Patching a torn sidewall on tire

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
So during the last trip to the Rubicon I pinched my front right tire against the granite rock which caused a 1/2 cut on its side wall. :mad:
I have maybe 1500 miles on set, so would hate to see a nearly new tire go to waste.

My question: is it something that can be repaired? has anyone done it? Ive heard of people doing it, but most tire shops wont deal with the side punctures due to liability issues.

I don't daily the truck, matter of fact I hardly ever drive it. Most of the time it sits until I take it out for wheeling/exploring.

thanks

Kohburn

Adventurer
there is a preceedure for patching sidewall damage, but yes nobody wants to do it anymore - it actually involves cutting out a larger hole and repairing it with 2 part tire vulcanizing rubber compounds and reinforcement patches.

if you do get it repaired or try a DIY using the commercially available products, I think it would become an off-road only tire for your own liability (and safety) reasons.

if it is small enough you can probably fill the actual cut with repair cement to prevent water intrusion damage to the cords, and then put a standard patch on the inside of the tire. again off-road only.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've patched sidewalls as a trail repair before but always replaced the tire as soon as possible.

FZJ4Fun

A side wall patch will get you off the trail (sometimes) but not safe for any street use. My thought is that the sidewall flexes too much under the load of the vehicle for a repair to be permanent. It's a bummer replacing a practically new tire but I've done it before too. Driving with a sidewall patch is not worth risking your safety nor the drivers around you. If its a trail only truck, you may get by with tubing the tire.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have thought about carrying a tube for on the trail repairs that are to big for plugs. I would patch (boot) the hole from the inside before installing a tube to keep grit out of the tire which would abrade the tube and keep the tube from squeezing through the hole. I wouldn't use it at speed and if you did install it on the rear.
Darrell

shov3lbum

Adventurer
When I worked in a tire repair and installation shop we NEVER repaired sidewall holes. Period. It is too dangerous and never the right thing to do for a street use tire. Like others have said too much liability and I'm sure if it failed on the road whoever did the service would be at fault since they are not repairs that should ever be done for road use.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Its called tire vulcanizing. Here is what you need:

-A super run down tire shop with at least 1,000 used tires out front. Most of them dry rotted but on sale for $10/piece. The kind of place your MIL wouldn't be caught near.
-An old guy
-Roughly $50

Look for a place that does vulcanizing on tractor tires. They do it all the time. I have many friends who have had their sidewalls vulcanized on their rock crawlers. A heck of a lot cheaper than replacing a 42" tire.

That said, for street use, you are SOL. Go buy a new tire. Also you bought from a tire shop, right? They will replace for free, typically. I blew a 4 year old BFG MT and 4WP replaced it for free. Only charged me for a new warranty on the tire.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So during the last trip to the Rubicon I pinched my front right tire against the granite rock which caused a 1/2 cut on its side wall. :mad:
I have maybe 1500 miles on set, so would hate to see a nearly new tire go to waste.

My question: is it something that can be repaired? has anyone done it? Ive heard of people doing it, but most tire shops wont deal with the side punctures due to liability issues.

I don't daily the truck, matter of fact I hardly ever drive it. Most of the time it sits until I take it out for wheeling/exploring.

thanks

See my video at the bottom of this page http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirevideo.html it is an emergency repair only. As most people have said the tire can not be repaired to be roadworthy.

Zachary29649

There are a lot of tractor tires out there that have had side wall holes vulcanized. And a lot more have been tubed which is extremely easy in a shop with a concrete floor and the right tools. Trail side tubing of any tire would be extremely difficult even a bead locked set. The stitching method I have used on our dump truck tires using high test fishing line and they held up for years. The only other method I know of for side wall punctures depending on size is stacking tire plugs and rubber cement. But I wouldn't trust any of these except for maybe the stitching or the tubing.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Eurosonic-

You already "wasted" the tire.

No matter how much time and effort you throw at it, it will never have the "integrity" of the other three.

Just throw it away and buy a new tire.

This month, you just have to pay your "fun" dues. :)

Dennis

craig333

Expedition Leader
I've heard a straight gash can be plugged. When this happened I was SOL.

Fortunately I was able to use my spare. I now carry a tube and some wire just in case I ever have to attempt a repair. As everyone else says, its meant to get you back to pavement, not for street use. Why risk your life for a couple hundred bucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94