Photo Critiqing Thread

cruisertoy

Explorer
So I posted this in the Artistic thread, but it just doesn't pop for me. Any recomendations?

Slot1.jpg
[/IMG]

Slot picture info.JPG

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think maybe if you crop it down, hide some of the black, and then whip out your magic software and crank down the totally blown out sky. You might be able to recover it with some HDR settings, but you might also have to select out the sky, drop the exposure on it separately from the canyon, and so forth.

GaryMc

Explorer
It's also a nice skill to just know when the lighting is all wrong and all the editing in the world won't fix it.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Gary got this one right. Just too much range to deal with. I gave it a shot below but the image just looses too much when you need to push the lighting that far. For me I found when shooting slot canyons I usually avoid having any sky or brightly lit areas in the frame.

It does look like a pretty nice canyon to play in though. :sombrero:

Slot1-2.jpg

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I think Brad probably nailed it with the crop but I did try it as well.
Some images just cant be fixed out side of the camera. The right moment also means the right light.
Slot1-Edit.jpg

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks for trying guys. I'm fumbling through this photography thing. I just stood there in Little wild Horse Canyon and had so many different shades of sandstone showing up it looked really cool. I was guiding 20 girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through the canyon and didn't have time to do much photo wise. I was there with my kids the week before and will be down with 10 Scout this week end if I'm lucky. I just need a trip by myself to really look around and focus-no pun intended.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Weird, I can see the link to your image in my email notification but not in your post?? Anyway, very nice shot.

Here's a re-post of your image.

Image should be seen right here, but it taint there. :sombrero:

Edit: Hmm, now I am really confused. My attempt to post the link to your image also doesn't show up. I can see the link in my post in edit mode but not when viewing the thread normally?? Maybe some setting you have on Flickr?

petrolclock

Weird, I can see the link to your image in my email notification but not in your post?? Anyway, very nice shot.

Here's a re-post of your image.

Image should be seen right here, but it taint there. :sombrero:

Edit: Hmm, now I am really confused. My attempt to post the link to your image also doesn't show up. I can see the link in my post in edit mode but not when viewing the thread normally?? Maybe some setting you have on Flickr?

not sure thats the first time i have ever used flickr :confused:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Off Camera Lighting Critique.

So, I'm a relative novice to off camera lighting, but am trying to work it out. My test dummy,...thoughts on this look? My goal is something that looks hyper-realistic although I'm not sure I've got the colour balance down quite right yet.

i-S8RrBDh-XL.jpg

Adventurer
Captured this image a while ago in the afternoon sun.

Not really Expedition related, but still resulted in a nice cup of tea

47c066e0-fcbc-7412.jpg

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles