

kraqus

Norcalwood
Ironic you pose the question. I'm creating a rack currently that is like you box. It will sit atop the rear of the trailer. I want it for wood, but also muddy boots, etc.

I should have re-titled it "How do carry undesirable items...."
I have a grill now that I am going to start carrying with me.
Simple steel mesh that I can place on top of a fire and cooked some steaks.
If you ask me, best steak is the one cooked on an open fire :)

I know that no matter what I do, this thing will reek to BBQ grease.
No way I am carrying it inside my Trailer.
That's the purpose for a rack like that....

Benny

orionkhan

Adventurer
I have rack on top of my trailer. I picked up one of the soft roof top cargo carriers at a garage sale for a whopping $1. I put the wood in the carrier on the rack. It works well and keep the wood dry in the rain. Then I load the carrier with the trash bag and anything else I don't mind being dirty (like the grill I use over the campfire) on the way home.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I use a large blue Ikea shopping bag with a compression strap on it. Simple and strong. Folds up nicely when the wood makes it to camp.

That is what we do. The bag is super handy for picking up more wood around camp too. It also works great as trash bag receptacle.

Chili

Explorer
So many areas have burn bans. For $100 you can get a propane fire pit from Camp Chef

We bought one last year before a trip to Colorado because of burn bans in place at the time. We were very surprised and happy with the performance. Previous years we would collect downed dead wood, sometimes with the help of my chainsaw, but man was it nice not having to spend so much time and effort in collecting, cutting, splitting, stoking, etc. Another positive is that we can use it under our pup up canopy (and did) which is perfect for when it was raining.

This is the one we have:
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Red...1375990448&sr=8-1&keywords=camp+chef+fire+pit

Stock Photo:
918W3tBlViL._SL1500_.jpg

My photos:
540786_3770527136185_656071956_n.jpg

522028_3770327371191_616822477_n.jpg

My boys:
306667_3770330731275_1593016389_n.jpg

Me, probably telling tall tales, and my boys:
382425_3770331451293_452578220_n.jpg

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
LP camp Fire

Too many rules in Calif =No burn, no fires in campground, fire season. so I use an LP fire . thanks=brian

Attachments

• campfire2.jpg
    campfire2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 34

Chili

Explorer
How much propane does it run through? Say average flame size three hours of use.

I use a 20lb / 5 gal tank, so it's hard to say how much in 3 hours. A full tank lasts at least 3 to 4 days, running several hours a night at wide open. There is a fair amount of adjust-ability on it too. The best part is that you can turn it off and on very easily / quickly, so if you are up doing other things you can turn it off. while we might burn a wood fire for 4-6 hours in a night, much of that time we are not even sitting around it. I find that we may only have this going 2 hours instead.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
That's what I was gonna suggest when I found this old thread. Just getting into the idea of "Overlanding" civilian style... Not digging all the crap I'm reading about burn bans, can't bring your own wood... We just did what ever worked in the Army. Wonder if that's why the world hates us?

M_e_l_v_i_n

firewood transport

I use one of several 55 gallon plastic drums equipped with a screw top lid. The drums sit outside my woodworking shop collecting scraps and offcuts. When it is time to head out a full one is strapped to the tongue of our trailer. Once at the camp site the wood is dumped out and a plastic drum liner bag is inserted so the drum can be used as a garbage can.

IMG_2619TrailerZoom.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior