Take On Asia - Black to Bering Sea by bike

hlloyd33

Observer
This trip is rushing by!
Anyway, since Dushanbe, I've cycled to Samarkand and Bukhara and made a little tour round the old forts in Khorezm before seeing Khiva.
Here's the latest updates and photos:

Getting to Dushanbe
Golden Road to Samarkand
Samarkand
Bukhara

Heading off again today on the bike. Now to Nukus and up to Moynaq where the Aral Sea used to be...

As for other news, I've just booked my flight home for xmas - so this first half of the trip is really drawing to the end.

But I've also just booked flights back out to Irkutsk - so the 3 month winter biking in Siberia is really going to happen!! I am very excited about it and more than a little apprehensive :) It's going to be very cool (in every sense of the word)...
I came across this article yesterday and it's got great photos of biking on Lake Baikal, which is where I'll be starting my winter journey. 3 weeks on the ice i reckon (as long as it's frozen enough!)

hlloyd33

Observer
Siberia - Winter Biking

Now for the 2nd part of this Take On Asia trip...

3 months Winter Biking in Siberia.

Just 10 days until I fly back out to Russia with my bike.

The plan is to start cycling from Irkutsk, up Lake Baikal, to Severobaykalsk. Then head to Yakutsk on the zimnik (ice road) via the Lena River. Hopefully I can pop to Oymyakon (coldest inhabited place on earth). Then it'll be along the Road of Bones until turning north on another zimnik to meet the Kolyma River and continue up to Cherskiy on the north coast.

I've got 3 months on my visa and I'm going to need every day of that! Even so, it's a bit too far to cycle the whole distance, so I'll be hitching a ride for a bit, probably between Lensk and Yakutsk. All I know for sure is that I want to bike from Yakutsk to Cherskiy, and Lake Baikal (if it actually freezes over in time! I am yet to develop the ability to ride on water )

So the route will be something like this:

Winter Siberia Route copy.jpg

Not sure how much I'll be blogging on the way. But I will def be sending updates via Twitter. And I'll be carrying a SPOT so you can see how I'm progressing...

Wish me luck and a return with all my fingers and toes!

Very excited now. Can't wait to get out there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94