Small Quiet Generator

D45

Explorer
I would just like to have one available....not really sure what I would use it for, but I have seen a ton of very lightly used camping style generators all over Craigslist and the internet for $200-$250

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
The Honda's or Yamaha's are obviously great pieces of equipment. For the Ham radio Field Day event last weekend we used a Harbor Freight Predator brand 3200 watt generator to run three hf, a vhf and a satellite (2 more vhf) radios plus 7 single tube fluorescent lights. This was MAYBE 1,000 watts of load if all the radios were keyed down at once. We also used a Honda 6500 watt generator alternately (one was running while the other cooled down and was refueled). The Predator obviously burned less fuel but it was remarkable how long it ran on a given amount of fuel. I have no idea what the longevity would be but right now they are on sale for $290 ! ! ! I'd say it was about the same noise level as the Honda 6500 we also used (i.e. not all that quiet).

People always want to go with large generators but the secret is right sizing. If a big ol' 6500 watt generator will only run for 8 hours on 5 gallons of gas and a big disaster hits locally (a Katrina level event) how many days are you going to be able to keep that beast fueled? It would take 25 gallons of gas to run that beast only 8 hours a day for five days. Conversely a 2000 watt generator could run the same amount of time on around five gallons of gas. Just sayin'.

Idlehour

Observer
Inverter generators are amazingly compact compared to traditional generators. Look for products with the letter "I" in the model name.
One area where the premium brands, honda and yamaha, do make a difference is with startup surge. Tools that take a fair bit of juice to get moving like refrigerators or circular saws will shut down many of the cheaper brand generators. The premium generators are designed to handle a heavy load for a short amount of time.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I use a Honda eu2000i - quiet and reliable. They also make a 1000 watt model in the same series. I think these are the best quality generators available - and the quietest.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I would just like to have one available....not really sure what I would use it for, but I have seen a ton of very lightly used camping style generators all over Craigslist and the internet for $200-$250
I think you're answering the 'what would you use it for?' Question with 'nothing'. Unless you just want emergency preparedness then a generator doesn't serve a purpose camping (unless running the satellite tv, fridge and air conditioning in a RV). Go solar for small camping power needs.

Honu

lost on the mainland
We did some 2 week trips in the woods and cloudy a lot ! If we only had solar we would have been hosed we could run it in eco mode for a few hours a day and keep our two batteries topped up for our arb/engel fridge basic lights etc... Keeping the batteries topped is always better than running them down
No tv no satellite no washer dryer etc.. No aircon etc...

Sure we could start the car up but why bother when a small generator is more efficient more quiet less pollution dont need it for say 4-5 day trips but they are handy :) and we do solar as much as we can

Here in az I also like to camp in trees so solar is not always the answer :)

I think you're answering the 'what would you use it for?' Question with 'nothing'. Unless you just want emergency preparedness then a generator doesn't serve a purpose camping (unless running the satellite tv, fridge and air conditioning in a RV). Go solar for small camping power needs.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
There are trees in Arizona...........Com'on now!........:ylsmoke: (Only kidding, I've been to the White Mountains! Beautiful!)

BTW, on the gen-set question...........one word...HONDA...I just bought an EU2000i. Amazing piece of equipment. $899 with free shipping from Electricgeneratordepot.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior