Considering W250 cummins auto 4x4, please help a wandering land rover guy.

evilfij

Explorer
A very late first gen W250 has come up for sale locally. Standard cab and auto, but 4x4 and an LE and not rusted out like most of them. What should I look out for? Will it likely have D60s or D61? I would want to add a topper. Are they dodge specific or any 8ft topper should work?

How much should I budget to swap in a standard? Should I look for an NV4500 or getrag? Will the auto last?

Please help. I can build a rover in the dark but know little about anything domestic.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A NV4500 would be the better swap. I would pm "pulltilbroke". He has done many of these swaps and is very knowledgeable on the first gen Dodges.

In general, there really isn't a lot of things that go wrong with the first gen trucks. The "killer dowel pin" or kdp is something to look into. Cummins Forum is a great resource. The first gens tended to rust along the top of the windshield, so look at that area.

Rot Box

Explorer
Very reliable, durable and simple trucks :cool: If it's 91.5 or newer it should have the 4 speed auto with overdrive and thus no D61's. (axles should be D60 and D70U with 3.55 or 4.10 gearing with an optional limited slip rear). If the auto shifts and holds gears fine and the fluid stays clean I would run it. Most of the reliablility issues came from excessive heat and load. If you're not planning on hauling heavy just keep the power output close to stock and you should be just fine. That said definitely look into a large aftermarket cooler and a trans temp gauge. The stock cooler is quite small imo..

Only downfall I can think of is they ride very rough. I made a habit out of airing my tires down a bit while off road which made a big difference.

Keep us posted,

Andrew

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My thoughts...

-If your going to swap a manual just go to a 6spd :)

-check the bracket that mounts the steering box to the frame. Most of them will crack or are cracked.

They are great trucks but need love just like any vehicle 20+ years old.

evilfij

Explorer
Ended up selling before I could get to it.

I think I will hold out for the grail. Extended cab, 92-93 W250 LE with a proper manual trans.

evilfij

Explorer
Found another one. This one has a blown auto.

GF wants an auto so how much to rebuild or replace the A518?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nah, you don't want a slush box. Swap in a NV4500 or NV5600 then swap the girlfriend for a newer model that can drive a stick
histerical.gif

Joking of course.... :sombrero:

evilfij

Explorer
Nah, you don't want a slush box. Swap in a NV4500 or NV5600 then swap the girlfriend for a newer model that can drive a stick
histerical.gif

Joking of course.... :sombrero:

It is so painful watching her drive stick. She is fine with the lotus and the defender, but the VW TDI is hard to drive because the ECU cuts power and shuts off at 700rpm or so.

Anyway, slush box is fine I just need ballpark on a rebuild. Reman prices seem excessive. It could just be the torque converter or something stupid.

This is an extended can long bed and looks to be in very nice shape.

JohnsD90

It is so painful watching her drive stick. She is fine with the lotus and the defender, but the VW TDI is hard to drive because the ECU cuts power and shuts off at 700rpm or so.

Anyway, slush box is fine I just need ballpark on a rebuild. Reman prices seem excessive. It could just be the torque converter or something stupid.

This is an extended can long bed and looks to be in very nice shape.

The newer tdi's feel like gas cars in terms of getting off the line, the 99.5 requires no throttle.

The Cummins 5 speed (getrag) has the granny first and in my opinion is impossible to stall, and that's 3.54's and 33" tires.

The 727 (3 speed no OD, comes with 3.07 gears) in the 91 and older truck is pretty good, not as many problems as the 518, I can do like 65 in 3rd with 3.07's and 235/85/R16 tires, so the no overdrive isn't too bad, put some 33" tires on it and I bet 70 is obtainable with reasonable rpms.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
I have the a518 auto, I'd rather have the 5speed, but mine is holding up fine. The problem I had was the TPS sensor and the coolant temp sensor, I bypassed both. Is your wife really going to drive the truck? My wife rode in mine once in 1.5 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier