New 1989 GMC Suburban project

Well my old Suburban has way to much rust, smog, and electrical problems. Decided to buy this suburban and start over. It's a 89 V1500 SLE. It has either 119k or 219k or higher I guess, but it runs really well. Just bought it this morning in the mountains and drove it home 35 miles through the hot *** desert. Anyways it's a 350,auto, and rear AC :costumed-smiley-007. t looks like it may gave been painted with a paint brush. The flat black is a little to gangster for me, but whatever. The only think I'm not big on it that is has a tailgate (manual window at that) instead of ambulances doors. Oh well, I only paid $1500 for it, so I can't complain to much.

My build plan it to take the parts I want off the old Sub and install them on this one, and then part out and junk what is left of the old one. Looking at moving over the axles, front suspension, roof rack, dual batt set up, winch and modified winch bumper. My old one has a shackle flip, but I plan on going with 4" springs in the rear with a zero rate. This will be more of a expedition/camping/family hauler mobile. Still have not thought of a catchy name for it yet, maybe I will let my oldest daughter name it.

Link to old build thread.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/26617-1990-Suburban-project?highlight=hidesertwheelin

Pics of new burb.

Last edited:

Scrib

Observer
Great to see another '89! I have 4" rear, 3" front springs on mine. It's slightly nose-down with a Buckstop bumper and M12000 Warn, but as soon as I get the rear bumper/tire carrier on, it will level-out. I currently have the interior gutted for some updates.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice Burb! Looks like it has good bones to build upon. A bit of paint and she’ll be a beauty. 1989 Burbs are one of my favorite all time vehicles but I am partial to that :)

Off Duty

Adventurer
I love the old Burbs!:drool:
My deal burb would be a similar year, with either a Cummins, or the Duramax/Alison combo swapped in:wings:

Maybe one day I'll pull the trigger.

Subscribed to this thread for the build.:coffee:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I think you got a smokin:Wow1:deal on that `Burb´for only $1500. Nice ride and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with that beast....:)

DeweyH

Observer
great deal and it looks unmolested for a rig of that age. tires had to to be worth 1/3rd of that price.

Does anyone know where I can get a handle for the tailgate window? It's not available at LMC and the Ebay want's $80. Or should I just search for a power tailgate and take all the parts out of it?

Last edited:
Took the roof rack off the old suburban today. Taking a rack that runs the entire length of the roof on a bub on 39's by yourself is a pain in the butt. Going to take a wire wheel to it and remove the paint and rust and apply a nice new coat to it. Also, I'm thinking a may buy some gasket making material and cut out some "gaskets" to go under the mounting tabs to provide some weather proofing and a little cushion. Also thinking of adding another set of mounting legs between the middle and front lets. There was some slight denting on the front of the roof where the rack mounted on the old burb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94