Got my Window AC installed in my Palomino Pop-Up

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I ordered the smallest window AC unit I could find. Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner . Ordered it from Amazon yesterday morning and it was on my doorstep at 2pm today. Amazing! $119...No tax / No Shipping!
P1030807-vi.jpg

It is really tiny:
P1030808-vi.jpg

P1030809-vi.jpg

P1030810-vi.jpg

I decided to mount it in the top portion of my door. It would fit fine in the side window.
P1030821-vi.jpg

But it would take up a seat and I think I can make it much more secure in the upper door
1372340774167-vi.jpg

First thing I did was cut a piece of plywood I had hanging around to fit into the upper opening and then cut a hole in the plywood for the AC
P1030819-vi.jpg

I needed a way to secure the plywood panel. I used steel "T" nuts and made aluminum catches that are afixed with thumb screws
P1030817-vi.jpg

P1030818-vi.jpg

Then I ran a piece of aluminum angle around the perimeter of the AC unit. I used the front part of the little slot dohickies and pop rivits to secure it.
P1030822-vi.jpg

So that I didn't drill too deep into the AC unit and damage something, I use a piece of aluminum tubing as a drill depth guard:
P1030824-vi.jpg

Once that was done it was installed in the panel and two more thumb screws secure it;
P1030830-vi.jpg

Solid as a rock!
P1030831-vi.jpg

P1030829-vi.jpg

This unit is super quiet. Won't disturb me in the least. Much quieter than the AC in my bedroom in the house.
P1030826-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I'll give mounting board a coat of marine paint and call it good.

This unit dropped the temperature of my Palomino Bronco 1200 from 78 degrees to 65 degrees in under 30 minutes. It appears 64 degrees is the bottom limit because it cycles the compressor on and off once it reached that temperature. ^5 degrees is A-OK with me!. Can't wait to try it on a real hot day.

Attachments

• P1030831-vi.jpg
    P1030831-vi.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 47

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I think that's what I got for my little fiberglass trailer (Burro) - hey, it's made life bearable where there's 110 power! Got mine at Wally World!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372474090.062791.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372474055.568230.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372474055.568230.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 41

brian90744

American Trekker
what do you do when you lower the roof, where does the A/C go?? I am sure this will be great this warm summer.
brian

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I simply remove the AC unit and the panel and store them on the floor while underway. I'll only need the AC unit a few times a year. Most of my camping is done in the early spring and fall.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
All finished....Painted up and looking purdy!

P1030849-vi.jpg

P1030844-vi.jpg

I made a little tool to tighten up the thumb screws

P1030845-vi.jpg

P1030846-vi.jpg

Yesterday the outside temperature was 78 degrees. I turned on the air-conditioner and it cooled it down to 63 degrees in under 30 minutes. It maintained between 62 and 65 degrees for the day, cycling the compressor on and off. The compressor is so quiet on this unit that you really need to listen closely to hear if it is on or off. No change in vibration when the compressor is operating. The fan is making all the noise and the fan is much quieter than the Vortex roof vent fan this camper has.

Very pleased with this addition to my camper......

Attachments

• P1030849-vi.jpg
    P1030849-vi.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 41

Scoutman

Explorer
So does that top panel swing out with the ac when you open the door or do you not connect it to the lower door anymore?

bob91yj

Resident **************
Nice! I went with a roof air of my SunLite, wish I'd put it in the back window in hindsight. My Coleman roof air is designed for pop ups, and to work off of a Honda 2k generator. Works as designed. My little Honda is wound out when the ac is on with a high fan speed

I'm going to put the over/under at 4 on how many times you crack your head on it!:sombrero:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Haven't hit my head once yet! The camper is so high on my truck it's kind of like going in and out of a boat hatch.
The top of the door is not connected to the bottom door. It is simply swung out of the way and secured.
So far the AC is working ,fantastic. Recently on a 94 degree day in the Sun it kept the temperature in the camper at 68 degrees.

Malamute

Observer
Nice job!

I found this post googling ways to use a window AC in a vehicle. I'm wanting to be able to keep my Suburban cool when parked with my Malamute dog in it in warm weather when travelling or working. Will add a small generator on a rear cargo carrier I believe. Looks like the AC unit will go in the left barn door, either cut a hole in the lower half, or maybe in the window.

brian90744

American Trekker
a/c top cover

On top of the A/C it is best to place a 9 1/2 x 16" alum plate over the vents, It will fill up with rain water and may sloach inside your camper, plus the extra weight of water on the mount. FYI= brian

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
No issue with water in the AC. I never drive around with the t op up and thr AC mounted.

When I remove it from the camper to travel, it sits it in a large blue plastic tub on the floor. Any residual condensate or rain water goes in the bucket and not on the floor of the camper. Usually I get less than a cup of water in the bucket.

The blue tote doubles as a washing machine for extended outback trips...... :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior