Carburetor VS TBI Fuel Injection

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
I think for most applications this would be a no brainer. However, when over landing all over the world, this decision may not be as simple. This is why I am tapping into the knowledge pool of my fellow expeditioners.
I recently purchased a sweet 1985 FJ 60 with a 350 TBI Chevy engine.

TBI 350.jpgZEVRO.jpg

The conversion is one of the best I`ve seen. The FJ resided in California and so it had to pass the strict emission laws there. Now that I am prepping her to go around the world I am concerned with the TBI and I am considering going back to the stone age of a non emission carburetor set up. Ok… here is why I am leaning this way.
1. K.I.S.S. method – With the lack of fuel injection means there is no computer to fail.
2. Lack of emissions means more power and better economy with a vacuum advance distributor and better breathing.
3. Less to inspect at the end of the day and less to break.
4. Cleaner engine bay and easier to maintain.
Some of you will say I should think of a Diesel Conversion and I did. However, after investigating the cost of the conversion, the price of diesel along with the lack of diesel in remote locations, it really isn`t cost effective. The price of diesel is less when you get down south but only by a few cents. I have also heard the diesel is harder to come by other Over Landers that have been traveling down south. The next reason is that unless it is a liner engine then it is pretty much a throw away block. Finally with the 8K to 10K it would cost for a diesel conversion I could by a hell of a lot of gasoline.
Back to the original question, Should I keep the nice TBI that someone spent a lot of time and money installing or should I go simple?
Thanks, in advance for your valued input.

bjowett

Adventurer
What I would do..... keep the tbi system in place, you probably won't have issues. Throw a decent carb and an old points equipped distributor in the back.... actually, get the thing to run on those oldies before you leave, so if you need to convert, you are good to go.:ylsmoke:

reece146

Automotive Artist
Leave it. Go to a u-pull yard and for $50 you'll have enough spare parts to keep TBI running for a few hundred years.

Ristin

1. K.I.S.S. method – With the lack of fuel injection means there is no computer to fail. Carry a spare computer.
2. Lack of emissions means more power and better economy with a vacuum advance distributor and better breathing. TBI will get better fuel economy even with emissions equipment. The engine is always tuned properly for what ever altitude your at. Plus it will supply fuel even in extreme off camber conditions.
3. Less to inspect at the end of the day and less to break.123,000 miles on my FI Jeep. NEVER had component failure or issue with fuel delivery system
4. Cleaner engine bay and easier to maintain.I've rebuilt the carb in my Scout twice in 7 years. Have NEVER touched the fuel system in my 3 FI vehicles. I have parts on my work bench to convert the Scout to TBI.

Back to the original question, Should I keep the nice TBI that someone spent a lot of time and money installing or should I go simple? If it was done right, I would leave it alone and enjoy a good running always in tune easy starting truck.
Thanks, in advance for your valued input.

Maybe my bias and hatred of carbs is showing... :)

Last edited:

nutpantz

Observer
Yep keep the tbi...
Get a spare computer if it is prone to failure..
A Carb will run even if set up all wrong, but at the price of fuel who can afford a badly set up carb. if you don't know how to set it up don't feel bad,most new mechanics don't know either. tbi will run right and should be easy to diagnose issues. Error codes lead you to many easy repairs and warn of issues.

written in your mud with my stick.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
absolutely keep the TBI....
altitude will mess with your carb
off camber will mess with your carb

There are millions of miles put on basic TBI setups and so like others have said, get some spart parts and be happy.

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
Thanks everyone for your input for the TBI. I will keep it on but I think I will at least get rid of the air pump and work on ways to let it breath better. I found an extra computer for $100.00. So I will pop it in and make sure it works well and then vacuum seal it for my spare parts box.

Thanks again

mmuthart

Observer
I have 2 TBI setups. One I installed in my Socut on a IH 345. The other is stock on the 350 I swapped into my '91 LC. The only electrical spare parts I carry are the coil (have had this go bad) and the control module that goes inside the distributor cap. Like already said, proven and reliable systems. If your check engine light is hooked up, it should alert you if one of the TBI sensors is bad. I run a single 3" exhaust system on both rigs. Guttted cat will help power and economy.

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
Hey MMUTHART,

Nice FJ80 BTY and camper too. I am looking at 315`s as well. What kind of fuel milage are you seeing with you set up?

Thanks,

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have 2 TBI setups. One I installed in my Socut on a IH 345. The other is stock on the 350 I swapped into my '91 LC. The only electrical spare parts I carry are the coil (have had this go bad) and the control module that goes inside the distributor cap. Like already said, proven and reliable systems. If your check engine light is hooked up, it should alert you if one of the TBI sensors is bad. I run a single 3" exhaust system on both rigs. Guttted cat will help power and economy.

This^^^
I went a 175K and 20+ years on a V8TBI in FJ60 and replaced the distributor control module only in that time. There are many things I would carry before a computer. The only replacement part I carried aside from basic stuff was a fuel pump. The computer has a limp mode to cover just about every part that could go bad on a TBI system but without fuel you are done. The 2 most popular failures on a TBI system is the distributor control module and fuel pump and both normally give you a little warning.

mmuthart

Observer
Hey MMUTHART,

Nice FJ80 BTY and camper too. I am looking at 315`s as well. What kind of fuel milage are you seeing with you set up?

Thanks,

Sorry, missed your question....

With the stock 4.10 gears and 315's I get a reliable 10 MPG's in town and 12 hwy. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I'm planning on going from my Toyo MT's in the 315 size to a Toyo all terrain in the 295 size. I hope this change will get me a couple MPG's.

zimm

Expedition Leader
you must not be old enough to remember carbs, or are so old you forgot, if you are asking this.

although, you will score a place in the guiness book of world records as the fist man to go back to carb, willingly.

did you own my house? my PO removed all the duct work and AC, when he went from forced air back to hot water. seriously.

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
Hey Zimm,
At 50 I certainly remember Carburetors, the good ones and the bad ones. The best one these days would be the Edelbrock Performer Off Road. Completely tunable and you can adjust for high elevation 9000+ feet, in 10 Minutes. I ran a 406 Small Block Chevy in my old FJ40 and never had any issues and got 18-20 MPG running 33x9.50`s Granted TBI`s you don`t have to adjust but I think you are still limited as to the elevation you can go before the computer say`s “Where the hell are you?”. I like the TBI and seem to perform just fine but it really lacks on power when you need it. I`ve looking at various web sites and there are mods you can do to get it more air flow. Also Holley also offers a 650 CFM version that I am entertaining. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge on these?
Zevro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles