Goal Zero Yeti 400 Experiences?

Captain Jim

Reply to cactusjk
As you stated you would still need an inverter. I think the Extreme 350 with inverter is in the neighborhood of $260. The Extreme 350 is $195 as I just ordered one to use as a power-pack to chain with my Yeti 400 and double the battery power and length of time I can use it. The Yeti 400 has a better Inverter. I was not really fond of the inverter with the 350 so I waited on the Yeti 400. However the 350 as a power-pack is great. I went with the Yeti 400 and later added the 350 when it went on sale and a chaining cable. It supplies all my needs I am quite happy with this set up.

Last edited:

Captain Jim

What kind of case is that with the Goal Zero Lights in it.

Did you make it, or was the holes cut out for something else. It is nice.

cactusjk

Explorer
Where did you get the 350?

Reply to cactusjk
As you stated you would still need an inverter. I think the Extreme 350 with inverter is in the neighborhood of $260. The Extreme 350 is $195 as I just ordered one to use as a power-pack to chain with my Yeti 400 and double the battery power and length of time I can use it. The Yeti 400 has a better Inverter. I was not really fond of the inverter with the 350 so I waited on the Yeti 400. However the 350 as a power-pack is great. I went with the Yeti 400 and later added the 350 when it went on sale and a chaining cable. It supplies all my needs I am quite happy with this set up.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy from Sweden

Iam not an expert in this field

For You that dont have so much money or need for the best:) Maybe a tip. I only do normaly 2 -3 days trips.

I bought a cheap batterybox around 30 dollars and put in my old AGM 70 ah battery (probably fits a 100ah there). I dont know if I can charge it via the car or a solar panel? But anyway the Goal Zero Yety 400 looks nice but is only a 33 ah battery, I have twice as much to drive my fridge at much lower cost.

As we have little strong sun here in Sweden a package like yety 400 + solar panel would not make so much since like a big 120 ah in a cheap batterybox would do for a cheaper price and not struggle with a solar panel when there are no sun with like a 33 ah battery.

What I mean is a 100 ah battery + battery box is about 150 dollars and a yety 400 is about 460 dollars with a 33 ah battery

I do not have so much money, thats why I have this box. My box only have one 12 v port. Though I have two 12V ports on my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and two USB ports.

Similar to this. Offen You can fit a 120 ah battery in those boxes.

$_57.JPG

Anyway You can build Your one box

spikemd

Explorer
I agree you can build a battery box for cheaper, but you aren't getting a Yeti/Extreme. The Yeti has a built in charge controller, inverter, 12v and 5v USB outputs, plugs for lights and inputs for solar panels. The headache of putting all that onto your battery box would increase the price by double, plus be large, bulky and you would have to wire it yourself. The battery you are using is not sealed and shouldn't be stored in the cabin of your vehicle. Yes, the Yeti is more expensive, but it is not really comparable to a plain battery.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I agree you can build a battery box for cheaper, but you aren't getting a Yeti/Extreme. The Yeti has a built in charge controller, inverter, 12v and 5v USB outputs, plugs for lights and inputs for solar panels. The headache of putting all that onto your battery box would increase the price by double, plus be large, bulky and you would have to wire it yourself. The battery you are using is not sealed and shouldn't be stored in the cabin of your vehicle. Yes, the Yeti is more expensive, but it is not really comparable to a plain battery.

Hi

As I have a flat and have a long distance to my garage with no option to charge my battery in the box in the garage or in the vehicle, I ordered a Yeti 400 (version 2) with the new battery. My battery in the box is to heavy to carry to my flat for charging. The Yeti can be charged in the vehicle.

My battery in the box is a 70ah battery and it could replace the stock battery if flat.

Aniway Goal Zero seems to have some problem with the manufacture of the Yeti or with the new battery, they havent been delivered for months now.

I ordered mine 19 mars from Germany and according to goalzero in US Estimated ship out date is 5/15/14. As I live in Sweden it will probably take 3 weeks more. I am soon going camping for 4 days and the battery will not be delivered to that trip so I have to bring my battery in the box. That is bad.

The version 2 The Yeti 400 will now discharge less out of itself.

I already got 2 nomad 20 solarpanels and the 2 Light a Life Led lights from Goalzero for the battery.

I have a AGM battery 70ah in the box and it will be in the vehicle for my camping trip. You say it is not sealed shouldn't be stored in the cabin of my vehicle, but I think that the Yeti also have a AGM battery and is not sealed?? I think a AGM battery is pretty safe to have in the cabin, but safer under the bonnet:)

Even the bigger ARKPAK are made to have in the cabin and the buyer have to put in a 130ah AGM battery or similar in it. Thats is a bigger battery. I dont like some emissions from a battery, but I hope a AGM battery is pretty safe.

ARKPAK

0003403_arkpak_12v240v_battery_box.jpeg

Sloan

Explorer
Does anyone know what's going on with the Yeti 400? I was going to grab one for an upcoming trip but if there is a newer/better version maybe I'll wait.

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
The Yeti 400 was updated with a better battery from a new supplier earlier this year. I'm guessing the design will be around to stay for a while.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi
Still waiting for mine

I found this text on a German page and I translated it (with google)

This Yeti 400 solar generator has got a new battery, so that the self-discharge has been improved tremendously. Previously had the Yeti 400 at least every 6 months to be charged. With this new model, this time was extended from 9 to 12 months. The software of the device has been improved, which includes that the Yeti 400 is up-to-date complete.

trouthead

I just ordered one from Amazon. Is it safe to assume that it's the "new" Yeti 400? Any ideas on how to tell?

beefy_tires

Hi
Still waiting for mine

I found this text on a German page and I translated it (with google)

This Yeti 400 solar generator has got a new battery, so that the self-discharge has been improved tremendously. Previously had the Yeti 400 at least every 6 months to be charged. With this new model, this time was extended from 9 to 12 months. The software of the device has been improved, which includes that the Yeti 400 is up-to-date complete.

I've heard that of a Dutch supplier too. Let's hope the new one is here in time. Going on a roadtrip august 1st :)

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden
I have only tested my Goal Zero Yeti 400 at this weekend camping trip. I powered two Goal Zero LED lights and and my Waeco fridge from evening to early morning and the yeti 400 was down to 60%. We drove in the morning and I charged the yeti 400 to 100% in about 5 hours via the 12V.

156443974.jpg

Video, se it in 1080p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles