custom trailer conversion companies

Darwin

Explorer
I am in the planning stages of converting a 7x12 cargo trailer for "soft road" travel. I am not looking to build something to that will handle the Rubicon, but rather a livable trailer that will stand up to abuse and the heat of Baja for surfing trips, but also the cold of Wyoming. I am curious if anyone knows of or can recommend a custom builder that could assist with the designing of this trailer, but also some of the build. I am not impressed with the standard RV industry stuff, although i have looked at a company, "livin lite" who makes the camplite trailers, and may end up just going this route if my plan is not feasible from a financial or practical point of view.

Some of my concerns are.
Heating, insulation, cooling, electrical, and plumbing.

I would be living in this trailer three days a week while I am at work and then dragging it down to mexico when I am on break. The travelers would consist of my girlfriend, myself, and a 130 lb. dog. I have driven through Mexico and central america a fair bit with just a truck, sleeping in the front seat, or staying at hostals. I am pretty much over that and would like to be much more self reliant, and comfortable.

Any suggestions??

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I don't know of anyone that will do the "conversion" of an existing trailer. That said, it's not too hard to do most of that stuff yourself, but is very time consuming. Most places will put in the exterior stuff like doors, fans, and windows. That is how I did mine. If I had more money than time though, I'd probably go with something from Livin-Lite. I like their trailers a lot.

Don

-

Darwin

Explorer
Elmo, you have a nice trailer! I am thinking about something like that, with maybe an extended tongue to mount a small motorcycle on the front. I keep going back and forth between a cargo trailer conversion and an already built Livin lite trailer.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think I'd look hard at the LL..I bet they could beef it up just a bit and you'd have a superior platform

Cascadian

Observer
I like LivinLite a lot as well and have been keeping an eye on them since they hit the market a few years back.

They can do some custom upgrades for ruggedization and ride height I've seen. The interior has improved a bit in comfort level the last few years as well.

The main reason I don't own one yet is the lack of 4 season insulation options. Our primary use would be in the mountains in the winter, but that's not been something they seem to want to go after yet.

Darwin

Explorer
"The main reason I don't own one yet is the lack of 4 season insulation options. Our primary use would be in the mountains in the winter, but that's not been something they seem to want to go after yet. "

That has been my same thought. I really wish they would branch out into the 4 season for their trailers. They look nice, I am still unsure about how well they would hold up to bumpy roads in Baja though. I do wonder if I could make it work with having them install a cassette toilet like in their truck campers, and possibly add some more insulation, and I suppose to could do insulated tanks and 12 volt heat tape on the fresh and grey tanks, a sturdier frame similar to the toyhaulers, and I would like the extended deck on the back for a small motorcycle. I have not contacted them yet about any of this or how much custom work they would be willing to do. I have heard they do a little bit though. I mostly likely would work through them and not a dealer. I still have also not decided on a size either, I would be dragging this thing to mexico and central america so smaller is ideal but I also need to live out of it in Wyoming in the winter 3 days a week. Maybe I am asking too much.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Here's a link for VRV. The guy that started the aluminum Livin' Lite trailers moved some of his work to another supplier, mostly the small toy hauler, so that he could do more custom work easier. It's been a little hard getting info as his website isn't done and there is only the facebook stuff to look at, but he lists his email and has been telling people to let him know what they are interested in and he has info he sends them from what I've read on the site. It might not hurt to give him a shout that way.

I've been looking at how to go with a trailer myself that will stand up to dirt roads in WY and the weather year round. I'm wanting something a little more basic than most such as no on board water or toilet and possibly not even the kitchen as I have all of the camping gear including a PETT Toilet system. I just need a shelter with a set up to sleep as I can't do the tent and ground stuff anymore with my back.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Lightweight-Cargo-Toy-Haulers/279747078718449

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I forgot to mention that I talked with Cowboy4x4 in PM's and he will do work on cargo trailers like the one he made and posted here. I haven't seen him around for a bit though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz