2014 Ram 2500 HD gets coil springs for the rear axle

haven

Expedition Leader
The Ram 2500 HD models will have coil springs on the rear axle for 2014. The switch away from leaf springs was done to improve ride quality. Since the Power Wagon is based on the 2500 chassis, I think this means coils for the PW, too. Airbag suspension, the Cummins 6.7L diesel, and the 6.4L gas V8 are options on the 2500. The 5.7L standard and 6.4L optional gas engines get 6 speed automatics. The diesel has 6 speed manual and 6 speed auto trans options.

Fear not: The 3500 and Commercial 4500 and 5500 will continue to have their rear axles riding on leaf springs.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I don't know,I remember the 3/4 ton 65 Chevies w/coils vs the GMC's with leafs. We'll see. Wonder if the 2500's will share the 2013 3500 front single control arm?

All these trucks are so overpriced. Built a 2013 3500 CTD and a F-150 Ecoboost. Yikes!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is great news on the 6.4L asthe RAM 2500 definitely needed more snot than the 5.7L could provide. I had high hopes Chrysler would treat the 6.4L to direct injection while they were updating it for truck duty. Looks like not this time, hopefully soon!

Not yet sure what to think of the rear coil springs on 2500 series trucks. Time will tell. Either the rear coil boingers will really help the Power Wagon flex that much more or it will ruin it. Will be interesting if the PW gets the airbag option too. Still don't see how the rear coils will maintain or increase the current payload rating.

Everything under it screams BEEF! Looks promising
link-coil.jpg

springs.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e2019103ee2409970c-800wi

phydough

Observer
Does it look like they are copying Ford with the front suspension? Is that new too?

SIX links on the rear! Compensating or over engineering?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
SIX links on the rear! Compensating or over engineering?

I don’t see six links in the rear but I see four links, a torque strut (shock), track bar, a pair of sway bar links, a pair of shock absorbers and a pair of coil springs (or bags for the bagged trucks). Still not too sure what to think of all this in a 2500 series truck. Who knows, this could be the next big thing. Chevrolet found coil spring rear suspension were still inferior to the tried and true centuries old leaf spring design 41 years ago. Granted, technology has changed a lot since Chevrolet ditch rear coils in 1972 though. GM also ditched front torsion bars in 1960’s trucks then returned to them almost 30 years later. It is crazy world……I must say, the new RAM rear coil contraption looks very robust. Very anxious to drive one with a 6.4L and coil boingers in the rear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94