Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great vintage van.

looking forward to the build.

I do have one request "Go with steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps."

OrangeSpear

new here
Pulling the dent

Big progress over the weekend with pulling the tree damage dent out of the rear of my van.

Back Story:
Around a month before i was to have the van shipped from my parents house in Alabama to me up here in Maryland, Hurricane Hanna passed over and dropped a tree on the rear of the van. :angry:
resulting in this...
41.jpg

23.jpg

20.jpg

I had 3 body shops around here look at it and refuse to do the work. I even told them it didnt have to be perfect, but whatever. So my buddy that owns a shop and I attempted to do it ourselves.

14.jpg

11.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I was very happy with the progress we made. Its not done but it is so much better than it was. Spray painted to prevent rust.
After a little more metal massaging and then some mud before paint, and i will have it looking even better. I never expected it to look new or perfect, I like the look of a used Van.

D

Deleted member 9101

You could rebuilt is mechanically, put a lavish interior, 10% tint on all of the windows... and then leave the exterior as it. It would be the perferct stealth camper/creaper van :)

Love the build :-D

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I really dig this vintage build and can't wait to read your trip reports.....sure the build is fun to watch someone else spend time & money, but it will be your adventures that make it all worthwhile.

On the dent I would not drive myself crazy to make it perfect, like you said, a bit more massage, some mud and happy.

Thanks for taking us along on your project.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I used to have the '69 shortie Club wagon with that 300CI six and an auto. I loved that van... it was a great runner but I never ever got better than 12mpg :eek: I am building out in Parallel with you, only with a '64 Dodge A100, Maybe I should start a thread here...

Good luck! Nice job on jacking out that tree damage, I would have thought that to be a killer.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Oh, also wanted to mention to make sure your battery cables are well secured. I had one get sucked into the fan... Ripped the post right out of my '69 and destroyed the radiator, Tranny cooler lines, and throttle linkage...

OrangeSpear

new here
Back around again. Its been hunting season and i dont really do much of anything else during this time. Hunting season is now over. Back to the build

Started installing the seats that i bought from that 1997 Ford Club wagon.

Front is in and powered. Welded reinforced mounts in the floor.
1.jpg

Passenger is in too but didnt take a picture yet.

After almost being blown off the road, I also purchased the Addco #100 front Anti sway bar kit. *This will get installed very soon.

OrangeSpear

new here
So i seem to be having issue finding parts that i want to use. examples like sink kits "SMEV", zig unit, water pumps, water tanks and holding tanks. I have no issue at all finding them all over UK and Australia but what about USA.

Example i wanted a submersible self priming water pump. ie Whale pumps. I ended up buying one from ebay.uk and paid a nice heavy shipping.

Is there somewhere in the US to get similar products at similar prices?

java

Expedition Leader
I know the marine supply store near me carries Whale pumps. Im sure they could probably order anything from their line. Boat stores have lots of cool stuff....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier