2000 GMC Sierra Expo Pickup Truck

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The real advantage to a tall skinny tires comes from contact pressure. A 235 85 will have a smaller contact patch than 265 75 and thus the weight of the truck is spread over a smaller area giving a higher pressure which can result in more traction in some situtations.

A wider tire will provide more flotation in deep snow mud and sand and be more advantageous there, otherwise the skinnier tire will provide better results.

245 75 vs 235 85 you will have to do the math on contact patch area to determine which would be better. Of course air pressure also will change this. Its easier to compare two tires of the same heigh (as above) to see these differences.

But in the end run what you like and what you think looks good. Probably can't go wrong either way.

Regardless nice looking truck!

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Cool. I will take a look at those tires later this summer when I get the money for them. I am currently running the winter tires that I got with the truck. The truck actually came with some big *** 20's on it. Damn ugly as hell. I took them off the day after I picked up the truck. Guy who sold it to me saw me a couple days later and asked what happened to the 20's he had put on it. I told him they were ugly as hell and have them sitting in the used tire pile behind the shop. He was not happy, but I really don't care.

Sent from my SIII

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck ChevyExpo, and welcome to the site. Incredible the amount of rust in your tank locking ring area but I guess thats common for you guys back east. Did you pop a new ring in there? Anyways good on you for getting the job done, and yes swearing does help when in a tight situation. Keep up the good work and let see all the progress you make with that fine Chevy. Cheers, Chilli...:)

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Had a little problem ever since I changed the fuel sending unit. Well a little problem is an understatement. More like a big, little problem. Seems when I disconnected the fuel lines from the fuel pump assembly, I must have pulled something a little too hard and the truck was pissing fuel. Both with the engine on/off, I was leaking fuel. I even left the truck on and pulled the fuel pump relay so that it would empty most of the fuel out of the system before stalling out in the hopes it would stop the leak. It did stop it, but only a little.

Didn't have time to work on fixing it all week due to work, so I only got to fixing it today. In that 5-6 day period, the small leak cost me almost a 1/4 tank of fuel (as I found out this morning when I started up the truck).

Thank god I have one of these to help me work on the truck, as I absolutely hate more than anything working on something to do with fuel while laying under a truck.

20130713_101033.jpg

And before someone asks. The flag in the background is not for what you might think. It is the official colors of RCEME (Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers).

After looking around under the truck, I found that the leak was coming out just in front of the fuel tank. After cleaning off a lot of mud/dirt/undercoating I found the source of the leak. The fuel return line had rusted out. Looks like the wiggling of the lines while replacing the sending unit was enough to move some of the mud/dirt/undercoating that had been covering the hole and it started to leak.

The leak. This is just the pressure from the fuel in the tank pushing it out.

20130713_093710.jpg

The leak was just a pin-prick. It happened right where a plastic retaining clip was holding the lines in place. The retaining clips also do a nice job of holding mud/dirt/water/snow right against the metal lines as well. Which is what caused it to rust out.

I cut out the rusted piece of metal fuel line then cut a new piece of rubber fuel line to length. Then added some high pressure clamps.

20130713_095044.jpg

Connected it all back up and started up the truck. No more leaks.

All fixed...................AGAIN!

Never ends it seems ;)

Last edited:

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Now onto something that makes most people squirm when it comes to working on trucks.......wiring.

For some reason, a lot of people are scared ******tless when it comes to working with the wiring in vehicles. They will bolt/weld all sorts of stuff to their vehicle, but for some reason will not want to touch the wiring at all.

I don't have that problem, so while I had the truck on the lift, I decided to do some wiring.

I had gone to NAPA this week and picked up a little over 30 feet of 7-wire cabling. It is the same stuff they use to wire up trailers. 7 wires is likely more than I need, but I would rather have more than less.

I ran the cable from the engine compartment, down through the frame and all the way to the back of the truck.

20130713_110710.jpg

I am planning to install some rear lights and other "accessories" near the back of the truck, so this will make things easy when it comes to wiring them up.

I only installed one accessory today, as I haven't decided exactly how to setup the other stuff yet. While it might seem stupid to some, I installed a backup alarm.

20130713_110717.jpg

I think all of us have seen it, but it seems as if people today are becoming less and less aware of what is going on around them. Distracted by cell phones, tablets, drinking coffee, etc, they are a dangerous bunch. While having backup alarm still won't help when it comes to some people. It should at least help.

Now while it would be pretty easy just to hook up the backup alarm to the reverse lights, so that it comes on every time you put the truck into reverse, I didn't want that. I only wanted the backup alarm to come on when I want it to come on. I also want to be able to turn it on even when I am not backing up, so hooking it up to the reverse lights simply wouldn't work. I wanted to put it on a switch so that I could turn it on/off at will. Luckily I had just run a wiring harness to the back of the truck to connect it up to ;)

So back up to the front of the truck where the next couple of hours were spent.

I brought the lift down and took the truck off.

Next step was to work on the location of the switches in the cab for my wiring. After sitting in the truck a bit I decided the best place to put it would be head liner console. Forgot to take a picture before I did the work, but this is pretty much exactly how mine looks.

9125d1243747993-overhead-console-dome-light-relocate-panel.jpg

In the upgraded models of the truck, the panel at the front of the console would have a temperature gauge and a compass in it. But mine just has a blank panel. Perfect place for adding switches.

So since I had made sure to buy a lot of wiring, I pulled the headliner down a bit and ran some wiring from the engine compartment up to the console.

20130713_115628.jpg

Then I took the blank panel and did a lot of measuring so that I could drill some holes for switches.

20130713_131953.jpg

They are not lined up perfect (even though I tried really hard to get it perfect). But is good enough.

Then I put the panel back into place. Looks good.

20130713_131753.jpg

Now I know a lot of people go with the nice looking rocker switches, but I used these instead. Mainly because I already had these switches and second was that the big rocker switches are....well big. And I likely wouldn't have been able to fit 6 of them in there like I did these switches.

Next was time to work on the wiring under the hood. When I started off the wiring I took a good look at the engine compartment and found that the best place for all the wiring was on the passengers side on the firewall. To make things easier to work on, I temporary removed the fender support so that I had lots of room.

20130713_133232.jpg

Lots of room for stuff here. You can see the wiring from the back of the truck and the cab already sitting there waiting for me.

Next thing I did was to install a power distribution panel. I got this out of a military CUCV that was being scrapped a while back. Though for some reason I can't find the upper terminal cover at the moment.

20130713_133624.jpg

Bottom row will be for power (+12v) and the top row for ground (-GND).

This will make it very easy to send power where I need it without sending a million taps off to the battery. Nice, clean and organized.

Next step was the relays. I try to add relays whenever I can. This will help not only protect the truck wiring system, but could also prevent a fire from overloading. Some people simply put a switch between the battery and something like a light. While this might work for a small light, a lot of the time the lights will draw a lot of power and could melt the little switch you put between the light and the battery (and could cause a fire).

I use a really nice set of relay connectors I buy from a local store. They are nice for the fact that they lock together to form a chain then can be screwed in place. Most relay connectors rely on the fact that the relay itself has a little tab for mounting. I like this way better, as you can remove a relay as needed very easily. The relay connectors even come with relays, but sadly I have learned to throw out the relays when I open the package. The relays are some cheap Chinese made crap and will only randomly work here and there. I just throw them out and get some real Bosch relays instead.

So after a bit more work I had the relay mounts in place and the wiring all connected. I also put the fender support back in place.

20130713_155026.jpg

Yeah it looks a bit messy. That is because I am not finished yet. I still have a couple things I want to connect up before I clean up the wiring.

Then I went to work on another little project under the hood. Most GM vehicles come with a light under the hood that works on a level sensor. When the hood is down (flat) the light is off. But as soon as you lift the hood, the level sensor turns the light on. This is great.....when the truck is new. After a couple of years, most of these lights either get smashed (from someone working under the hood who accidently hits it) or the level sensor in the light goes bad and either leaves the light on all the time (where it eventually burns out) or it will not turn the light on.

Mine didn't have either problem. My light was completely missing. Likely it broke and someone took it out to find a replacement and never got around to it. Instead of installing the same type of light I decided to go with a done light with an integrated switch. That means I would be able to turn the light on/off whenever I want. Installation was pretty easy and straight forward.

20130713_161007.jpg

Much better.

Then I went to work on the final wiring project of the day. This one was even more simple than the hood light.

I have a basket winch which I bring around with me on my adventures (yes going to the store to buy bacon may not require a winch, but I still think it is a great adventure!). This basket winch just slips into the receiver on the rear hitch. On my last off road/expo truck, I also had a receiver in the front bumper which would let me install the winch on the front of the truck too as needed. To power this winch, I have a long power cord with a set of quick-disconnect Anderson connectors. When I initially got the winch, it came with standard battery clamps on the end of the power cord, but I wanted something more permanent. So I removed the clamps and installed battery terminals. I installed the same setup on this truck.

20130713_152844.jpg

So when I need power, I can just leave the Anderson connector sticking out from under the hood and connect up to it as needed without having to mess around with the clamps (which always seem to pop off the battery terminals). I also have a set of jumper cables where I removed the clamps and installed an Anderson connector on the end to make boosting another vehicle very easy. When I don't need it, the connector just sits under the hood beside the battery. I was tempted to mount the connector in the grill for an even faster connection, but that would leave it vulnerable to damage from rain/dirt/mud/snow/me smashing into it/etc. And since I rarely use it, I thought it better just to have it sit under the hook till I need it.

That was my wiring fun for the day. The fuel leak fix only took maybe 45mins to complete. The wiring took me nearly 6 hours. It is not hard, just long.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You just gave me a great idea for wiring some things in the bed of my truck, thanks! As for the backup alarm, I hope you got the loudest available because some people are just completely oblivious these days.

chevyexpotruck

Observer
I put some labels on the switches.

20130714_114314.jpg

Yes my master control. Not as many switches as someone with an evil layer and a doomsday machine. But it should work for me :p

Also went to the man store today for extra supplies. I needed some more relays, fuses and a lot of other little things. But I also found these:

20130714_205707.jpg

Strobe emergency lights. I had gone to NAPA to buy some from them, but they wanted $120 for the light, plus the bracket, gasket, and wiring. I bought these for only $30.

Going to mount them behind the front grill as well as on the back rack like this.

20130714_210057.jpg
20130714_210110.jpg

Well the ones on the back rack will go right against the two main posts. I just put them there quickly to give you an idea.

I connected one up to power and it was very bright. Should work well when parked on the side of the road.

And my official helper working as hard as ever.

20130714_114527.jpg

Last edited:

chevyexpotruck

Observer
You just gave me a great idea for wiring some things in the bed of my truck, thanks! As for the backup alarm, I hope you got the loudest available because some people are just completely oblivious these days.

Great. Glad I could help.

Yup the backup alarm is pretty loud. But sadly even if I had a fog horn as a backup alarm, it still won't help.

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Had some time for a little work on the truck yesterday afternoon.

Started by pulling the cover for the rad.

20130719_154204.jpg

Got some room down there I need to access.

20130719_154210.jpg

Made some mounts to keep the lights as far from the rad as possible and mounted them......well on the light mounts.

20130719_154147.jpg

Drilled and bolted them on.

20130719_155742.jpg
20130719_155746.jpg

View from the front.

20130719_155735.jpg

Tried to take a pic of them lit up but it didn't turn out good.

Last edited:

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Finished wiring up the strobes today. All good to go.

20130720_203621.jpg
20130720_203517.jpg

I mounted them higher on the back rack than I had originally looked at doing. Mainly for two reasons. First, I want people to see them from as far away as possible, so I want them high up on the truck. Second, if I were to put them in the middle of the rack, they might be in the way when I have to tie something onto the rack.

A little video of them in action.

EDIT: Sorry, looks like my video link isn't working anymore.

Should help me be well seen while on the side of the road.

Last edited:

tip

Adventurer
Nice truck! Love the simple rear bumper.

Sidenote: Is RCEME the Canadian equivalent of the Army Core of Engineers?

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Nice truck! Love the simple rear bumper.

Sidenote: Is RCEME the Canadian equivalent of the Army Core of Engineers?

Since I am a bit lazy today and don't feel like typing it all out, I will just copy/paste from wiki:

The RCEME are charged with the maintenance of all electrical and mechanical equipment in use in the Canadian army today. The branch is broken down into five trades:
-Vehicle technicians: whose task is to repair and maintain anything that operates with an internal combustion engine, including heaters, chainsaws and outboard motors, as well as staff cars, Jeeps, trucks and armoured vehicles.
-Weapons technicians: are responsible for maintenance of all weapons employed throughout the army, from bayonets to advanced air defence artillery systems, as well as Coleman Company stoves and lanterns, and locks, safes and high security containers.
-Electronic-Optronic technicians: the previously named fire control systems technicians were originally a collection of two dozen other trades, but were condensed into three, then into one. They maintain and repair optical systems, electronic targeting systems, laser and infrared ranging and targeting systems, air defence anti-tank systems, night vision equipment, etc.
-Materials technicians: have a very diverse job that stretches from being a welder, to repairing tents, to auto-body and carpentry. This is the most recent arrival to the RCEME trade group, added in 1985, and formed from a number of various army and air force trades.
-RCEME officers - maintenance officers are responsible for managing and leading RCEME workshops, both in garrison, and in the field, by making technical, administrative and tactical decisions that determine the unit's effectiveness and operational capacity.

says you "video is private" cant view it

Sorry about that. I have fixed it now and you should be able to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior