Goal Zero Yeti 400 Experiences?

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
hi

Just got a new Yeti 400 from the netherlands and I can charge it so it works.

As they told me it was a hole batch of Yeti 400 out there so other 400 Yeti owner will have the same problem that I had with the faulty power inlet socket. Maybe it is only the export versions?

I found a new 400 Yeti movie on the Youtube

truffledog

looks super interesting, LiOn battery .. bot only available in Mar 2015 according to website.

Have you seen these?
enerplex1.jpg

enerplex2.jpg

Theres nothing in the 400 wHr department but they are definitely giving the Goal Zero Yeti's a run for their money. They Y1200 is only 40 lbs compared to Goal Zero's which is over 100! They have some other interesting products on their website.http://www.goenerplex.com

395North

Adventure Beckons
Anderson Connectors and Yeti

I have the Extreme350 which is the precursor to the Yeti. In Baja last month I ran the ARB 50qt fridge (smaller and more efficient) off an Escape 30 daisychained to a Nomad 27 and Nomad 13.5 while stationary for a few days. I was able to run the fridge overnight and with sun able to run the fridge and recharge the Extreme the next day. It is a great basecamp setup as long as u dont run out of sun.

My buddy has the Yeti400 and it is a sleaker design with inverter built in but probably the same 33ah battery.

I also rewired my fridge connectors to Anderson PowerPlugs so the stay secure. The dang cigarette connectors are horrible.

I love Anderson Plugs! I have my ARB fridge setup with Anderson PowerPlugs also.
I'm considering getting a Yeti 400, and was wondering if you can run your fridge from the anderson connector on the Yeti. Or can I use the anderson connector to charge the Yeti?
Thanks!

395North

Adventure Beckons
Hi Matt,
you mentioned that the 12v plugs are bad for charging. Do you use the anderson plug to charge? I'm about to buy a yeti 400 and I'm slightly confused about the purpose of the plug.
I've love to use the anderson for charging the Yeti, or even running my fridge from that anderson plug.

Thanks,
Jan

langcow

I believe the Anderson ports are for chaining multiple yetis together. I'm not sure what else they can be used for. I'm planning on connecting extra batteries to mine - one battery on each port so I'll have 3x the stored power.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden.

I bought mine from the Netherlands.

I tried to charge mine with the wall charger and did not work the second time I have done it. It worked the first time I got it. I thought the wall charger was broken and contacted my supplier, and they mean that it is the socket on the 400yeti that is bad.

Now I have to send it back and it will cost a fortune in postage.
The answer

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We just recently got notice that we received a batch of Yetis with a defect 220V wall charger socket. At that time we shipped your order we weren't aware of this.

You can return the Yeti 400."

Just tried to charge my European Yeti 400 and this is my second unit, se above.

It worked the first time i charged it, the same with the first unit, the second time it does not work. I dont want to pay a additional 123 dollar to netherlands for shipping.

Look here, nothing happens. They seams to have big quality problems and this unit is from a "good batch"?

158636655.jpg

Blacknight

Observer
Straight from Goal Zero: ↓↓

There is no under-voltage protection built into the Anderson PowerPole ports on the side of the Yeti 400, meaning if you try to power devices from these ports you could damage the battery. These ports are meant for chaining other Yeti 400's or Extreme 350's for longer runtimes.

langcow

Omar - try doing the reset directions. You open the device up and disconnect the battery for a bit and then put it all back together. There are directions in the manual I think. Hopefully that'll help.

snowblind

Adventurer
Hi Matt,
you mentioned that the 12v plugs are bad for charging. Do you use the anderson plug to charge? I'm about to buy a yeti 400 and I'm slightly confused about the purpose of the plug.
I've love to use the anderson for charging the Yeti, or even running my fridge from that anderson plug.

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Jan.

The yeti has only one INPUT plug. It is the Goal Zero propriety connector (8mm?) I was complaining that when using a car cigarette adapter it was very easy to dislodge the cigarette end from the vehicle socket.

Matt

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I got a new charger and now it works, it is not the same charger, they say it is a goal Zero "universal" charger and it has a lower output. They did not have the original charger for the Yeti 400 at home, I have asked that they send me the correct one as I think this one take longer time to charge with.

Anyway, I got my Roadpro 12 stove and use it with the Yeti 400 to heat a can of soupe for dinner.

I made a movie in swedish-english:) and see it in 1080p

whoster69

I'm looking at possibly getting a Yeti 400 for, among other things, running my CPAP machine while camping. Lots of good info. Thanks!

imnobody

Anderson port question

Guys, new to this forum but been following this thread for a while. We bought a Yeti 400 from Amazon and been using it for a month. We live completely off-grid in the South Pacific so Yeti is used at night for backup power supply.

Our house is completely solar, outfitted with mppt charge controller. When I charge the Yeti through the 12V port, somehow the two charge controllers (house/yeti) counteract with one another (what GZ customer service told me) so it does not pull anything at night (even when my house battery bank is full). I was told the only way to remedy this is to charge through the Anderson port.

GZ meant for the Anderson port for chaining only. Has anybody tried charging through the Anderson port through an external battery bank? Does it pull as much after dark as it does during sun hours? Any input on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles