Small Quiet Generator

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hahahah its kinda like when we get hail in PHX !!!

If you ever get to Maui head up to Polipoli state park
Used to go up there a lot and nobody would believe you are on Maui in this huge evergreen forest !

Still miss my island home ! But az is kinda diverse like Maui was :)

There are trees in Arizona...........Com'on now!........:ylsmoke: (Only kidding, I've been to the White Mountains! Beautiful!)

BTW, on the gen-set question...........one word...HONDA...I just bought an EU2000i. Amazing piece of equipment. $899 with free shipping from Electricgeneratordepot.com

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If you are running a diesel truck (and assuming you use propane camping), be sure and get a generator that you can run on propane so you don't have to carry 3 fuels. The sine wave generators (inverters) become important if you want to run electronics (or a microwave oven in a camper).

There's a direct relationship between price, noise, and efficiency. A cheap generator is going to be noisy and thirsty compared to an expensive one at the same wattage.

I have a fairly expensive 3500W diesel genset, but it sips fuel at 0.1-0.2 gph and pulls from my main (100 gallon) tank. Knowing that in the event of a power failure / natural disaster I could retreat to the RV for weeks at a time without resupply is a nice security blanket.

rcharrette

Adventurer
We had a Honda EU 1000 for 3 years and id was great. Very quiet and reliable. Now we have a bigger camper so I picked up a EU3000 off Craigs list. Still very nice and queit but it looks like it's leaking oil warm and also won't restart when hot (have to let it cool down). I like it but am starting to regret not getting a new one! Anyway, bottom line is the Honda's are nice a quiet for a generator.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
It's a Next-Gen 3500W, powered by a single cylinder kubota diesel.

It's a love-hate relationship. Love the diesel and the efficiency, hate the noise / vibration.

Well with a single cylinder thumper I'd expect a bit of vibration. You can build a good noise dampening enclosure using rigid insulation (one does need to do a bit of engineering to keep cooling air flowing correctly). But I'll be darned if I can find that generator anywhere on the web! Google has failed me.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Timely topic- a few years ago I bought a nice Generac/Briggs and Stratton 5000watt generator for the 'just-in-case/SHTF' scenario. While it could run a house fridge, a portable ac or heater and even has a 220v outlet I have yet to really need it. I've been thinking about selling it and getting a smaller 2000watt inverter generator. At one time there were only Honda EU and Yamaha generators in that category but today there're more than a dozen inverter generators on the market including Generac, Honeywell, Ryobi and several more rebadged brands- much cheaper than the Hondas. Time to read some online reviews for comparison.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Well with a single cylinder thumper I'd expect a bit of vibration. You can build a good noise dampening enclosure using rigid insulation (one does need to do a bit of engineering to keep cooling air flowing correctly). But I'll be darned if I can find that generator anywhere on the web! Google has failed me.

Here it is - http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/3kwmarine.html, but with a radiator fitted. Model UCRV1-3.5VRR

image007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94