FUEL CELLS FOR CAMPERS. FUTURE GETTING CLOSER

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I was blown away when I first read about hydrogen fuel cells. When we figure out how to make electrical energy cheaply on the large scale hydrogen fuel cells will take off. Very exciting to see they are begging to come available to the public and prices are dropping.

Thanks for the link!

JKMikey

Observer
Thanks for sharing. Thats pretty interesting. Still a little pricey for our off road style trailers, but great for bigger trailers.

Hopefully the technology will continue to improve and the cost come down a bit more.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I can get methanol for less than $4 a gallon and these guys want twenty some a gallon. I researched these 3-4 years ago and the price is still about the same. My opinion (worth about that much) is these things are a novelty item right now and probably until they fade off into the night. The methanol ones can be up to 40% efficient which is up to 20% better than some gas generators, but still.

The byproducts are heat, CO2, and H2O.

Last edited:

Crackerman

we use cng powered fuel cells for power (up to 500w continuous) in remote gas well locations. The fuel requirements are minimal, around 30cf a day under max output. The only downside i see with them is size and weight 2'x 2' x3' and around 300lbs. And the catalytic core is very sensitive to shock.
The company is coming out with a smaller 250w version, and it will be substantially smaller, but will have the same physical limitations.
Seeing this adapted to a mobile application would be awesome. However solar can give the same power, at less than 25% of the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier