Any Fully built F150 expedition builds?

Wolvee

Adventurer
I've found several really nice superdutys and excursions but I have only found a few half done low budget F150s.

Links to builds preferred but pics and specs are great too.

Thanks,
W

tcdent

The payload of a half-ton is really limiting. I'd think most guys, especially when on a budget, would start with a rig that doesn't need suspension and drivetrain upgrades from the start. Depends on what you're trying to do with it, I guess.

(In the process of swapping a 1 ton drivetrain into my half-ton.)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Payload is limited for even a 3/4 and 1-ton, forget a 1/2 ton.

While most of the rig may handle some serious bolt-ons and weight, the axles/hubs themselves will prove to be the weak points.

A full float rear axle is the only way to dependably haul a good amount of weight. Even then, most 1-tons have a payload of just 3k lbs or so, in stock form.

Add a bunch of stuff like bumpers and winches and that payload capacity drops fast.

Kaisen

Explorer
This is Expedition Portal, so here's what you need to know:
A Tacoma Double Cab 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 236hp V6 rated at 21 mpg freeway with a 1200lb payload and 6300lb tow rating is the holy freakin' grail
A F150 Super Crew 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 365hp TTV6 rated at 21 mpg freeway with a 2300lb payload and 9200lb tow rating is something to look down your nose at
A GMC Double Cab 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 355hp 5.3V8 rated at 22 mpg freeway with a 2060lb payload and 11200lb tow rating is why government motors had a bailout
Now you know

jdinevens

Adventurer
i'd say wheel what you got or wheel to where you are comfortable. my girlfriend and i can live a while out of the back of my jeep LJ but i'd rather take the dog(soon to be dogs) and i like having camp already set up(bed of the pickup) so we take the f250.

Clutch

<---Pass
A Tacoma Double Cab 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 236hp V6 rated at 21 mpg freeway with a 1200lb payload and 6300lb tow rating is the holy freakin' grail
A F150 Super Crew 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 365hp TTV6 rated at 21 mpg freeway with a 2300lb payload and 9200lb tow rating is something to look down your nose at
A GMC Double Cab 6.5' Bed 4x4 with a 355hp 5.3V8 rated at 22 mpg freeway with a 2060lb payload and 11200lb tow rating is why government motors had a bailout
Now you know

That is funny, yet so true. Hey didn't Toyota receive a bailout from the Japanese government?

I am liking the GM's...I may jump the Toyota ship.

This is probably my favorite GM build...just needs to be an extra cab...err I mean "double cab" ;)

1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg

crawldit

Adventurer
I suppose a persons needs and budget dictate what a full on Expo build is to them. My F150 is 16 years old and considered a budget build by most (myself included). That being said, I have camped all over Alaska in it, driven down the alcan highway without a hick-up, and now I'm using it to explore Colorado. You build what you can afford, and for me, what I have is a workable expo build that I wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country tomorrow.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My buds F150 can only handle 1900 in the bed. But it's trailer weight rating says "Nimitz aircraft carrier". Makes no sense?

As long as you don't put a camper on the back of an F150 or tow more than 6000, you should be fine. "Full Expo" heavy bumpers and such aren't really needed on a F150/Tundra/Titan and may actually hamper perfomance. The shocks and suspension are optimized for certain weights. Just a Warn winch in a Transformer II felt like the truck would need stiffer springs up front. They ain't hardcore wheelers.

Shoot, I tent camp with a F250 and I'm loaded pretty heavey all too often. And I find myself with barrowed trailers and motorcycles in the bed often. I needed more than a 1/2ton and wanted Detroit Lockable heavy axles. You have to decide, and do your own research.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Hahaha, Thank you. That needed to be said.

Now you know

Last edited:

DaveNay

Adventurer
My F150 is nowhere near "fully built" but it has several factors that make it ideal for me. First and foremost is...it's paid for!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Anybody that is financing a truck should NOT be involved in some sort of "build" anyways IMO.

Financing a vehicle is pretty silly. But then, the vast majority of the US lives on credit, well beyond their means, so what do I know?

I dont owe a nickle on anything other than real estate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior