M105 trailer

dirtgimp

Does anyone use a M105 with a XJ ? If so can you post some pics , I have lots of ideas runnin thru my head . . . . . .

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Too big for anything but a deuce, They have a very high pintle height even with it rotated to the lower position.
air brakes and heavy weight of empty trailer

If you swap out the axle and lower it.
Look for aM101A2 instead.

The middle picture is a M105 with the running gear removed and a new 6 bolt axle and tongue jack added.

Attachments

• M101%2520LIBBY.jpg
    M101%2520LIBBY.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 535
  • M105%20behind%20Tahoe.jpg
    M105%20behind%20Tahoe.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 89
  • $(KGrHqV,!nUE-w5O)KyWBPyicH,dzw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!nUE-w5O)KyWBPyicH,dzw~~60_3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 127

dirtgimp

I would be pulling all the factory running gear. Doing an axle swap & changing the hitch also . . . . . .

Septu

Explorer
Still seems like a heavy trailer to pull with a XJ. Pulled my m101 that was loaded (mostly with light stuff) up the hills/mountains on my way home, and it already has me considering weight... at least to the extent that I'm now much more aware of it than I was before. And my 2012 JK has more power (and I don't think the torque is that far off) than the XJ.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Here is a shot of a 105, 1102 and a 1101A2

Pulling a trailer that size is one thing..........Stopping it is another.

Attachments

• trailers 123.jpg
    trailers 123.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 151

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Post your axle change when you do it.

Are you changing the springs too?

Guys who BOB 6 x 6 trucks use them to hang the rear end.

Will you be removing the landing gear too? That is some serious weight too.

chevyexpotruck

Observer
That is a pretty big trailer to pull with an XJ. Even with electric breaks, I would not want to have to stop in a hurry if you have a lot of weight in it.

The M101 and M105 are basically the same trailer, just with different axles/suspension. If you can get a cheap M105 and pull off the axle/suspension it might be worth it. But personally I find the trailers pretty heavy unless you are towing them with a pickup truck.

What is the plan for the trailer? Is it just to pull stuff around with, or an expo trailer?

dirtgimp

This would be a full on expo trailer . . . . . . .

new axles w/brakes don 't know if I would go with leaf springs or airbags .

any weight that can be removed will be , I know it's a big trailer not going rock crawling with it .

jagular7

Adventurer
There are drastic differences between a M101 and M105 trailer. Empty weight - 1450#s vs. 2750#s. The size of the bed - 5.5'x7'x15" vs 7'x9'x18" or so (IIRC). Then the frames are quite different in size, leafs, axles, tires, wheels, and the tongue.
If you really like the size of the bed, then I would look for a commercial flat or utility trailer to toss it on, or build a custom frame.

The M101 is a more pleasing trailer to be used behind today's smaller vehicles. The size is more acceptable. Swapping today's newer axles, wheels and tires makes a huge difference in weight reduction. Then same with suspension and tongue (lowering it requires work on the tongue stand).

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Here is a M105 behind a H1.
Air bag suspension and RTT.
The width is perfect for the H1.

Attachments

• picture_012.jpg
    picture_012.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 83

Forum statistics

Threads
Members