Exploring the West...A Summer of Adventure and Insights...

mph

Expedition Leader
Our drive back to the West was somewhat sad...Hard to leave the high country of Colorado. Just great country! However, Utah is not a bad place to call home! We did have a little exploring left to do...

colorado 2-2013 029.jpg

Continued views...The skies began to get hazy with the smoke blowing in from the south.

colorado 2-2013 041.jpg

We took the backway out of Telluride. Nothing like a dirt road and $10 million houses on your left and right...

colorado 2-2013 042.jpg

Stopped for lunch. Yep another view.

colorado 2-2013 087.jpg

Made our way up into the LaSals for one last night. The temperature was splendid. No one around.

colorado 2-2013 108.jpg

The hazy, smoky skies were blown out during the evening. Nice view while having breakfast.

colorado 2-2013 115.jpg

We descended down...the smoky haze was trapped down low. The Utah desert was coming into view. Our temperature was also on the rise. 61 when we left camp...85 when we got to the Colorado River.

One stop...A desert oasis.

colorado 2-2013 133.jpg

colorado 2-2013 142.jpg

colorado 2-2013 122.jpg

With the Cruiser loaded, it was time to head north and back to the mountains of Park City.

Next...Nevada!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Just catching up on this thread. Great travels so far. You have visited some of my favorite places on the trip so far, Jackson, Wy, Crested Butte, Telluride, all good stuff. What a great family experience too. We have a little one due any day now and I am really getting stoked to share these kinds of adventures. Funny, I was just mentioning to my fiance the other day that we need to do some canyoneering this coming fall in southern Utah and I mentioned you. Hope one of these days we are able to connect! We are living in Jackson but will be living in Minturn full time by the end of the month. Still sorry it never happened when I was living in SLC. Keep the pics coming, loving them.

mph

Expedition Leader
Congrats on your newborn! Enjoy the wild ride! Definitely let u know some plans we have this fall. Getting the desert itch again...minturn? Great spot. Love the area around there to. Have u been to the Leadville mining Musuem yet. Really cool...be in touch...

Just catching up on this thread. Great travels so far. You have visited some of my favorite places on the trip so far, Jackson, Wy, Crested Butte, Telluride, all good stuff. What a great family experience too. We have a little one due any day now and I am really getting stoked to share these kinds of adventures. Funny, I was just mentioning to my fiance the other day that we need to do some canyoneering this coming fall in southern Utah and I mentioned you. Hope one of these days we are able to connect! We are living in Jackson but will be living in Minturn full time by the end of the month. Still sorry it never happened when I was living in SLC. Keep the pics coming, loving them.

mph

Expedition Leader
We got out to explore our home area...the Wasatch Mountains.

Nice to throw a line in...No fish though...

View attachment 174864

Lilly bringing a friend to enjoy the day...

View attachment 174865

We are off...Next up...Great Basin National Park, Zion, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase, and Bryce! Should be fun...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Great Basin, Zion, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase...

Well, our summer has been moving along quite nicely. However,our vacation is coming to an end...So, we thought of hitting some places that we haven't been too before or truly explored with our daughter.

The plan included visiting Great Basin National Park and exploring the caves and the oldest living things in the world-The Bristlecone Pine Trees. GB is fantastic!!! We enjoyed it greatly!

great basin-north rim 002.jpg

We stopped for gas but no dice! An amazing relic of days past...

great basin-north rim 011.jpg

With the tank topped off in Delta, we rolled West to the land of emptiness. A stark beauty!

great basin-north rim 007.jpg

Amazing to visit the place of the Ancient Ones. Seemed like a rough life 800 years ago but what do I know...The area was city comprised mostly of Pit Houses. All that is left are the "foundations".

great basin-north rim 019.jpg

great basin-north rim 036.jpg

The Lehman Cave tour is a must! The ranger led hike is very informative and enjoyable!

great basin-north rim 064.jpg

Louise and Lilly enjoying the caving!

great basin-north rim 074.jpg

I recommend the Wheeler Peak campground if you are there in the summer. During our stay, the temps were in the mid 60s. Great weather...A good day to fly a kite.

great basin-north rim 179.jpg

The hiking in the park is fantastic. Another draw is the large collection of Bristlecone Pine trees. The oldest living thing in the world. Some up to 5000 years old. Just crazy! We were all captivated and spellbound by the beauty!

great basin-north rim 186.jpg

When you are there, some of the trees are dated for you to read...3,000 years, 3,500 years...It is hard to wrap your mind around the numbers.

great basin-north rim 205.jpg

Even though she was quite nervous in stating her park pledge, Lilly became a junior ranger! We were proud parents:)

Zion is next...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
on the road to Zion...

