Bear attacks

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
i grew up with the 200 foot rule out camping, tent was 100 feet from where you cooked which was another hundred feet from where you stored your food. that wont work in most campgrounds, but we were almost never in campgrounds.

Cobolt75

Prepping for the journey!
Awesome amounts of replies thanx guys! :)

The electrical fence seems viable and quite easy to setup.

Was thinking about some IR motion detectors + LED floodlights as well which could be a good thing to have if it ever should get critical and one needs to use a rifle in the dark.

How easy is it to scare off a bear with loud noise? I have a quite nasty anti theft alarm siren that I could put a force switch on, could ofc use flashes or strobes as well. Would be nice to have something more than shots in the air to try.

Bear spray, is that standard pepper spray? Seems like a good thing to carry in the pocket.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
I have considered installing tubing on the undersides of my bed slides on my trailer with a pepper spray canister located in the trailer. Could be activated from inside the trailer if a critter is snooping around outside.

jkce72

Observer
That caged trailer is cool, but I wouldn't trust it if a bear really wanted in. A couger I would though, especially the one Mark pictured. Might even open the door.:)

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
x2 for just plain avvoidance...

I have spent many a night in bear land with nothing between me and them but a tent.
Education and good camping ethics work better then any device
and for what its worth there are plenty of real life stories out there that say bear spray works better then a fire arm in an emergency
again, education and ethics you will be just fine

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
All the knowledge and preparation in the world will help, but if an angry bear stumbles upon you, and you are in his way (sleeping or not) look out. I guess what I am saying is that there is always a chance (odds) but really it is slim if you follow the recommended practices in bear country. Cougars are the ones I am more scared of...those suckers stalk you, and ALWAYS look pissed off!

99.9% of the time I see bears running the opposite direction from me at a high rate of speed... they avoid us more than we avoid them. I agree on keeping your food and cooking away from your bed/family, but as stated, not always possible.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Bear spray, is that standard pepper spray? Seems like a good thing to carry in the pocket.
No no no! Standard pepper spray is designed to stop a human without hurting him (much). Bear spray is the same chemical, but a much stronger formulation. Plus the containers are much larger for a sustained blast or two, and the range is greater, up to 30 feet. Typically you use a nylon holster and attach it to your back pack shoulder strap or to your belt.

You need one can per person in your group, plus at least one extra can. That way if you do have to spray a bear, you will have a usable can for the remainder of your trip.... or until you encounter another bear. The extra one can be an expired can, or you can use the out of date cans for practice.

If you are unfortunate enough to get some in your eyes, through accident or the wind blowing the wrong way, you will incapacitate yourself at the very worst possible moment. That is the huge downside to the spray. Always carry some baby shampoo (safe for the eyes) and plenty of water, in case you get some in your eyes.

http://www.udap.com/faq.htm

Google "bear spray Sweden" and see what is available. I use the Counter Assault and UDAP brands here in the USA. But I also go armed, in case the spray doesn't work or the wind is blowing from the bear toward me.....

Here's a can secured to the top of my motorcycle tank bag for instant access:

SRH-001b.JPG

If you are allowed to own and carry a large handgun, a .44 Magnum or larger revolver in a hip or shoulder holster, OUTSIDE of all clothing, is a great alternative. Use a very heavy hard cast, flat tip lead bullet, not a hollow point bullet.
SRH_02.JPG

You don't want to be messing around with a long gun in the confines of your trailer. If you can't carry a handgun, buy a 12 gauge pump shotgun with the shortest legal barrel, plus hard cast slugs. Don't use regular slugs intended for deer sized game - they are too soft to penetrate a very large bear. Brenneke Black Magic slugs are great:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html

I would not waste time and money trying to bear proof a trailer, because it will never be more than marginally effective. Keep a clean camp and carry protection.

EDIT: I just discovered that you cannot legally own any type of pepper spray in Sweden, unless you are police or military. That is stupid! It is very effective and non-lethal. What is the reason for this law? Do they want the bears to eat well?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
The saying here about when it comes to handguns to stop a bear attack........

File the front sight off flush with the muzzle, file all sharp corners rounded............When the bear grabs it from you and shoves it up your ***, you don't want it to hurt.

Many folks will report that a handgun of any caliber has never stopped a charging grizzle bear attack.........

I witnessed a 300 pound black bear up in Maine take a 12g slug right to the chest and all it did was make him mad. A rifle finally stopped the bear. Upon skinning it out we found the 12g slug, flattened against his chest bone. Zero penetration.

Cobolt75

Prepping for the journey!
Bears isnt much of a problem here but recently due to hunting restrictions they have become quite common and attacks are increasing.

I will ofc use as much avoidance I can but still, Im gonna do a survey of sorts for a few months and at times I will be in a hurry and have time only for park and sleep. The trailer will be carrying the food and will be used for cooking as well, hence my idea that bears actually could be a possible problem and some deterrant/protective measures would be nice.

Should I need a gun, my preferred one for bear is a BAR 9.3x62mm (4 shot semi auto), Its configured for boar hunting with a red dot sight and a muzzle brake. If it does not stop something, not much else will. But as said, its a last resort.

I can not carry handguns, they are not legal outside of a shooting range here. Seems bear spray is illegal here as well and its not just a fine for owning it, illegal possession of weapon classed items could result in one loosing the licence for other firearms so I cant use the spray. :(

gabepari

Explorer
How do you tell the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat?

Black bear scat is full of berry seeds, and grizzly bear scat is full of bells and smells like pepper.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Many folks will report that a handgun of any caliber has never stopped a charging grizzle bear attack.........

I witnessed a 300 pound black bear up in Maine take a 12g slug right to the chest and all it did was make him mad. A rifle finally stopped the bear. Upon skinning it out we found the 12g slug, flattened against his chest bone. Zero penetration.

Many folks would say that being mauled is better than using a handgun to try to halt an attack. I tend to disagree. If all I have is a handgun with "optimized" bear ammo, I will use it. Would I try to stop a bear with a 9mm? No way.

That shotgun slug was simply the wrong choice in ammunition. Most slugs are dead soft lead and will not penetrate a tough animal like a bear. They are designed for thin skinned game. The Black Magic slugs will shoot clean through a brown bear, breaking bones and leaving a huge wound cavity. According to the president of the company, 80% of the slugs Brenneke USA sells to Alaska are Black Magic loads. There are a few other brands that sell similar ammo, like Dixie Slugs in the USA....

To the OP: That BAR will do the trick! Those are wonderful rifles. I don't know much about the round, except that it hits darned hard. My preferred rifle would be my short barreled Marlin 1895 .45/70..... http://www.spokanister.net/images_web/Guns/Marlin_1895/1895_STP-004.jpg

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Fresno

Adventurer
The 45/70 is the right bear medicine but 20 years flying bush means packing light. My 500 SW was made for this task.

ADVTOOLS001.jpg

Interested in autos? I wouldn't recommend it for bear, but you could do worse than the 10mm Glock.
Excellent for social work, as well.

ADVTOOLS002.jpg

Hiking in bear country and every ounce counts:

500 SW in 2 1/2" barrel = excellent

44 Mag in Scadium and Titanium = good and ultra light

357 Mag, Airwieght = not recommended
fc920ead3bf6c474114087a6ab90f463.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz