Bear attacks

Cobolt75

Prepping for the journey!
Im planning a hard side trailer build, its gonna be used extensively in bear territory and I have heard about such beeing able to penetrate most vehicles.

Does anyone know how to bear-proof a trailer? is there solutions/constructions already invented and possibly examples out there already?

As such attacks are rare, It would be ok if it just keeps one out, it does not have to be usable any more and a need of extensive repairs afterwards is ok.

Any ideas or info on this is much appriciated! :)

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Electric fence (wire) around perimeter. Unless your trailer is built like one of the trash containers at Yellowstone....They will get in.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
This person converted a 105 into a bear / cougar proof camping trailer.

His description:

Don't know where to start. Had an idea to build the ultimate off road camping trailer I accomplished my objective. Started with an M105 ton and a half camping trailer, with plenty of room for full size bed and maximum interior space.

As you can see in the pictures, I added two external frames ( bear and cougar proof ), a south african canvas cover(same canvas as eezi-awn 2200 model rooftop tent which is attached and included) , an eezi-awn awning (complete with the only set in U.S. of full room panels, seen in rainbow pic w/ FJ60), a wind custom protector, stabilizing/leveling jacks(custom), external steps, military jerry cans, dining tray, spare tire, mesh screens, etc. The internal bed converts to a couch for daytime use, converting back in 20 seconds. Reworked the hitch assembly to modernize and to reduce vehicle weight.

This trailer has been "field tested" in all types of environments, terrain, and conditions and it has never failed. I simply leave it fully loaded and ready to go, and hook up takes 5 minutes. The entire rig can be deployed by one person in 10-15 minutes. The roof top tent, awning, awning siding, canvas, and rain cover are all in close to perfect condition. The rain cover unzips horizonally for added flexibility.

The entire trailer has been completely stripped, sand blasted, and power coated. The interior has been been coated in a rhino-line product. You can hose the trailer clean, inside and out, in 10 minutes. Military colors.
If you have been searching for the perfect off road camper that can sleep 10+ people in a well defined space, this is truly a "one of a kind". I am older now and have bought a ranch which has reduced my camping activities.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!qUE-ZCmNcCdBPyiblQhBg~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!qUE-ZCmNcCdBPyiblQhBg~~60_1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 613
  • $(KGrHqFHJBME-dq2kM)eBPzOri0gk!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJBME-dq2kM)eBPzOri0gk!~~60_14.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 604
  • $(KGrHqJ,!nwE-wqtg63KBPyic0jdY!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!nwE-wqtg63KBPyic0jdY!~~60_14.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 602
  • $(KGrHqJ,!oQE-ys9p4Y1BPyibzZHWQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!oQE-ys9p4Y1BPyibzZHWQ~~60_3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 82
  • $(KGrHqN,!lkE-do,Hc))BPyidZi7vg~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!lkE-do,Hc))BPyidZi7vg~~60_3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 77
  • $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 78
  • $(KGrHqNHJBME-eKWlp,ZBPzPzqBjY!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJBME-eKWlp,ZBPzPzqBjY!~~60_14.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 606
  • $(KGrHqV,!nUE-w5O)KyWBPyicH,dzw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!nUE-w5O)KyWBPyicH,dzw~~60_3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 81
  • $(KGrHqV,!oEE-2SvHZU1BPzP97dz4w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!oEE-2SvHZU1BPzP97dz4w~~60_3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 76
  • $(KGrHqVHJC0E-P4zwS5+BPzQbtLNtw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJC0E-P4zwS5+BPzQbtLNtw~~60_3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 81

TheJosh

Explorer
Maybe if you store your food and good smelling stuff outside your tent the bears could not care less about getting inside?

Jacc

Has anyone tried wiring an electric fence unit to the metal side of their vehicle? Since the vehicle's tires keep it isolated from ground it should work as well as an electric fence. You would want a three-way switch arrangement so you can turn the unit on and off form both inside and outside the vehicle so you can comfortably get in and out.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Bears have been known to rip doors off of trucks. Keeping the area clean, trash sealed and grey water potted helps a lot. A little noise normally keeps them away to. We had a grizzly crawling around our travel trailer one time at Yellowstone. The ranger asked us to move the next morning. I think we were lucky that night. Other than that, have never had a problem with them, other than when riding my mountain bike. Almost hit a baby and mommy was right in front of her. Very lucky that night. Some claim music will keep them away as they normally are not human aggressive.

The steel caged trailer above is about the only way I could think of keeping one out if it wanted in. I build mine very strong, but doubt they would stand up to a bear if it really wanted in.

Who is at the top of the food chain here? Wildlife management or lack of it causes these issues. Numerous generations of critters interacting in an inappropriate manner loosing the genetic material to fear humans, maybe permanently. Really sad, sorry but I had to say it.

gabepari

Explorer
Build it with two doors... That way when the bear comes in one door, you go out the other...

Seriously, it's the only way :)

Or sleep in on of those $800 ice chests...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Who is at the top of the food chain here? Wildlife management or lack of it causes these issues. Numerous generations of critters interacting in an inappropriate manner loosing the genetic material to fear humans, maybe permanently. Really sad, sorry but I had to say it.

I am hoping that this is sarcasm...which never goes over well in plain text.

Kool trailer, I like the RTT on the roof too!

Septu

Explorer
Even that caged trailer... if a bear wants in... it'll get in. That said, I live in bear country (there's almost as many bears as people up here), and am not worried. Clean up after yourself, and it shouldn't be a big issue. If you're that worried, pack a shotgun or bear spray/bear banger. I take a shotgun, but would hate to have to use it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I caged trailer was built to be COUGAR proof.

But................. to keep them in and not let them out?

Attachments

• assetCA8T1BJR.jpg
    assetCA8T1BJR.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 290

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94