Camera Straps: What do you use?

Scott Brady

Founder
I have always just used the OEM straps for all of my cameras, but we just bought an SL1 for lightweight moto use and as a backup body for my compact kit (I run SUPER lean when traveling, usually with only one body and two lenses).

This SL1 is so small that a neck strap seems, well. . . odd. I am thinking one of those straps that goes around the grip and kind of grabs your hand would be useful.

There are cuff straps:
929795.jpg

Grip Straps:
IMG_229081.jpg

A highly disturbing harness thingy
936415.jpg

What do you use? Are there a few products that are particularly good/useful. Is the grip strap a really bad idea?

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
On my Hexar I have an Op/Tech strap.

It's great because it has a wide neoprene neck strap that is great when you want an actual strap, it's comfy, strong, and very adjustable. Great for walking through a market or climbing a ridge.

But when you dont need it, the clips at the ends detach, and the short stubs remaining are male/female so they clip to themselves, giving you an adjustable short wrist strap.

ReporterBlack.jpg

I can't find mine on the website, they have a zillion options, but mine looks just like the one above, except it is just for a single camera.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have always used 1 inch Domke gripper straps. I like the clips that allow me to take off the neck part quickly!

JackW

Explorer
I was lucky enough to get one of the very last Luma Loop straps made before they shut down production due to Black Rapid being awarded a patent for their sling type strap. Although the two are similar, the Luma Loop was superior in the attachment hardware and craftsmanship and it works very well for carrying big Canon 1DS cameras with an L lens attached (big heavy camera that gets very uncomfortable with a conventional neck strap).

Luma Labs has introduced a new strap called the Cinch which might be worth looking into and there is always the Black Rapid strap which is a sling type like the Luma Loop.

Optech and Crumpler make good neck straps

tibfibber

Observer
the new Cinch in promising, with improved fittings, it's cheaper than the initial version I think... Great alternative to the Black Rapid slings. If I were to get another strap, that would be it.

I've been using Peter Derings straps with the capture plate, since the second kickstarter round. The leash design (first one you pictured) is very minimalist, stays out of the way, and detaches easier, and quicker then any other strap I've used. It's not really designed as a carry strap for a full SLR / lens setup, but more of a safety/tether for gear when using the Capture Plate (which is a really neat piece of kit) https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

Full time carry for a lighter body (Micro 4/3 etc) would be ideal.

ywen

Explorer
On my Hexar I have an Op/Tech strap.

It's great because it has a wide neoprene neck strap that is great when you want an actual strap, it's comfy, strong, and very adjustable. Great for walking through a market or climbing a ridge.

But when you dont need it, the clips at the ends detach, and the short stubs remaining are male/female so they clip to themselves, giving you an adjustable short wrist strap.

View attachment 168578

I can't find mine on the website, they have a zillion options, but mine looks just like the one above, except it is just for a single camera.

I've got the optech.. hated how the wide neoprene strap made my neck sweaty.

Gordy's camera straps are great http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

Sirocco

Explorer
Op-Tech grip strap here, love it.

I find neck straps always get in my way. Yes they are great for walking around but in and out of vehicles I think the grip strap works the best. Yes, Hiking gets awkward but when I need to carry it, I just drop it into a Crumpler bag to take away ;)

G

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've been using stock straps forever but I am heavily considering upgrading.

My biggest issue is a lot of aftermarket straps are elastic so the entire camera is bouncing up and down. Also I'm heavily considering a strap that attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom. That has definitely grown on me for casual shooting.

Check out the Black Rapid straps. So comfortable. It crosses over one shoulder and keeps the camera to the side like a holster, but the easily slides up the strap when ready to shoot. I HIGHLY recommend it. I would shoot desert races for hours and hours and the BR straps never hurt over time like the one that came with the camera. It's very natural for it to be on your side, more mobility if you are being active outdoors.

9ujadyve.jpg

Sirocco

Explorer
Nice thread return ;)

Since replying I have also tried out the Black Rapid strap.

I have managed to get mine set-up with both the Op-Tech grip strap AND the BR strap. So now I can carry my camera and also get my hand into the grip quickly and comfortably when needed. When I don't need the BR carry strap I can undo it at the tripod mount and Im back to using just the grip.

Best of both worlds ;)

G

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I use the BlackRapid sport strap. Stays out of the way, super comfortable, and tough as nails. Price isn't bad either, especially when you compare it to a Vulture. I love it for hiking, even fits under backpack straps while still being fully useable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94