Mobile routers and wifi

xbox73

Adventurer
Those ubiquitous Linksys WRT54G routers run on 12V.

yeah, but the WRT54G doesn't have USB ports which precludes its use for my suggested usage model. It also doesn't have 802.11n or 5.2GHz. So while having the potential to run directly off a car battery is nice, that capability may not be outweighed its other disadvantages.

robgendreau

Explorer
You can wire them, IIRC, for PoE though. And flash them for HSMM-MESH, which is kinda cool but not for my intended uses at this point (I gotta figure out the licensing issues which seem rather daunting for use with other non-hams).

The AirOS software that runs on the Ubiquitis is pretty nice, from what I've seen. Although there seem to be licensing issues with DD-WRT, I believe you can load OpenWRT in the Ubiquiti routers. I don't know that it would be of much benefit, though; they're pretty customizable since they're used in commercial applications (like campground wifi). You can even buy them from www.dd-wrt.com with their software pre-loaded (mostly NanoStations).

If I were to add storage, I'd probably go with an old laptop or something rather than a NAS. And with most the routers I could use them to receive long range with over ethernet, so again the USB would be a second choice. And with a USB dongle you've got driver issues; with a router receiving WWAN you don't. I don't work for Ubiquiti or anything; T-P Link and some others seem to have some similar products, as does EnGenius. BTW, there is the AirGateway; it's a tiny wifi AP/switch that integrates with a PoE injector (it attaches inline between an ethernet power injector and the ethernet cable to say a regular router) and provides wifi. You can attach one (powered) other ethernet device, and it can act as a router or bridge. For indoor use, no external antenna or anything, but it does n as well (only 2.4 hz). Only costs $20 (their WiFiStation 1W USB adapter is $30, and apparently works well long-range if you believe the Amazon reviews).

Rob

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
No drivers needed for a simple USB drive plugged into a USB port on a WiFi router. And I wasn't suggesting anything near as complex as a NAS. Just a simple USB thumb drive (you can get some pretty large capacity fast USB thumb drives these days) or a regular hard drive or SSD flash drive in a USB drive enclosure. A regular home WiFi router acting as an AP, with an attached USB thumb drive, seems like a simple solution to the problem.

robgendreau

Explorer
No drivers needed for a simple USB drive plugged into a USB port on a WiFi router. And I wasn't suggesting anything near as complex as a NAS. Just a simple USB thumb drive (you can get some pretty large capacity fast USB thumb drives these days) or a regular hard drive or SSD flash drive in a USB drive enclosure. A regular home WiFi router acting as an AP, with an attached USB thumb drive, seems like a simple solution to the problem.

Sorry, I was thinking of USB wifi adapter. The ability to add thumb drives so folks could store photos, make disks of them for others, etc would be nice.

As I think I noted at the outset, if it's just a bunch of smartphones on this LAN, without internet it's surprisingly hard to share things or communicate. Now that I've zeroed in on hardware needs, it's on to the software or apps. I thought that somebody would have an outta-the-box setup for creating a usable, temporary network with tools for sharing, but not so much. Sorta like your own local cloud. But here we are in 2013 and sharing among mobile devices is harder than swapping floppies...kinda odd.

xbox73

Adventurer
'ES File Explorer' for Android works great. I tested this yesterday, using my Android tablet (just because the screen is bigger, should work identically for Android phones). I attached a USB thumb drive containing a few music, photo & video files to my home router. Once the Android tablet was connected to my WiFi home network, I was able to use ES File Explorer to explore other devices connected to my home router, including the music, photo & video files on the USB thumb drive connected to my home router, and play those files. If using the model I suggested earlier i.e. 1 main directory per user, with directory sub-trees for e.g. photos, videos etc. on the USB thumb drive, it should be easy for users to know where to upload their files, and for other users to know where to find them.

Sorry, I don't play in the Apple ecosystem, so I don't know what the Apple iOS equivalent of 'ES File Explorer' for Android is. A quick internet search reveals maybe 'Files Pro' or 'Goodreader'? Others with more iOS experience may be able to provide advice here.

Also, some routers have their own proprietary solution. My Asus RT-AC66U WiFi home router has 'AiCloud' functionality built in to the router. You enable it on the router, and there are AiCloud apps available for both Android & iOS devices to download. And boom, you're done. Obviously, if one goes this route, in an area without internet, phone/tablet users would have to download the AiCloud app beforehand, while they still had internet access.

robgendreau

Explorer
There's a couple of apps that do this on iOS (eg File Browser, Goodreader). But not as easy as it oughta be. Apple, sheesh.

But I'm looking for more, like messaging, chat or some other communication. Voice over LAN, a la walkie talkie apps. Doesn't seem to be that much without either internet or a server.

rockwood

Adventurer
One of the features I miss about my Nokia phone (actually the only feature) was its software that allowed me to use it as a hotspot. Incredibly useful and easy BT connection to my PC.
Did create an ad hoc network using the PC for a couple of computers once, so it can work.
Jailbreaking my Iphone 4 and using that as a hotspot without paying a ransom to ATT is something I would like to do when traveling for wifey's Ipad.

The other alternative is using those pay as you go cell data hubs that a number of carriers offer.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I'm sat near powderhorn ski resort, hooked up to a friends wifi over 200ft away- get 1 or zero with the laptop and use amn alpha usb wireless reciever and get 3 steady bars and can run netficks

I did by the alpha network extender - but to date I have not got it to work

But if I was with friends you could just share the internet and use a standard ethernet hub

PS - its late too many cuba libres and wine....also blue toothing to the latest Bose portable speaker- AWESOME sound !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles