Photo Critiqing Thread

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Timely photo. Looks like the bird missed crash landing in the food bowl by..."just that much".

Jack5885

Observer
Alright, I do not consider myself a good photographer, but here are the ones I've taken recently that I like the most. All are taken with a point and shoot Canon Powershot A530.

4 Peaks Road outside of Phoenix, AZ.
grZqZl.jpg

IWrl9l.jpg

This photo is from Portugal. I was on a boat so it was difficult to get a stable photo.
gDbl5l.jpg

Fountain at my school
velvql.jpg

View of Mt Wilson, CO. Near Telluride
dlVlml.jpg

A tree at my school:
igHtTl.jpg

Please tell me how to improve them!

Last edited:

Clark White

Explorer
I wen't out in the rain wanting to play around with some more artful photography to capture the feeling of the heavy rains we had here in town, but I'm not 100% happy or certain what I should have done differently?

I can't decide which one I like more, or if I need to do something differently? They are cropped down a fair bit because I had to shoot wide since I had to run around the car in 10sec I had with the self timer (camera was in the car for rain protection). Edit differently? Maybe a more moody color rather then B&W?

Ustadza says she loves this one, but it doesn't speak to me...what are your opinions?

And the same goes for this one; I like it but somehow it isn't speaking to me?

Thanks for any input!!!
Clark

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Clark, just as an experiment, can you clone out the little guy figure on the tank? It's totally drawing my eye, and shouldn't.

Clark White

Explorer
Clark, just as an experiment, can you clone out the little guy figure on the tank? It's totally drawing my eye, and shouldn't.

I tried with the LR4 spot removal, but it isn't cutting it. I could do it in PS, but I currently don't have PS though hopefully I'll have it in the next few days again. I can see what you mean about it drawing your eye though, I keep looking at it rather then the photograph as a whole...rather ironic since he's the reason I decided to take that picture in the first place, go figure!

Clark

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ustadza says she loves this one, but it doesn't speak to me...what are your opinions?

Thanks for any input!!!
Clark

Clark, I like this shot. I think the larger you can display it, the better it reads. When I first read this thread update, it was on my iphone, now I'm on my 27" monitor, and wish you had posted a larger size to your Smug account so that I could see it in X3 size :)

To make it pop more, I think some manipulation could be really cool. I would show the branches in the foreground in color, and mask out the background in black and white. I am incredibly busy right now this week, but if you send me the originals, or post them up on Smug, I'd bet others would be willing to play with these last two images as discussed and see what can be done with them.

Clark White

Explorer
I decided to go back and give a color version of these two a try. I think I like them better, but I'm not totally sold on the quality of color I ended up with?

For this one I took nwoods advice and tried to make everything B&W except the foreground branches...quite a tedious process with the limited masking ability in LR! I do like it though, I'll have to really bug my room mate about getting PS tonight so I can use it's better masking.

Clark

P.S. The copies of these last three in my smugmug are much larger, but these are the largest sizes I can link.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
P.S. The copies of these last three in my smugmug are much larger, but these are the largest sizes I can link.

Its easy to link larger versions, and ExPo's forum layout supports X2 size just fine. In Chrome or Firefox, right click on the image from Smug, and choose "Copy Image URL", then just paste it in ExPo between two tags. The last digits of the URL represent the display size Smug will provide to your linked image. clarkwhite.smugmug.com/photos/i-prn5wcT/0/[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]X2[/COLOR][/B]/i-prn5wcT-[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]X2[/COLOR][/B].jpg Your options are as follows:

S - Small
M - Medium
L - Large (what you've been using by default)
XL - Extra Large
X2 - Quite large
X3 - Gloriously Large
O - Original size that you upload to Smug

[img]http://clarkwhite.smugmug.com/photos/i-prn5wcT/0/S/i-prn5wcT-S.jpg

i-prn5wcT-M.jpg

i-prn5wcT-L.jpg

i-prn5wcT-XL.jpg

i-prn5wcT-X2.jpg

i-prn5wcT-X3.jpg

Clark White

Explorer
Sweet! Learn something new every day! I had been going to sharing and get a link, which doesn't go that large. Thanks!

Clark

t4rman

Adventurer
Resurrecting an old but useful thread.

I'm a first time smugmug user and am just now becoming somewhat proficient in digital photography. How would you improve these shots?

Edit: links are toast.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old but useful thread.

I'm a first time smugmug user and am just now becoming somewhat proficient in digital photography. How would you improve these shots?

DSC07932-L.jpg

This one needs a little something extra. Maybe something in the foreground. Otherwise, waiting till early morning or evening when shadows are being cast would help a lot.

DSC0556-L.jpg

I like this one, but the tree in the foreground is distracting.

DSC0780-3-L.jpg

Tripod and longer exposure and higher ISO would give a bit more light, detail, and color. Would have effectively blurred the clouds too. See pic below.

DSC0034-2-L.jpg

Rule of thirds. What was the subject for this pic? I actually like the lens flare. Would have been awesome-er if a MTB or motorcycle was blasting by with a trail of dust behind it!
Gallery

310157_666335606561_1533942510_n.jpg

This one was pretty much completely dark to the nekkid eye. I'll have to confirm the info, but I recall it being a 5 minute exposure on about ISO800.
Mirror Lake, looking back at Tincup Pass in Colorado.

t4rman

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice. Most of those photos were taken on Auto with a D60 and a cheapo f3.6 18-55.

This one was pretty much completely dark to the nekkid eye. I'll have to confirm the info, but I recall it being a 5 minute exposure on about ISO800.
Mirror Lake, looking back at Tincup Pass in Colorado.

That's a great photo. How did you get such a long exposure with so little noise?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Some of the newer DSLRs have pretty good long exposure noise reduction built in if you choose to enable the function.

For me, I usually just post process high ISO or long exposure shots in Lightroom 4 which has some pretty impressive noise reduction capabilities.

Thanks for the advice. Most of those photos were taken on Auto with a D60 and a cheapo f3.6 18-55.

That's a great photo. How did you get such a long exposure with so little noise?

No editing at all on this one...
i-WVdfv3s.jpg
(A little bigger, but not the original size, sorry, tried linking it...)

I was wrong about my info... was almost a year ago.... so..... pardon me!

Date Taken:2011-10-16 07:30:42
Camera:NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D7000
Exposure Time:0.0333s (1/30)
Aperture:f/3.5
ISO:100
Focal Length:18mm (27mm in 35mm)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94