Surplus K5 m1009 CUCV build

406expo

Adventurer
So a bit more than a year ago my wife and I won an auction on a surplus CUCV m1009 K5 Blazer. It was a steal and drove off the lot, recovered it in Sparta WI and got it all the way back to CA before we moved to MT. Here's a few pics of the progress, still a lot to do and we also picked up an m416 trailer to set up for expedition use. But thats another story. We have spent a lot of time in the motor and transfer case redoing everything trying to make it as bullet proof and reliable as possible. The tranny was inspected by Chevy and they said its in excellent shape already, new exhaust from SPINTECH in Riverside CA and I have done a fair amount of body work on her also. New bumpers front and rear and a warn 12k winch. Looking to add a roof rack with awning, new cb antenna and a swing away additional spare carrier and fuel/h2o cans wold be nice but on the roof is ok too. Also thinking about a turbo for more power, I already turned up the IP an eighth and it helped a lot but still want more power. well without further delay here she is, not pretty but practical for us.
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
thats all I have for now but ended up going through a few sets of rubber, settled on the wrangler duratracs in 33x12.5's and really am pleased with them so far. More pictures to follow and any advice is appreciated.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Nifty rig, I have always liked military vehicles. One suggestion I may have for you would be to add some kind of sound deadening material to the inside. I had a Bronco years ago that had an interior identical to your Blazer (as in, just about none) and the noise could be rather annoying most of the time. I am sure if you can tame some road and engine noise, your trips will be more enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

406expo

Adventurer
Sounds advise, I may do this when I can find a god product. Between the new muffler and little bit of sound dead on the hood its been SO much more enjoyable. I can only imagine the whole interior lol.

Nifty rig, I have always liked military vehicles. One suggestion I may have for you would be to add some kind of sound deadening material to the inside. I had a Bronco years ago that had an interior identical to your Blazer (as in, just about none) and the noise could be rather annoying most of the time. I am sure if you can tame some road and engine noise, your trips will be more enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Sounds advise, I may do this when I can find a god product. Between the new muffler and little bit of sound dead on the hood its been SO much more enjoyable. I can only imagine the whole interior lol.

On my current vehicle I added some roll on dyna-mat type material (sticky on one side, reflective topside) under the factory matting and noticed a bit of improvement. I also added some of the same stuff to the inside of my work truck (2011 Tahoe SSV) at strategic places and noticed a big change in vibration noise and road noise.

But, considering your rig does not have much material to hide the reflective mat under (without buying interior carpeting, etc) you may want to look into using Lizard Skin. It is a spray on sound and temperature insulation that I have seen featured on some hot rod builds.

406expo

Adventurer
Is the small solar panel to trickle charge the battery?

It's a solargizer and it does more of a pulse throughout the day of energy to prevent the sulfur build up on the lead faces of the battery, which extends their life and does maintain them slightly. They do however make a new model that provides more of a trickle maintenance charge, great piece of gear I will be putting on our other truck.

406expo

Adventurer
On my current vehicle I added some roll on dyna-mat type material (sticky on one side, reflective topside) under the factory matting and noticed a bit of improvement. I also added some of the same stuff to the inside of my work truck (2011 Tahoe SSV) at strategic places and noticed a big change in vibration noise and road noise.

But, considering your rig does not have much material to hide the reflective mat under (without buying interior carpeting, etc) you may want to look into using Lizard Skin. It is a spray on sound and temperature insulation that I have seen featured on some hot rod builds.

I will have to look into that thanks for the heads up. I need to weld up the floor a bit more and may just end up with new floor pans a a new rocker panel to save time and improve the final product. Not looking to make this sexy just practical and ruggedly reliable.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Very cool man, and welcome to ExPo.

I have a good friend with a Banks turbo kit on his 6.2 and he loves it, drives it to Colorado from TX all the time, I highly recommend it.

Who made the bumpers? I really like how clean the front looks, almost like the factory CUCV one.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off welcome to the site 406Expo. I love those military rigs and have only heard good things about them. Just curious what gears you have in those axels and what rpm you are running at highway cruise speeds. I also think your new bumper looks good. Keep us updated with lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli....:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Very cool rig 406expo!

I was actually looking for an M1009 when I ran across my Suburban. I would love to have one of those M1009s one day. The M1009s pop up on the gov auctions quite often around here (Ft. Carson) but the average Joe cannot complete with the military surplus companies like Boyce that outbid everybody and snap up all of the good vehicles. Forget about trying to find a M1008 with a Dana 60 around here no matter how bad of shape it is.

Love your rig :drool:

Outback

Explorer
LOVE those M1009! Great start on your build. I am also looking to pick up a Solargizer. But at this point its low on my priority list. If one becomes available cheap I will snatch it up.

406expo

Adventurer
Thanks and I'm happy to finally be here and not just lurking. I would like the Banks but will have to see thats big money, I would really like to find a surplus one from the 6.5 ideally. A guy in San Diego made the front for me goes by JJ's 4x4 he does great work but he's a bit slow, however his prices are OUTSTANDING. I paid 700 bucks and he and his brother were going to put it on for me, but I ended up doing it at home. He fabbed it all up from email measurements and a few cell phone pictures. The fit is excellent and I'm very happy only wish I'd don't one for our pick up too.

Very cool man, and welcome to ExPo.

I have a good friend with a Banks turbo kit on his 6.2 and he loves it, drives it to Colorado from TX all the time, I highly recommend it.

Who made the bumpers? I really like how clean the front looks, almost like the factory CUCV one.

406expo

Adventurer
Thanks happy to be here, I don't think the wife and I would have found a better rig for the money. It was an excellent entry level rig and its simple to work on and thus I do almost everything on it myself. Parts a re really cheap and found everywhere and were very happy with it. A lot folks comment on how ugly it is but its beautiful to us and very practical. It has taken us everywhere we ever want to go.

The gearing is not very aggressive at .308's but most guys throw some 456's in with axle swaps to DANA 44 or DANA 60 and 14 bolts in the rear which I would do if money were no option or I got a killer deal. the T-case is the NP208 all alum chain driven and were very pleased with it, its no 205 with gear and cast iron but it does very well for us.

First off welcome to the site 406Expo. I love those military rigs and have only heard good things about them. Just curious what gears you have in those axels and what rpm you are running at highway cruise speeds. I also think your new bumper looks good. Keep us updated with lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli....:)

406expo

Adventurer
forgot to tell you I don't have an rpm gauge yet, I added an EGT and tranny temp so far but still at it. But it flys on the highway, I have had it up to 90 but usually stay at 75 and the fuel mileage is unreal I get high to mid 20's! Very happy about that, of course thats with a serviced tranny, serviced axles, t-case is rebult as of a few weeks ago but killer mileage if you ask me.

406expo

Adventurer
I just saw a few m1009's go for 600 bucks in better shape then mine was! Don't let driving across the state stop you from a good one if it pops us, several in texas right now that look good and run.

Very cool rig 406expo!

I was actually looking for an M1009 when I ran across my Suburban. I would love to have one of those M1009s one day. The M1009s pop up on the gov auctions quite often around here (Ft. Carson) but the average Joe cannot complete with the military surplus companies like Boyce that outbid everybody and snap up all of the good vehicles. Forget about trying to find a M1008 with a Dana 60 around here no matter how bad of shape it is.

Love your rig :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior