FG Mirror stay disassembly

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm trying to separate the metal components of the mirror stay from the plastic so I can sandblast and powder coat. I can't figure out how to disengage the bottom piece, as shown in the line drawing. I've figured the rest of it out. Any hints?

Thanks!

mirror stay.jpg

pugslyyy

ah, figured it out. There are two phillips head screws connecting the steel tubing to a cast aluminum piece through a plastic collar. They get locked into place pretty good due to galvanic corrosion. PB Blaster and a hand impact tool once again save the day. (And a grinder to notch the one really stubborn screw.)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm trying to separate the metal components of the mirror stay from the plastic so I can sandblast and powder coat. I can't figure out how to disengage the bottom piece, as shown in the line drawing. I've figured the rest of it out. Any hints?

Thanks!

View attachment 168705

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the late reply ..... Looks like you figured it out anyway. Ours must be different here in Oz. They're riveted in so we only have to drill out the 4 rivets ( 2 on the front and 2 on the back of each mirror). We do 2 or 3 sets a week cause we extend the brackets out to cater for the wide bus bodies.....then re-powdercoat them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the late reply ..... Looks like you figured it out anyway. Ours must be different here in Oz. They're riveted in so we only have to drill out the 4 rivets ( 2 on the front and 2 on the back of each mirror). We do 2 or 3 sets a week cause we extend the brackets out to cater for the wide bus bodies.....then re-powdercoat them.
View attachment 168859

yes, it's a slightly different mount. looks like the aluminum casting is the same but the machine holes are a little different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles