Cast Iron Restoration

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've got my work cut out for me on this pan. I found this a while back in an out building with no roof on a friends homestead here in Montana. I have no idea what brand this pan it, how old it is, how long that gunk has been stuck to it, or what that gunk is composed of. Right now I've got it soaking in hot soapy water to try to loosen up the gunk, then I think I'll scrape all the thick stuff off and hit it with a wire brush, and toss it in the oven on the self cleaning cycle. Once its stripped down to bare metal I want to try using flax oil for the seasoning because if its low smoke point.

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
First round of gooey crap to get scraped out.....I'm going to let it soak a little longer before scraping more then start using power tools on it.

IMG_1047.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
It actually doesn't look all that bad now that I've got the solid grease and junk off of it. Next is the elbow grease phase of the project when I start scrubbing.

IMG_1048.jpg

hesterj

Adventurer
Its a lot of work but something i feel is a huge payoff at the end. Good luck with the cleaning.
My wife is doing the same type project with a auction scored pot.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
You know you can get a brand new one at Wally World for a few bucks right???:elkgrin: HAHA, looks good.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You know you can get a brand new one at Wally World for a few bucks right???:elkgrin: HAHA, looks good.

And made in China to boot! This one might be made in China too but at least I know it isn't seasoned with used motor oil or anything nasty.

Desert Dan

Explorer
You scraped off all the flavor LOL

Good luck.

You could also burn it off in a campfire but doing it in the oven might be a more even heat.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I can vouch for the flax oil on all my cast iron. I have seasoned all my pans with it and it is simply fantastic. You will want to do anywhere from six to a dozen layers. I know it's a lot, but it is well worth it. Make sure the pan is bone dry before applying the oil (pre-heat in oven the make sure) then apply a very thin coat of the flax oil and then bake the pan at 450-500 for 45-60 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the pan cool until you can handle it with bare hands - it doesn't have to be room temperature, but you want to be able to pick it up for 10-15 seconds before it's uncomfortable. You can then crank the oven back up to temp while applying the next coat of oil.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, make sure to get 100% pure flax oil and not one with other oils or herbs. Keep your oil in the refrigerator, it does go rancid.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I had a bad one like that once. Put it in the oven on clean for the heat, then used a wire wheel on the drill and scoured it. Then seasoned, and worked great!

ericvs

Awesome. I have nursed two of my three pans back to life. I didn't start with them that far gone, but glad you are doing this. I didn't know about the flax seed oil. added to my memory banks. thanks.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I had a bad one like that once. Put it in the oven on clean for the heat, then used a wire wheel on the drill and scoured it. Then seasoned, and worked great!

I thought I had a wire brush for my drill but I don't and its going to be Monday before I can get into town to get a new one, thats the bad thing about living in the boonies, so the project is on a couple day hold.

12husky

Adventurer
Would glass beading work? Are you trying to get back to bare metal? There are a few hanging on my parents' antique wall that I have had my eye on restoring to use.

Joanne

Adventurer
My preferred method is to put it in my BBQ and let the temp get up in the 550 to 600 degree range for about 30 minutes or so. That usually will be enough to bake off the crud. A little wire brushing may be needed. Then start seasoning it.

It may or may not have any value, but it looks to be a nice one that should bring you some great meals. Enjoy!

Joanne

Honu

lost on the mainland
Saw some vids of electrolosis with a battery charger and borax or soemthing the rsults were insane good !

Have a huge steel griddle I have to do :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles