Better Mantels for Propane Lanterns ??

Septu

Explorer
Okay... so when camping (at least down south) I use my propane lantern... however my mantels only last the time I'm in that camp site. They don't seem to like getting bounced around on the back roads. Other than buying more mantels (which I'll do for this trip), I'm curious as to what others do...

Yes I could go LED... however I try to stay away from batteries when camping if I can. And I have lots of those propane canisters, so I'd like to find something that works for the lantern.

no-pistons

Adventurer
I have a couple of the gas lanterns and a propane lantern that I used to use on every trip. My mantels last anywhere between 2-5 trips and I just use the regular Coleman mantels from Walmart.

What I do is keep them in the Coleman plastic cases and make sure that that cases are secured very tightly between things so that they can't move or jiggle.
And that's it.

However, lately I've been just leaving the lanterns at home and using LED instead. It feels like they are just not worth the extra trouble, especially the gasoline powered ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I used to have that problem with my coleman propane lantern. then around 2000 someone gave me a coleman northstar propane lantern. boy what a difference it has those mantel that attach top and bottom. they are tough I have only replaced 2 over that time period and I bounce it around some nasty roads. as an example I leave sunday morning 6/30/13 for 2 months of back county travel. o btw it is much brighter and whiter light. one other thing the mantels are hard to find so when you do buy a couple. just my 2 cents. highdesertranger

jrfromafar

Adventurer
Mantles! For the life of me I cannot get the 'pull the clip' design to work! The good old tie them on did the job just fine - why did they have to change it!!??

no-pistons

Adventurer
Mantles! For the life of me I cannot get the 'pull the clip' design to work! The good old tie them on did the job just fine - why did they have to change it!!??

haha I prefer the clip, much faster than the ties. However, last I saw, they still sell both models.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Fireplaces have mantels. Lanterns have mantles. :mad:

Coleman used to make a "heavy duty" mantle called a Gold Top, but I believe they were discontinued. I haven't seen them in a long time. From what I've read about them they weren't any better than the standard mantles. I've used them and couldn't tell the difference.

One solution might be to use a smaller mantle. Instead of a standard #21, try using a #20. They are smaller, and put out less light, but because they are smaller they seem to be more durable. Not as much weight to be shaking around.

brentbba

Explorer
Had the same problem with my lantern bouncing around in my trailer. Generally had to replace one or both mantles every trip! Got sick and tired of it. Moved the lantern up to the truck, so, yes I have to remember to pack it each time, but I haven't replaced another mantle yet!

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
What about using wire mesh for an indestructible mantle? Just thinking aloud as I devastated my lantern mantles last trip as well.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I used to carry a set of mantles for each stop (two to three 4-pack bags) but about a year ago, I switched to a Coleman LED Quad Lantern. 4 individual lanterns that when used together in it's base creates more than enough light around camp and then can be split up into 4 independent lanterns to use as needed.

Works great!

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I used to carry a set of mantles for each stop (two to three 4-pack bags) but about a year ago, I switched to a Coleman LED Quad Lantern. 4 individual lanterns that when used together in it's base creates more than enough light around camp and then can be split up into 4 independent lanterns to use as needed.

Works great!

Well I admit that I use a battery powered lantern - but in my lifetime, as long as I can camp, there'll be the familiar hum of a gas lantern - using propane but thinking nostalgically back to the white gas lantern - ahhhh what great times!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372721743.976134.jpg

lupinsea

Observer
I've used the gas lanterns in the past but the mantles (and the glass globes) have always been my bane. Too delicate. Both always break on me but particularly the delicate ashen mantles.

Switched to LED lanterns and I'll never go back.

Currently my favorite is a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme (SE3DLN). It pumps out 300 lumens, runs 80 hrs on full bright or 160+ hrs on half bright on 3 D-cell batteries. Very well thought out packaging with a contoured carry handle that tucks close to the housing, tough polymer / rubberized housing w/ removable clear lens and a fold-out hook on the bottom. Over all size is a bit larger than a can of soda or about the size of a large Starbucks drink so it packs away in small spaces.

Get one.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
i find

The secret really seems to be how you stow the lantern. Get the correct size case and keep it somewhere where it cant move around.
By the way, what model lantern do you have? You can get a metal case for the older lanterns that has a metal tab in the top of the case that tensions the lamp against the bottom of the case. Modern cases fit around the profile of the lantern but it can sometimes still rattle around inside the case. You may either be able to purchase the correct case for the lantern in metal (they are expensive) or you may need to pad the lantern inside the plastic case.

Septu

Explorer
The secret really seems to be how you stow the lantern. Get the correct size case and keep it somewhere where it cant move around.
By the way, what model lantern do you have? You can get a metal case for the older lanterns that has a metal tab in the top of the case that tensions the lamp against the bottom of the case. Modern cases fit around the profile of the lantern but it can sometimes still rattle around inside the case. You may either be able to purchase the correct case for the lantern in metal (they are expensive) or you may need to pad the lantern inside the plastic case.

I'm just using some cheap one that I bought a few years ago. I was in BC and not used to the dark (in the summer - we don't need lanterns up here :D), so was at the mercy of whatever the store in Ucluelet had. Currently I just pack it in with my other gear (in a tot) as best as possible.

As for a LED one, I had one (was a cheaper on - but not dirt cheap) and the damn handle broke, and the lamp fell and broke. Until this propane one dies, it's unlikely that I'll look at switching... Oh and went and picked up a bunch of mantles at crappy tire the other day... so should be good for the summer.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
ah

Well an electric is the best solution. Personally, I hate electric. So if you like the sound of the old lantern, above advice stands.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
This isn't a debate on types of lanterns (LED vs propane vs white gas) but a debate of the actual material used for the MANTLE...if you have a LED lantern, then you don't have a mantle. My lantern is packed in the original packaging for every trip (styrofoam and all) so it doesn't move. Maybe it's bouncier trails, but I tend to break mantles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94