The Ambiguously Straight Duo Goes to Pikes Peak

hagan39

Parting.jpgThe People:
Mike R… 5’11 225 lbs of raw Pennsylvania Farm Beef, he cut his teeth working the family farm and fell in love with adventure on the Clarion River. What he brings to this trip is a Porsche and well that’s about it… maybe really good organizational skills as well.
Mike H… 6’1 185 lbs of smartass comments and too much time on his hands. His sense of adventure was born in the backseat of a Volvo driving across country and camping with his family. He brings absolutely nothing to the table and really doesn’t know why he is on this trip.

The Trip: As Mike and Mike sat talking on the phone back on a cold January day in early 2013 discussing life’s events… high gas prices, high unemployment rates, the upcoming Top Gear season and what sex Kim and Kayne’s baby would be they realized the winter months had them yearning for adventure. They both had just turned 30, one had just received a new heart valve, friends were having babies and other life changing events meant it was time for something big. Late in the friendship they both realized they had one thing in common, the Indy 500. They both appreciated racing and what it entailed, they had experienced one of racings great tragedies in witnessing Dan Weldon’s crash in Vegas and it was time to wipe the slate clean with a new adventure. Pikes Peak was the answer… what else could come close to the mountains, camping and racing?!? Maybe one thing but that’s completely different adventure. Flying was the first thought but after many discussions they realized a road trip in a Porsche to Colorado was the only real way to arrive. With months of planning under their belt the day had a finally arrived 6/26/13… the first day of 17 hour drive from Cincinnati to Colorado. What lie ahead of them was seven days of Colorado, camping out of a Porsche and most importantly making memories.

Day 1: Leave Cincinnati loaded down at 8:43 AM... one 1999 Porsche 996 (911 for the layperson), two bikes, lots of unnecessary camping gear, GoPro/Cameras and most importantly two overwhelming handsome friends. Our goal for the day is take it easy, we check in tomorrow at the Garden of the Gods campsite at 1 PM. We have time to stop and smell the roses and that is just what we plan on doing. Kansas City is our goal for dinner, BBQ of course.

One suggestion and please pay attention...

Go to Trinity Brewery (next to Garden of the Gods) and get a couple of Slap your Mammy double IPA's and a bacon cone

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you can squeeze into the Boulevard Brewing tour in K.C. is fun. The food and beer is pretty decent, too.

Enjoy the fair state of Colorado and, yes, get the bacon cone. :)

xearth

Observer
Awesome description of the two of you. Got me hook line and sinker, can't wait for some updates

hagan39

Thanks guys will take heed to both suggestions... KC is a stopping point and looking forward to the breweries in CO. Ohio and PA just dont have as many yet.

hagan39

Day 1 completed: Made great time on first stretch… car ran smoothly and only hit a couple bad spots of weather. I (Mike H) travel the Cincinnati to Evansville route monthly to visit some customers so I am going to skip that portion of our trip. Although from Louisville to Evansville you hit some great driving, nice hills and clean roads with smart drivers. Nothing like Ohio, I swear I always know when I am in Ohio driving (minus the giant “Welcome” signs of course) because three or four minutes in you get some idiot going 55 in the left hand lane. What I like to do now is get in front of that person and slow down to 50… subsequently making them get over in the right hand lane and then just take off once they do. It will probably get me killed someday but the temporary satisfaction is definitely worth the ris. Now that that is out I digress back to the trip…

According to internet southern Illinois has nothing to offer and since the internet was actually right this time our first real tourist excitement came from crossing the Mississippi and seeing the St. Louis Arch. It’s one of those been there done that type of things so we didn’t stop but still pretty amazing to think the Indians built that 300 years ago out of hay and mud…

St. Louis had us stopping at the Iron Barley… local diners, drive ins and dives stop. I mean if this guys says its good you know that’s the true… so we had a couple beers (Zwickel – Urban Chestnut), a Roast Beef Sandwich and the Reuben. Pretty good food… worth a stop I guess if you are in the area but not a must see. I don’t know if they are known for something but if they are we didn’t order it. My cousin works at 4 Hands Brewery in St. Louis so will have to make a visit on the way back through.
We crossed the Missouri River and that left us looking forward to Kansas… which in all other facets of life should be nothing that anyone ever looks forward too. I apologize to anyone from Kansas but holy sh%t there is nothing going on in that state. Hell even Kansas City is in Missouri! I am typing this post 150 miles west of Salina and want to poke my eyeballs out so I don’t have to look at this anymore. Yes I am from Ohio which sucks as well but this sucks on a completely different level. Anyways… we decided to forgo stopping in Kansas City and ended up Lawrence KS for dinner. Lawrence is the home of the great Fighting Indians of Haskell Indian Nations University and some other smaller school home of the Jayhawks which apparently does well in basketball from time to time. We stopped at the Free State Brewery and were disappointed with the food but had some great beers. Ad Asta Ale and a Kasa-Obake Kölsch, both great choices and a wise way to start our DUI filled night of driving, that’s a joke btw.

As we left Lawrence the temperatures (which had reached 100 degrees) had dropped substantially and we were able to cruise for a while with the windows down. Although I ripped Kansas a new one early the sunset was spectacular and the pictures I am posting do it no justice. There is something to be said about a great sunset and watching the plains the first night was a great show. Abilene was our stop for the night and the Super 8 treated us to cheap rates and comfortable beds. Although someone did managed to destroy the bathroom the night went quietly and with great success.

Day Dos... ohhhh Day Two.

Attachments

• 20130626_111359_resized.jpg
    20130626_111359_resized.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Dude, you should write a book. I also hate Kansas, but your description made it a little more exciting. Not enough to ever drive through it again, but enough to make me look forward to reading the rest of your trip report. Thanks!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Humorous read. I like it! Swap in some gravel tires for the 996 and rally it on the dirt sections! :)

hagan39

Quick Update

I have a ton of posting to do but have been preoccupied... my buddies 996 stalled and died litteraly as we pulled into our camp site in Colorado Springs. We've been back and forth to the Porsche dealership and just haven't had time. Did get to meet some great service people and saw Jeff Zwart and his GT3 turbo getting work done in the back service area. Porsche lets them use the garage for the month and also have a salesman in the race. Again trying to catch up but just getting other things figured out.

The breakdown occurred on Day Two.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94