We left Great Basin and headed down the western side of Utah. We drove payment the entire way but only saw about 3 cars that I remember. Our eyes viewed barren landscapes, mountains, springs and rivers, windmill farms, mining operations, a ghost town, and ancient petroglyphs. A drive that I would do again in a heartbeat!

great basin-north rim 194.jpg

One last look at the ancient ones...The oldest living things in the world. Crazy!

great basin-north rim 210.jpg

We were planning on spending a night in a hotel in Springdale. Right at the entrance to Zion...would this do? a ranch house right off the road that looks like it would house a weary traveler for a night.

The valley were broken up my small mountain ranges running north and south...

great basin-north rim 215.jpg

The one, really one tree we had seen in the past 60 miles. We pulled over...Crazy country...

great basin-north rim 218.jpg

Explored a mining, ghost town from the 1800s. Many structures and buildings. These caught our eye...I think they had something to do with burning off the other minerals besides gold.

great basin-north rim 228.jpg

Good lunch spot...

great basin-north rim 314.jpg

We went through an opening in the rock used by Native Americans for thousands of years. The Native are no longer migrating but what is left is their works of art. 1500+ images. This one was entitled the ZipperMan!

We rallied down to Zion and found a nice hotel and pool. Rested up and ready to go for tomorrow...The Narrows. The Narrows is an awesome, must-do Utah hike.
Here, I am leading Lilly into the water. The hike is done entirely in the water. A great, summer experience!

great basin-north rim 337.jpg

great basin-north rim 355.jpg

great basin-north rim 365.jpg

Lilly loved the water...She hiked miles and miles before we decided to turn around. A glorious place to hike and play!

great basin-north rim 374.jpg

Louise and Lilly discussing their way out. Just follow the stream down canyon...

The truck was packed and we headed south to the North Rim.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Looks like great fun! Spent a week in Lake City in July as well... was on of the many jeepers you likely saw. The ATVs were pretty thick but it was fun nonetheless. We ran the alpine loop and also up to an old ghost town called Carson that looked similar to one of the ones you had pictures of.

mph

Expedition Leader
Carson is awesome! Great fun...

Looks like great fun! Spent a week in Lake City in July as well... was on of the many jeepers you likely saw. The ATVs were pretty thick but it was fun nonetheless. We ran the alpine loop and also up to an old ghost town called Carson that looked similar to one of the ones you had pictures of.

mph

Expedition Leader
North Rim...

We have been to the Grand Canyon before but never to the North Rim. I have read and heard that it was a gorgeous place to visit...With high hopes, we made our way south and entered the Kabib National Forest. Gorgeous! Yes, indeed...Towering Ponderosas were everywhere...grassy meadows...flowers...it exceeded our expectations.

As the cruiser left Fredonia, AZ, the thermometer read 96 degrees. So, we topped off the tank and headed for the high country. Look closely at the sign...Gotta love a place like this! We got beer and gas...

great basin-north rim 428.jpg

The temperature dropped as we got close to 9000 feet. We pulled into a nice forested site and prepared a fire and had a little dinner. Lilly loves to get the fire going...

great basin-north rim 431.jpg

We watched the setting sun fade behind the burnt trees of a forest fire from the past...It was a glorious evening. 65 degrees while we enjoyed the fire...31 degree drop! Gotta love the high country in the summer!

great basin-north rim 438.jpg

The following morning, we drove into the Grand Canyon Park and received our backcounty permit. We were off...Gorgeous meadows, wild turkeys and the larger ponderosas were all eye candy as we rolled to our campsite.

great basin-north rim 534.jpg

The drive through the forest was like driving through the woods of the northwest. Huge trees, ferns, etc. The Monsoon rains caught us and we traversed the high county in a down pour. I was excited. I knew the sun would break and the pictures would be awesome...We got lucky!

great basin-north rim 596.jpg

great basin-north rim 563.jpg

The light show continued on and off through the evening.

great basin-north rim 625.jpg

great basin-north rim 623.jpg

After some 100 shots and hiking all around the peninsula our camp was located on, we called it a night. What a day!

great basin-north rim 2 001.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
North Rim Continued...

The following day, the sky was blue and the sun was shinning! We packed up and made a break back into the giant forest of the ponderosas.

great basin-north rim 2 015.jpg

great basin-north rim 2 016.jpg

Louise making the a final view our campsite.

great basin-north rim 2 018.jpg

We reentered the land of the giants!

great basin-north rim 2 041.jpg

We rolled down the road...Stopped at an overlook...Views...Views...

great basin-north rim 2 056.jpg

The meadows were everywhere...A nice place for a lunch spot...

great basin-north rim 2 063.jpg

The view down to Marble canyon...We never tired of the views galore!

great basin-north rim 2 069.jpg

The ranger was up scouting for fires. There were a few in the area.

great basin-north rim 2 072.jpg

We asked a few locals for directions to our next stop. They seem to look at us in a confused way...

great basin-north rim 2 073.jpg

Time for an evening snack...Making our way.

great basin-north rim 2 081.jpg

Another great day...Temperatures in the desert were quite enjoyable. Even a little chill in the air during the night. Fall coming???

Slots to come...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94