REI, Politics and Public Lands

Woods

Explorer
Word on the street is that REI gives a ton of money, to groups that really don't like what most of us do. Seems that the Federal Government, the Sierra Club and the like, would really like to see all off pavement trails closed to all motorized vehicles. Recently, the CEO of REI was made Interior Secretary, nominated by President Obama. This puts her in charge of National Park Service, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. I've personally watched as more and more trails have been closed over the last ten years. The Federal government is spending millions of dollars to close trails that have been open for a very long time. I'm not just propagating anti-government paranoia hear. I've witnessed enough of this to believe what many are writing about on the internet. If you care see for yourself, drive Main Divide Road in Southern California. I can't imagine the cost to erect such great lengths of steel railing that closes off trails that have been there for decades. The BLM has taken over millions of acres of land in the last 15 years and is closing much of it off.

Why don't we see REI offering any motorized overlanding specific products? I enjoy dispersed camping. I'm concluding that they don't like what I do.

So what can be done?
REI, is a coop. They are owned by it's members. They spend money to support politics that I do not agree with. I'm no longer shopping there and am choosing to buy products from companies which are either not politically affiliated and or sell overland products. I'm going to support those who support me. I feel like the dollar is the strongest vote that I have.

They have supported with profits from outdoors people organizations that are against our method of enjoying the public lands for a long time.

Woods

Explorer
Just read through that thread. Don't see how it saved me any time. Seems like it took some of my time.

I do thank you for the link though. Interesting read.

My post is put in Equipment intentionally though. I only have one point. To support or not to support REI. People need to know where their money is going.

Save yourself some time and read this post.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101928

You will get the same input from both sides. No need to rehash.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You are not alone Woods. Every year I send in my REI ballot with anti-Sierra Club commentary all over them. I usually write a letter every year, and have even tried getting industry figures about what percentage of their customer base is for open lands verses closed to the public lands. Never see anything in response, but i never vote for the tree hugger types. I always for the warehouse guy or whoever is running against the usual Board selections

Stabby

Thanks for spreading the word, brother.

Look forward to wheel'n with you again soon.

Last edited:
J

JWP58

Its called Agenda 21. Look it up, do some research. Their ultimate goal is to keep us out of the NF, BLM, and State lands.

bearman512

Adventurer
I quit buying from REI back in 1994 when I went to the local Albuquerque store and seen the Green Party poster van parked in the middle of the parking lot. I did not think anything about it until I went to check out and I asked why the van was parked there. The young man at the check out counter told me that REI supports the Green Party and asked if I would make a donation. I asked for the manager. I asked the manager why they support the Green Party and he went on to tell me everthing I would expect to hear from a Duck Squeezing Tree Hugger and that REI at the corporate level donates 5% of all profits to the GP. I had 2K in merchandise on the counter that I had just paid for with a credit card and I immediatly said thanks for all the road closings you will be causing and asked for my money back!
From that point on I have made it a point to inform all my friends, and all my military co-workers primarily the ones that purchase thousands of dollars worth of equipment from REI and asked them to use anyone but them.
For the most part I think I have helped keep a cool million or so out of thier hands for the last 15 years.:sport_box

Woods

Explorer
THAT'S STEP'N UP!!!

Great story and thanks for taking the time to share.

I quit buying from REI back in 1994 when I went to the local Albuquerque store and seen the Green Party poster van parked in the middle of the parking lot. I did not think anything about it until I went to check out and I asked why the van was parked there. The young man at the check out counter told me that REI supports the Green Party and asked if I would make a donation. I asked for the manager. I asked the manager why they support the Green Party and he went on to tell me everything I would expect to hear from a Duck Squeezing Tree Hugger and that REI at the corporate level donates 5% of all profits to the GP. I had 2K in merchandise on the counter that I had just paid for with a credit card and I immediatly said thanks for all the road closings you will be causing and asked for my money back!
From that point on I have made it a point to inform all my friends, and all my military co-workers primarily the ones that purchase thousands of dollars worth of equipment from REI and asked them to use anyone but them.
For the most part I think I have helped keep a cool million or so out of thier hands for the last 15 years.:sport_box

Rando

Explorer
I will continue to shop there. They are decent company, with good products that treat there staff well. However the whole idea of boycotting REI seems a little silly - a large fraction of the manufacturers of the products they sell also support the same organizations. It doesn't matter if you buy your Black Diamond headlamp at REI or through google shopping.

bearman512

Adventurer
I will continue to shop there. They are decent company, with good products that treat there staff well. However the whole idea of boycotting REI seems a little silly - a large fraction of the manufacturers of the products they sell also support the same organizations. It doesn't matter if you buy your Black Diamond headlamp at REI or through google shopping.

I really like REI but I had to make a stand as the GP and Sierra Clubs out there have been trying to close military gunnery ranges as well as close areas of training for helicopters nation wide and these are places they cannot access with vehicles even if they have been given access.
Did I mention that this money is spent on Lawyers and Lobbyists in DC that promote closure before management.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I can tell you that there are many other products out there that are the same quality if not better. I was a Purchasing Agent/Supply Sergeant with over 1 million dollars annually for USAF Special Operations and found plenty of vendors out there and when I retired I was a National Sales rep for Source One Tactical one of only 3 PRIME Vendors for the DOD/US GOV.

TheThom

Adventurer
So the other question: why are they in favor of closing off these lands? Is it because they personally dislike the hobby of wheelin or is it because a lot of wheelers are irresponsible and are causing irreparable, damage to sensitive areas.

Yes, those trails have been open for decades, but only recently have people from all over the country been going on forums like these and sharing what were once well kept local getaways.

I grew up in western CO and when my military commitment ends next summer I'm moving back to southern CO. Off road, dispersed camping is a way if life

I'm personally somewhere in the middle, but there are always two sides to every argument.

The question is why?

Woods

Explorer
I like your post. It shows balance. I really only take issue with folks that don't have balance. There's currently a movement to close down a bunch of trails in Ocotillo Wells. It's an open riding area and in the last few years, the motorcycles have inundated it. The riders, ride EVERYWHERE. It's really beat the crap out of the whole area. And these are "responsible riders". They are not breaking any laws and that's what Ocotillo Wells is about. I suppose riders deserve a place to ride. I don't think they are doing any permanent damage. It's ugly, loud and I don't feel safe taking my young kids out there. Do you think they should close it to open riding? It's a tough call for someone with balance.

I believe that the likes of the Sierra Club, "dislike the hobby of wheelin". That they believe that all wheelin is irresponsible. There are some who believe that hiking is irresponsible.

So the other question: why are they in favor of closing off these lands? Is it because they personally dislike the hobby of wheelin or is it because a lot of wheelers are irresponsible and are causing irreparable, damage to sensitive areas.

The question is why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94