Surplus K5 m1009 CUCV build

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks happy to be here, I don't think the wife and I would have found a better rig for the money. It was an excellent entry level rig and its simple to work on and thus I do almost everything on it myself. Parts a re really cheap and found everywhere and were very happy with it. A lot folks comment on how ugly it is but its beautiful to us and very practical. It has taken us everywhere we ever want to go.

The gearing is not very aggressive at .308's but most guys throw some 456's in with axle swaps to DANA 44 or DANA 60 and 14 bolts in the rear which I would do if money were no option or I got a killer deal. the T-case is the NP208 all alum chain driven and were very pleased with it, its no 205 with gear and cast iron but it does very well for us.
you have a lot of confusing info here. First its 3.08 not .308 :) Its a gear ratio not a bullet. Second, the 10 BOLTS front and rear on the 1009 not Dana 44 have 3.08 gears. The Dana 60 and 14 Bolt on the 1008 have 4.56 gears from the factory.

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I dig that Solargizer unit. Since my Suburban has a huge amount of surface area, the idea of using that real estate for some sort of solar panels has crossed my mind recently. The concept of taking a Suburban and building to an M1009 specification could be easily done too. I'm trying to do a similar build with my '89 Suburbillac (Suburban with Cadillac 500 inch engine). It doesn't look pretty but will go just about anywhere it will fit and is easy to fix on the trail should anything break.

406expo

Adventurer
Hey guys. Not to much new lately. Re geared to 4.10's which has been so nice! Also got heavier springs from sd truck springs for real cheap and there fantastic. Also we finally got our plow set up so that's a great deal for us. Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but threw on an external tyranny cooler, a fuel filter heater in the bowl, etc. f39488b8-0e99-4593-ae8d-dd1ad8515186.jpg

406expo

Adventurer
So the heavy duty front springs from sd springs are awesome. Wish i had done it years ago. Much better ride quality and no sagging. I'm going to order new rear leaves from sd springs next.

Trying to find a decent body shop to do up the floor and rocker panels nicely then going to have a local girl line x the whole tub. She did our dodge and really did a nice job. Going to have her do my 416 trailer and m101a3 as well.

Other than that been busy working on my ford and dodge so the cucv is a little neglected. Have been enjoying the new 4.10 gears and asking myself if I really need the 14 bolt full free float I've got behind the garage and a (not yet obtained) Dana 60 up front. Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

cyclic

Adventurer
Just depends on tire size and how much weight do you really put in it.

I'm running 32 inch tires on my 88 Suburban, with a 2.5 lift. I do not plan to go any bigger than 33's ever. I don't extreme wheel it, rock crawl, or other "hard" use. I have done some killer upgrades to my axles, but nothing that overtly increased the overall strength. I'll be keeping the 10 bolts, they'll outlive the truck if not abused.

IMAG0530_zpsyvonqhkl.jpg

Now, the upgrades.............. which you may or may not want to copy.

1) 2010 Four piston Hummer H3 front brake calipers and rotors, running 14x1.5 late model lugs.

Xi1WRQ_zps7nhnrpzp.jpg

l8n7c2_zpskrt8pp4e.jpg

2) Complete 2004 Silverado rear disk brake axle, which is also wider than the stock axle eliminating rear spacers.
IMAG0526_zpsqyu03ups.jpg

You will need bigger rims if you decide to go with the brake upgrades.

Last edited:

406expo

Adventurer
Sounds like some nice brake upgrades. I've been thinking about that as well but need to figure out axle first. I'm pretty well satisfied with 33's and don't want to go bigger. This old girl will be our camping expo rig so nothing too brutal. But I generally like over built stuff. Maybe I will shave the 14 bolt and see if I can re gear it to 4:10 and install it.

I'm sure your right though, the 10 bolts if not abused will be just fine

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
406expo I am running 33s on my Yukon with a 14bolt sf. No need to shave the rear unless you are going rock crawling!:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles