1969 E100 CamperVan DIY build

java

Expedition Leader
a quick google, and it appears a zig unit is a charger inverter? it takes shore power and charges house batteries, and will also take the 12v house batts and power 120v outlets?

Sound right? then yes there are lots of comparable US available units.

EDIT: did some more reading. It seems its a charger, transformer, switching and fuse panel kinda thing all in one. Still similar items should be available in the US no problem. May have to buy a switch panel, a transformer, and a fuse panel but it would do the same thing.

Last edited:

OrangeSpear

new here
a quick google, and it appears a zig unit is a charger inverter? it takes shore power and charges house batteries, and will also take the 12v house batts and power 120v outlets?

I think the unit i got out of my popup camper will do the same thing. except charge the battery. So i many not need anything additional other than a smart battery charger.

OrangeSpear

new here

yeah, im thinking that the power unit i got from my popup camper will do similar things. It just wont charge the battery but i can add a smart battery charger.

OrangeSpear

new here
hmmm. I keep posting here in my build thread and i keep getting a message that my posts need moderator approval.

edit.
Well this posting seemed to get through.

re-edit.
just tried again to post a message back to java on here and again it said my message needs to be approved. ?!?!******!?!
--and it happened again. So i will just post my reply here.--

EDIT: did some more reading. It seems its a charger, transformer, switching and fuse panel kinda thing all in one. Still similar items should be available in the US no problem. May have to buy a switch panel, a transformer, and a fuse panel but it would do the same thing.

I think the unit i pulled from my popup camper will do almost the same thing. I just wont charge the battery. So guess i will just add a smart charger.

OrangeSpear

new here

I do think that the unit i pulled from my popup camper will do most of the same things. I wont charge the battery. So i think all i will need to add is a smart charger.

OrangeSpear

new here
any opinion on using this small propane tank in my van?
http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391110604&sr=1-2&keywords=propane+tank+10+lb

its a 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder
The widest part of the tank (which is the bottom) is 9-1/8" wide.

41Ye1zcjPuL.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeSpear

new here
It would be good to have it outside, or in a vented to the outside compartment.

I was looking into making an inVan box that is sealed off to the van but plumbed to the heater and cooker and vented.
Is there a typical vent to use in a box like this?

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Check out Electronicgoldmine for some great deals on 12 volt demand pumps. I got one for my hot shower, and another for the sink as they are Standalone systems. For submersible, a rule 360 bilge pump would be great.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

OrangeSpear

new here
This weekends project was front disc brake conversion.

Purchased a caliper bracket from Scarebird.

Off with the old.
35.jpg

and on with the new.
36.jpg

37.jpg

25.jpg

It did require a change in MC and proportioning valve. And the obvious - rotors, calipers, pads, and soft lines.

All seats are installed. (i forgot to take a picture of the back seat that lays into a bed)

Now that the cornstones are in place(the seats), its time to start giving more detail to the interior layout plan.
The fridge that i got is a little big but i think i am still going to go with it. Ill also use it as storage/pantry.

Best ways to monitor the battery bank? Any thoughts on this? Is there a DIY solution?
http://www.campertrailers.org/victron_bmv-600s.htm
http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1080
http://www.mycampervanconversion.co.uk/Leisure Electrics.html

OrangeSpear

new here
Sweeeet! That's on my list as well for my Dodge. Your old brakes looked pretty good btw.
Thanks! The drum brakes were a fairly fresh install. I dont have a working odometer so i have to gauge things on gas tanks. Id say those brakes have 4 tanks of gas on them (1.5 years) . I dont drive the van a whole lot yet.

OrangeSpear

new here
Making more progress...
Front powered seats are in even though only one is pictured.

1.jpg

After almost being blown off the road, I also purchased the Addco #100 front Anti sway bar kit. *This will get installed very soon. *

Needed to put a new floor in on the driver side. There wasnt much left to even call a floor.
After receiving the driver side floor coil spring/ shock cover from the interwebz, i was then able to move forward.
I didnt cut the hole exactly the way its supposed to be but it works for me.
So much of it was rusted out that i was not able to tell what the original shape of the floor pocket for the coil spring/ shock cover looked liked.
9.jpg

11.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

The coil spring mount and shock are still covered by tape in the above photo.
After priming it, i sprayed it with waterproofing spray rubber. Its very similar to spay in truck bed liner.
This wont be visible once the insulation goes down and the carpet goes in.

Then came the powered backseat. I must admit that once it was in, i feel like its a great wast of space when its not down in its bed position.

2.jpg

1.jpg

And then there is the enormous fridge that will double as a pantry/storage. (remember this only cost me $50)
7.jpg

Installing the vents.
LoaNmbOVWrmZnlmmavJ2MSeelxSWeQhSvY35UW0qO70=w275-h205-p-no

11.jpg

12.jpg

This weekends tasks are to box in the fridge and seal it, make the storage area for the in home power, make the sealed storage are for 1 gallon propane tank and run lines and wires. Because of a current sale and coupons i have, i decided to with DieHard Platinum Marine Battery Deep Cycle AGM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier