Photo Critiqing Thread

Adventurer
Captured these images today, would love input on how to improve them.

47c066e0-e734-48b0.jpg

47c066e0-e73f-14e4.jpg

47c066e0-e779-6587.jpg

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The second image is not all that bad but the first and last do nothing for me. Depth of Field can make or break an image and for me 1 and 3 are broken. Couple of differnt ways this could have been worked. From a distance with a much higher f stop and much bigger lens to try to get more in focus and less DOF. You could have used a cell phone camera and achieved less DOF (about all a cell camera is good for imo). or you could have made a composite of each subject with 2 photos.
I do like the second shot however, If you had shot in landscape instead of portrait and shot with an appropriatly wide lens, you could have shot further to the side and brought the crusiers insignia out a little better while still having the chopper doing it's thing. This would have also killed any dead space like you have in the upper almost half of the image.

Adventurer
I was waiting for that comment, I was kind of limited with the lens, images were taken with a 100MM Macro, not my first choice, but other lens gave up the ghost and that is all I had left in the bag. So, I decided to shoot anyhow insteads of going home. Thanks for the input.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I was waiting for that comment, I was kind of limited with the lens, images were taken with a 100MM Macro, not my first choice, but other lens gave up the ghost and that is all I had left in the bag. So, I decided to shoot anyhow insteads of going home. Thanks for the input.

we are often limited by the kit we have with us. Even with the 100 in a landscape frame, you could have stepped back for a little better angle and DOF. using that 100mm might have been even more of a reason to do it as a composite. Is a great moment to cature though, right spot at the right time!

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, I've never tried doing composites in digital. Gives me something new to delve into.

Adventurer
Here is one more from Saturday, Same series of images, but I left the vehicle out and tried to frame it in thirds.

47c066e0-2129-04ca.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Here is one more from Saturday, Same series of images, but I left the vehicle out and tried to frame it in thirds.

47c066e0-2129-04ca.jpg

Oh this is a cool shot. I do not quite see where your going off of the thirds rule here as I do not see anything of real importance to the image at ther 1/3 marks. dropping the chopper down in the frame would have done the trick to some degree but one of the big things I noticed in you images is that you like to shoot in portrait orientation instead of landscape, which is really where this should have been given the lens and location. there is almost half of an image here that has no reason to look at it and what makes it worse is that that half is in the foreground. While rules are meant to be broken (sometimes often) as a general rule leave portrait orientation to portraiture and landscapes for almost everything else.

Hopefully you do not think I am picking on you by any means. I have been on a lot of forums where "every" image is "great" and I refuse to give miss guilded props anymore. I love the idea, the location and subject, as well as the exposure seems to have been nearly spot on

scosanf

Observer
Here's one I took right at daybreak Sunday morning, and I just love the light quality. This is my favorite "accidental" I've ever taken.

uploadfromtaptalk1337646011172.jpg

And another I'm pleased with from Saturday evening.

uploadfromtaptalk1337646110501.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
That first and last 6 degrees of sun is always great to shoot in, known as the golden hour. My only issue with the first image is the amount of dead space in the upper half of the image. you could have placed the horizon along the upper 1/3 of the frame and really nailed it IMO

uploadfromtaptalk1337646011172.jpg

Adventurer
"Hopefully you do not think I am picking on you by any means. "

I read your input and threw my camera in the pond and cried for hours.....

And all I have is this to show for my efforts.

47c066e0-67c2-1eb3.jpg

No, really, I appreciate the constructive criticism...and the pond shot was simply testing the housing on my wife's new camera in failing light.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
"Hopefully you do not think I am picking on you by any means. "

I read your input and threw my camera in the pond and cried for hours.....

And all I have is this to show for my efforts.

47c066e0-67c2-1eb3.jpg

No, really, I appreciate the constructive criticism...and the pond shot was simply testing the housing on my wife's new camera in failing light.

hahaha you never know, people take things very wrong in net space. The fish shot is kinda cool. I have been considering a waterproof housing for my wifes P7100. Sadly I have yet to find anything so far

Clark White

Explorer
I don't quite like it, but I'm not sure what I should have done different? Maybe frame it so the car is on the right side, not the left?

Thanks!
Clark

Adventurer
Hind sight is 20/20, I wish I had dragged the line out of the background of the image. Any other thoughts at how this could have been executed differently.

a6f808a7-5cb3-05de.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
It would be nice if there was more sand background above the focal piece but that may not have been an option depending on what was there to shoot.

I'm not a huge HDR fan but I have found that rusty metal can make really cool HDR images if you have the software. Something about rust that looks pretty cool when processed as an HDR image.

I don't quite like it, but I'm not sure what I should have done different? Maybe frame it so the car is on the right side, not the left?

Thanks!
Clark

The whole car has plenty of character. My only thoughts would have been to focus on one port of the car, a close up of the headlights or grill maybe. OR compose the shot with the whole vehicle, an angle of about 45 degrees from a corner is generally appealing.
Examples of what I tried to explain above...
215848_618223019571_62002887_33141984_442248_n.jpg

207241_618222924761_1675268_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles