high milage 1st gen taco purchase?

voodoojk

Adventurer
So..long story not so long. My JK is for sale here. I want a yota next and need something bigger with the new baby. Local dealer has a 2001DC TRD they must have got on trade. Looks nice but the only issue is it has 194,000 miles! They want $9,500 for it. Im sure i can talk them down a little if i wanted and trade my JK for the truck and cash.. But that many miles.... Not an issue if i put all those miles on it.

opinions????

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
stay away from it.

if you look longer you can find a better truck for the same if not much more.
thats a lot of miles and sure it will go a lot more.
but think of it this way. Toyota sells brand new 4x4 trucks for just over 20 k sure they are regular cab but the point is you have a truck that is near the end of it life unless you want to start spending money.
sure you could get another 100 k out of it. I bet it would cost a good chunck of money

these trucks are out there.
by buddy just bought one a few years newer, still first gen that was an AC trd v6 with 100 k on it. he forked over 12.5 for it

sure not a dc, but newer with a hundred thousand less miles on it for a few thousand more

food for thought

sctracker

Observer
I would talk them down in price for sure but 200,000 ish miles on these trucks isnt much. I supercharged my last one at 140k and i pushed about twice as much boost down it than normal and it ran just fine every day. Only thing I had trouble with was the starter. I have another one for a work truck and its got 220k on it and we have only switched the starter and fluids and plugs. Just some things to keep in mind. If you can find its service record than it might be worth it.

4xdog

Explorer
I bought my 2001 DC 4WD TRD in February 2009 with 66k miles on it for $14K. Good money, but it was -- and is -- a very nice truck. It now has about 103k miles. So at about 8500 miles/year, it will be almost 12 years before the mileage equals that on the one you're considering. That's a long time, although I fully expect to have the vehicle then and for it still to be an unbreakable ride.

The point being that while Tacomas of that vintage are supremely reliable and durable vehicles, they made a LOT of 'em, and not all of them have that kind of mileage. IMO, the price or the mileage oughta be lower on the vehicle you're considering. I'd negotiate tougher or keep looking. I found mine through a private seller, and I suspect a number of others on here would say the same.

FWIW -- these trucks aren't getting any less popular, so there will be a limit on the price/mileage equation. I had mine into the dealer in my small hometown in Southeastern Ohio the other month checking on the spare tire hoist recall, and the used car department very much wanted to buy it right there and then. They figured it would spend one day on their lot.

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks to be they want a little too much money for it.

You should look at Nissan Frontiers as well, can get more for your dollar, with lower miles.

Nissan-Frontier

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
If it were a second vehicle or a weekend truck, something you could tinker with during the week and do a lot of preventative upkeep, maybe. If it's going to be your daily driver with the kids, I would either offer a much lower price or find a lower milage one. I bought my 01 with 72,000 miles on it 2 years ago. Now it has 113000 just today. I drive a lot...but with careful searching, you can still find these trucks with low miles and high prices.

Cheers,
jorge

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Stick with Toyota...

195K isn't a deterrent with a Toyota, but they're high on the price... Either try to talk them down significantly (good luck, car salesmen are truly awful) or just walk and look elsewhere. They're out there, you just gotta look... If you're OK with a slush-box (I'm not and it makes it tough) it'll be easier as there are lots more of the out there.

Toyotero

Explorer
Is it 4WD?

That's a lot of miles.
If the truck was well taken care of, it'll do twice that.
If it was not well maintained, it could be a basket case.

If it is a 4WD, that price isn't bad if it's in great shape. Personally, I'd hold out and find one with lower mileage, it'll probably be worth the higher price.

Try this engine that searches craigslist nationwide to get some comparables:
http://www.onecraigs.com/craigslist...raigs.com/&ref=www.google.com/&ss=176j30976j2

Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94