Patching a torn sidewall on tire

Off Duty

Adventurer
Have to agree with everyone else on this one.
Safety first and foremost!!

NONE of these fixes are good for the street.
And with the tires aired down and under the extreme stresses you would place on a tire under crawling conditions, I'm not even sure a patch would last then either.

The last thing I'd want to do is have to make the same repair twice on the trail.

As one mentioned call it "fun dues." We all have to pay them at one time or another.
If it's an off road rig, then you might want to check out the tire used tire shops, and find a replacement. One with less life left, or a patch on a the surface area.

I used to by tires for some of my trucks and cars, from one shop that specialized in European performance take offs. Had tons of mileage left, no patches, etc. Very short term use tires.

Paid about $35-50.00 each for $$$$$$ performance tires.

Just a thought.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
well I decided to patch it up just to see that I can. Yeah it holds air, but I don't want to risk it driving in on the street. Got a replacement 35' from craigslist.

Like everyone said, gotta pay to play right..

Off Duty

Adventurer
well I decided to patch it up just to see that I can. Yeah it holds air, but I don't want to risk it driving in on the street. Got a replacement 35' from craigslist.

Like everyone said, gotta pay to play right..

Well, the experience is good to prove to yourself that at least in a pinch, it can be done and you can do it:)
Getting the tire from CL was an exceptional idea! :)

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
They had a article in OJ on major tire damage repairs. Pretty cool. But only as a last resort to get back to civilization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior