Seattle to Alaska and back

Stitebunny

Adventurer
This is not a backcountry adventure or true expedition. But it is a trip report on a 2 week adventure and road trip with my family. I hope this is the proper forum and you enjoy looking at it! I have loved reading everyone else's trip reports so I thought maybe someone will enjoy ours and get you excited to get out there!

Back in February I found this van for sale online and after working out the terms, my wife (Claire Marie) and I (Chris) bought it sight unseen! The van was located in Wasilla, AK. My brother lives in Anchorage and was able to check it out for us before purchasing so it wasn't a total suprise what we were buying! The eventual plan would be for myself, my wife, and our 6 year old (Lucas) to fly up there and drive it back down the Alaska Highway!

FRONT.jpg

INSIDE BACK.jpg

We didn't have a plan as to when we could take the vacation time we needed to get the van home to the Seattle area so it sat at my brothers house until we were able to make the arrangements.

van at Chad's.jpg

As the van sat currently it only had seats for 2. My brother was a big help and took on the job of installing the extra seat out of his VW Westy for our trip south! It worked out great for the trip!

seat install 1.jpg

seat install.jpg

It was somewhere around this time that my brother informed me that his 3 year old son, Hatcher, who had named their VW JoJo, had given our van the title, "Whitey"! And with us not having a name for it yet, it shall hereby be known as such! Until further notice. And I'll go with YT for now as that is probably more PC! He is only 3 after all! He just see's a big white van!

Fast forward 3 months to May 31! The day we leave! It was a long 3 months with the anticipation building! The wife and I both took 2 weeks of vacation and pulled the boy out of kindergarten for the trip!

Gear is packed and ready for the airplane! Man, that's a lot of stuff!

(pic to come)

Lucas is 6 and has never been on a plane before so this is the official start of his big adventure!

airport.jpg

Stoked!!

airplane.jpg

The flight went great and Lucas actually slept for a few hours!

In Anchorage finally and our first in person sighting of our van!!

first van sight 1.jpg

Another exciting part of the trip for us was to meet our new neice, Katla! About 3 months old!

Claire Marie holding Katla and (temporarily) wanting to have another baby!

Claire and Katla.jpg

After waking up and having some family time, I was excited to go check out the van and see what we bought! It was all pretty much how I expected from my brother and the previous owner describing it.

But one little thing, broken shock mount!
Had to cut off the u bolts and take the bracket to get welded and new u bolts made!
Once we waited until Monday and the shops were open, it was smooth sailing, along with some new cheapo front shocks!

plasma cutter.jpg

To be continued:

Last edited:

Stitebunny

Adventurer
The original plan, if that's what it was called!, was to hang out with my brother and his family for a few days before we hit the road. So it wasn't a big deal the van was down for the weekend.

We spent a few days checking out heavy equipment

Loader bucket.jpg

Loader cab.jpg

drinking!

Claire front yard.jpg

Playing with Argo's, these belong to Jeff who was nice enough to have our van worked on in his driveway with his tools!
Thanks Jeff and Eric for all the help!

argo.jpg

Biking

biking.jpg

Setting up my brothers awning for the first time

Chads awning.jpg

Shoulder driving with ears! (nephew Hatcher at the helm!)

Hatcher shoulder ride.jpg

And general shenanigans!

Chris small bike.jpg

We got the van going on Monday and were ready to hit the road on Tuesday!
With all the action happening around the van's over the weekend, the boys somehow managed to come up with the idea to add a Jay to our vans name! So now we have Whitey Jay! (YTJ) Stay tuned for further name refinements!
Leaving for Girdwood to spend the night in the van for the first time!

Leaving.jpg

Continue:

Last edited:

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Down the Turnagain arm towards Girdwood. It's about 45 minutes or so out of Anchorage.

van on the way to Girdwood.jpg

Chugach Mts.jpg

Hatcher and Lucas Turnagain.jpg

Group shot of the first camp spot
Night 1.jpg

We stayed at the Crow Creek mine near Alyeska. Not many pictures from here but it is a place where you can mine and pan for gold. You can just take a liitle bit of gear or set up an entire operation if you want!

It was a cool spot!

This first night was just kind of a test to see if we would need to make any adjustments with the van, gear, or ourselves before we left town for the next 11 days!

The first night in the van went pretty well! There is lots of room inside it even with the back seat taking up the middle area! Much bigger than camping out of our Subaru wagon!

We didn't feel that anything needed changing and were really happy with things so far!

My brother had to work the next day so he left camp real early. We got up and had coffee and breakfast and then packed up to head back to town to meet my brother for lunch one last time before we hit the road.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Gassed up before leaving town. First of many stops! Biggest gas tank I've ever owned!
The previous owner said I could count on 13 mpg. Guess we'll see how it goes.

gas pump.jpg

The second night we wanted to stay on Hatcher Pass. My brother and his wife spend a lot of time in the area, so much so that they named their kid after it, so we wanted to see what it's all about! We had wanted to drive the whole road from the Palmer side to Willow, north of Wasilla. But the late snow they had did not allow the road to open in time. So we drove through Wasilla and up to Willow and the Hatcher Pass cut off.

The sign has seen better days!
hatcher pass sign.jpg

Saw some wildlife
beaver.jpg

Eagle.jpg

We knew the road was closed but wanted to get up as far as we could. We got into the snow and I put it in 4 wheel drive for the first time! Glad it worked! I suppose I should have tried it myself along with my brother testing it previously! Oh well! It works! The snow was melting fast and making for a really bumpy ride. The melt was running across the road and making big trenches under the snow that we couldn't see. So every so often we would basically drive into a big hole that was covered by a 'snow bridge' over the top. Some of these were really jarring and I was hoping the welder who fixed my shock mount did a good job!

snowy road.jpg

After a few miles of snow, end of the road! Apparently the plow driver decided it was time to call it quits right here!

Hatcher Pass dead end.jpg

So with 4 wheel drive working great, we pulled out the Austin Powers skills and turned back for lower ground and to find a place to pop the top for the night!

van u turn.jpg

Heading back down and taking in the views!

Hatcher pass view.jpg

Last edited:

Stitebunny

Adventurer
hatcher pass view 1.jpg

Found a perfect camp spot right next to the river.

camp hatcher.jpg

Hatcher Pass river.jpg

hatcher campsite.jpg

Haven't slept so well in a long time!!

Last edited:

Stitebunny

Adventurer
The next days plans were kind of up in the air. One of the things I wanted to do on this trip was to drive the Denali Highway. It is a mostly gravel road, about 100 miles, that is supposed to have amazing scenery, tons of wildlife and few people or other travelers on the road. However the late snow has also affected the opening of this road due to washouts. It normally opens the middle to end of May. I had been checking the road conditions report and all it said was "road closed, crews working to open it" with no date scheduled.
So we left camp that morning with the idea to head to Denali National Park. And to pass through Cantwell where the Denail Hwy junction is and check the report. If it's still closed we would continue north to Fairbanks.

First stop for some coffee. Mileage sign in the back

xprsso.jpg

Stoped in Cantwell to gas up and talk to the lady running the place. Turns out the Denali Hwy opened this morning!! Awesome!!

Some of Cantwell's residents
Meese.jpg

Distant view of Denali, or Mt. Mckinley.
Important note: we thought we would have some great views of the mountain from the park. We were wrong. We didn't have time to take one of the tour buses into the park. Which is the only way you can get more than 15 miles in with a vehicle. If you are coming from the south, be sure to stop at all the viewpoints to snap your pictures. There are some good spots, that we unfortunately didn't stop at.

denali.jpg

Token tourist photo

Denali Nat Park.jpg

After checking out the visitor center and driving in the first 15 miles it was time to head back down to head east on the Denali Highway!

Running off some steam!

run in the park.jpg

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I wasn't sure anyone was reading so I kind of fizzled out on finishing it. But at least there are 2 of you guys reading so I'll keep going!

Made it to the Denali Highway!!
Even though it's not really that remote, it does kind of feel like it! Very few cars, no cell service, no facilities.

Just a bunch of pictures of sights along the way!!

Denali Hwy1.jpg

caribou.jpg

caribou 1.jpg

Denali Hwy2.jpg

denali hwy6.jpg

dh2.jpg

dh1.jpg

There were tons of porcupines!! They like to climb up into little trees!!

porcupine tree.jpg

Off the main road a bit and another nice spot. Heard one car before bed and then, the silence of Alaska!

dh3.jpg

dh4.jpg

Last edited:

steve c

Adventurer
Yes, please finish it up!

For everyone that actually writes a comment on your thread, there are tons just reading and enjoying.

And thanks for taking the time to post. It's a lot of work

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Continuing on down the highway.
As with most photographer's with no experience, the photo's just can't explain how beautiful it was! I wish we could have spent more night's camping in this area! It was really an amazing place!

Denali Hwy3.jpg

dh5.jpg

Thinking of home. And wishing we didn't have to go!

seattle creek.jpg

Unfortunately these panoramic photo's weren't taken on the correct setting. We were hoping to blow some of them up to hang on the wall.

d4.jpg

d7.jpg

Close up of the blue tarp on front!

d5.jpg

The van is sprung pretty stiff, and with some of the bumpier sections of road, it made for a rough ride at times. We found that the stove/oven wasn't really secured that well! So here was the temporary repair!

oven tie.jpg

moose.jpg

moose2.jpg

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Yes, please finish it up!

For everyone that actually writes a comment on your thread, there are tons just reading and enjoying.

And thanks for taking the time to post. It's a lot of work

Yes, that would be me- one of those reading and enjoying your report. Sounds like a great adventure. Thanks for taking us along.

rkj__

Adventurer
I love seeing pictures from Alaska. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I hope your newly purchased van treats you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier