I just won a Govt. auction for a M101A1 2 Wheel 3/4 Ton Cargo Trailer

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice score on the M101A2.
I would change out the axle for one with a matching bolt pattern to your FJ or truck.
6 on 5.5 or 8 on 6.5 pattern.

Great trailers, I have owned mine for over two years and it is the best camp hauler there is.
Get a pintle hitch and see how you like towing the trailer before any change of the hitch.
You may need to flip the lunette to tow it level.

Post your build when you start.

My build http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Thanks Mark, I've seen your set up on here, looks good. My trucks Red too. I could have a carbon copy of yours. I've seen your build and like it. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions for you.
Nice score on the M101A2.
I would change out the axle for one with a matching bolt pattern to your FJ or truck.
6 on 5.5 or 8 on 6.5 pattern.

Great trailers, I have owned mine for over two years and it is the best camp hauler there is.
Get a pintle hitch and see how you like towing the trailer before any change of the hitch.
You may need to flip the lunette to tow it level.

Post your build when you start.

My build http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm a fireman here in Barstow, but live just a little south. I can't wait to get it home.
Will work very well behind the Chevy and wont be too hard on the FJC. Doesn't look to far for you to go and get it either. You'll be amazed at the amount of stuff you can get inside a 101. Nice buy!

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Mark, I just finished reading through your entire build thread last night. All I can say is , WOW! That's pretty much how I want to use mine. Thanks for posting up all that good info on here. I'm gonna have so many questions, when I read about what you and some of the other guys on here have done, it sounds like a foreign language sometimes. Well, I guess I'm gonna get an education. Please don't laugh at me to hard when I ask the simplest questions, there's gonna be quite a few. Thanks again and you've a wonderful looking family.
Looking forward to the build!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Ask away, two years ago I was just starting out too.
This forum is a great asset. Being from Pittsburgh, Pa. I have yet to see any trailers built like many on Expo.
If it ain't black and gold no one is interested. We have Cabellas and REI but they are clueless to most of the camping gear I inquire about.

Google is my go to when I want more ideas or info. M101A1, A2, and A3, bring up alot of information.
Post lots of pictures.

Also the FJ forum has several M101A2 builds.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
It's home

Well, I just picked up my new trailer today.

006.jpg

005.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the detachable trailer lights and zip ties. I only ran into one problem, the safety chains were just to short. A quick trip back into Barstow fixed that. I gotta say, I was a little nervous at first, but it towed really nicely behind the truck. It's a little more beat up than I realized, overall, not to bad though. There's some fiberglass patches over some old holes, and it's a little rustier than I thought. It'll do great for what I need it for.

My first fix is gonna have to be a new trailer light plug in. Are there adapters that go from the military plug to a seven pin? If not, can I wire a seven pin plug onto the wire harness?

I want to do as much of the work on this as possible. This is the first time that I've ever tried to do a project like this, so please use small words...LOL. So please help me out, I wont be able to make this a good looking and functional trailer without all your guidance and suggestions. Thanks.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
nice score

so many good examples here on this forum to rob ideas from

& the bed dumps too on that model if memory serves me right

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
John,

There are several ways you can adapt a new plug. You can take the cover off the conection box, located on the tongue and wire in a new pig tale. All the wires have a number on them and I can help with that, if you go that route. You have to change out the 24 volt bulbs to 12 volt, also. You can just cut the plug off and rewire that way or just run a whole new system. Lights, wire and pig tale.

I have done both ways and went with Military LED lights. It's not too hard to cut off the Military plug and rewire your plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94