Seeking input on range tents

dufferman

I have been looking at canvas range tents (cowboy teepee, etc) on the web and they look interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these tents (especially the David Ellis version)? Currently I have an Oztent RV4 and an REI backpacker tent. It is primarily for my son and me for scouting trips (car camping, not backpacking so weight is not an issue). Winter camping, over weekends, is a possibility. I like the Oz but am intrigued by the canvas range tents. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Cowboy Range Tents

Dufferman-
I've been using cowboy range tents for the last 20 years, and David Ellis tents exclusively for the last 12. In my opinion, there is no better tent design on earth. They set up in 5 minutes, they can handle snow loads, they withstand 60 mph (documented) winds, and they are just durn sturdy!
For a period of 4 years or so I was a contractor for the USFS, and I was living in my 10 X 10 David Ellis tent for months at a time. I recently sold my 10 X 10 and got an 8 X 8 range tent with a zipaway awning in the front. It's just me and my dog now for up to a week, and that size works perfect. For a weekend with your son, the 8 X 8 should work fine too, even with your gear inside.
The photo is of my new tent just set up in the yard.

2013-05-24_13-37-39_746.jpg

David Ellis is one of the best guys I've ever done business with. When you call, he answers the phone usually (unless his wife does). He stitches up your tent, and then he boxes it up and ships it out to you. Himself. Excellent customer service!
Feel free to ask me here or PM me if you have any specific questions.
Edited to add: Be prepared to talk to lots of folks in the campground, because they will all come over and ask you about the range tent!

Good luck!
Dennis

Last edited:

dufferman

Dennis,

Thank you so much for the input. That is the kind of info I'm looking for - I'm glad to hear they stand up good to the weather. I like the look of the tent especially with the awning. Thanks again!

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior