IBS Dual battery fuse question?

Toycdn

Observer
Getting ready to install a IBS dual battery system into my 4runner. I see that the system does not include inline fuses on both batteries like the national luna and the DIY kit here do. Is there a reason why it doesn't? Should I add them to this kit, if so what size?

Also, the wiring diagram shows to run a negative cable from the AUX to Starter directly. Is it fine not to also ground from the AUX?

FYI, here is the wiring diagram. Actually this diagram doesn't show the negative wiring from AUX to Starter that is included in the kit.

3d89aa894b.jpg

Thanks!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
You can add the fuses. It's a good idea. Personally, if both batteries are under the hood, I wouldn't (and on my own truck, don't) bother.

Don't know many starters that actually have a place to connect a negative - they are mostly grounded through the engine ground strap.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Yea like DWH said dont worry about running a ground wire, its grounded through the bolts to the engine block. Although if you haven't done the big 3 mod then you should look into it. Replace the stock ground wires with better ones. I did on my 4runner and saw a small voltage increase. 3 Grounds include alternator/Engine block and Frame to the neg battery.

I do not have a fuse in between my batteries, I have a 2 gauge wire connecting both positives direct with no fuse. I do have a fuse off one battery that powers my fuse box though.

Toycdn

Observer
I have two other questions hopefully somebody more skilled in electrical than I can answer.

For my aux fuse block with a negative bus (blue sea six fuse), can I run the ground wire back to the aux battery? This battery is not grounded directly to the vehicle, instead it is connected to the negative of the main battery (which is grounded).

I have read it is good to upgrade the ground from the main battery to the body to the size of the new wire (4 gauge). Removing and installing new wire in place of the stock ground looks to be above my skill level. Can I just add a length of 4 gauge from main battery to frame, there would then be two ground wires to the body?

Ramjet

Explorer
I grounded my blue sea to the vehicle. There are photos somewhere, just can't find the thread.

dstock

Explorer
You mentioned fuses in the National Luna system, NL does not recommend using fuses when a winch is involved, so I imagine same scenario with IBS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94