Gen 2.5 - Upgrade Advice Needed - Body Lift or Suspension Lift, and Maintenance Item.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I started out with a 2' body lift which was plenty for me for a while. Suspension completely stock, with a minor torsion bar tweak. Fit 33s w/o any issues, no rubbing. After running around in the sierras for over a year I decided that a better suspension setup is a must. I often carry 4 passengers (sometimes 5) along with all their gear so the rig becomes real heavy real quick. Rear stock springs do not handle that sort of load at all! They compress to their max and with every bump in the road I would feel it in my neck. Soo, I will deffinetly be upgrading to either Ironman torsion bars/ expedition springs or OME Expedition Duty kit. Spring spacers in the back is a waste of time unless you plan on traveling with no more than 2 people total in the car while being lightely to moderately packed.

Recently I added some short Energy Suspension bump stops and they help with articulation. Although you have to be easy on the gas when flexed at the fullest with IFS.

Based on your pics looks like you will be crawlin around some rock. I would recommend the trail gear sliders. Roger Brown 4x4 makes some too, which are a bit more expensive but they are bolt on. I have the identical sliders posted above (w/o frame tabs). I welded them on to the frame and later added some gussets. As far as I know the you will be trimming the sliders to accommodate the curvature of the Montero frame. IOW the tabbed sliders are not bolt on.

here is a pic of my Trailgear sliders with 33s.

Last edited:
I'll echo Dmitriy, stock suspension doesn't really handle the load that well. I've got OME Expedition Heavy springs in the back and even then I've found myself on the rear bump stops on a couple of hard hits. Granted, I drive hard, even with a load.

I'm about to install Iron Man torsion bars before our trip this summer, I think that'll make an improvement in at least two areas, namely bouncing on the front bump stops and under braking. Especially now that I have the ARB bumper on the front.

I wont be installing a body lift until I can justify using 35s. I don't rock crawl in the truck, its our overlanding rig.

I've not needed rock sliders yet, so no comment. My truck is for overlanding, not rock crawling ;)

For the maintenance stuff, do that first before spending another dime. I found that it was worth it (for me) pulling the engine to do the timing belt and all the seals plus the head gasket. Pulling the engine made all of the work a lot easier and we found several issues including a head gasket that was about to let go.

As for parts sourcing, I used many sources, mainly Oreilly. I used as many items that were "Made in Japan" as possible. It actually came down to a pulley being made in Canada, and one of the auxiliary belts being made in Mexico, if I recall correctly. It took time, but it was doable. It wasn't a one stop shop sort of venture.

So, I probably wasn't too clear in the post above. Here is what I need advice on:

1. Lift, should I do both, or just the suspension lift? Will I see any performance benefit?
Lift kit for your size tires. Improved ride quality off hwy and on.
2. Timing Belt. What kit should I get? RockAuto lists several:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,5759
I dont recall the brand, but it was made in Japan.
3. Spark Plugs and Wires - what kits/brands do you like?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,7224
Stick with iridium type. There's no real science behind the wires... as long as they're good quality and OE specs.
4. Wheel bearings - What all do I need?
Why do you need to mess with the bearings? You won't be doing the rear wheel bearings, except maybe add a bit of grease.... but i doubt its necessary.
5. Thermostat? which one?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,2200
I've got an Oreilly's one. Stock spec temp.
6. Is it possible to remove the front swaybar without cutting it?

7. What else should I be considering?

See notes above

Where do you get your OEM parts? RockAuto doesn't seem to list them, unless they are a name other than Mitsibushi...
Also, aren't you running KYB Gas-Adjust shocks in addition to the spacers?

I went with KYB Monomax shocks instead of OME or Iron Man. After a good bit of research, I found that the KYB specs out better than the competition. The cylinder is larger than OME or IM which translates to a better cooling effect. The rod that travels through the shock is the same size as OME but larger than Iron Man. Also, made in Japan, and is the OEM shock manufacturer of choice for Mitsubishi and Toyota.

I like them so far.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If you mount your sliders without the backing plates they will damage your frame under heavy service. Use the plates they supply or buy 1/4" plate 3"x3" or 4"x4" something like that. the tube alone welded to the frame doesn't cover enough surface area for the leverage the slider has over the frame.
Also you can notch your pinch welds on the body to gain clearance when mounting your sliders, reseal it with 3M body sealant. If you go this route don't cheap out on mounting, get backing plates and gussets.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sliders wise there's also Rocky Road Outfitters - I have them on my Pathfinder and they make them for Monteros too. I really like mine. They're a little more $ but strong, came ready to bolt on and look great too.

http://www.rocky-road.com/rock-sliders.html

Just an option.

Those do look nice. Not sure if I want to power coat my sliders though. I tend to use them too much, and rattle can them every few months :)
montero-rock-slider.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just FYI, they have two versions, the regular sliders and their supersliders. The ones in the pics are supersliders which have the outside round tube attached to the main square tube. The standard ones only have the square tube which doesn't offer the nicer look or the additional protection.

As for powder coating, they just come that way and the coating lasts several years (from others that have had them), of course, requiring touch up on the bottom where they take the most beating. I'll probably go with herculiner or line-x or even epoxy paint when mine require repainting.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Get your suspension upgraded. I got the heavy duty ome kit and love it.

Which kit specifically? I went to OME's site, and they don't even list anything prior to 2000, which in the Pajero range is the Gen3 I think. At least the picture of the kit shows 4 springs, not t-bars.
OME-site.JPG

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You'll need to call ARB. They probably stopped listing them simply because of the age of the vehicle. I'd be willing to bet they still make them since they're still very popular in Australia.

FWIW, 2000 is a gen III in Australia as well as the ROW. AFAIK the US is the only country where we get mitsu vehicles 1 year after the rest of the world does.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
here is the Ironman stuff. These guys have a fatty sale around thanksgiving.

http://store.camel4x4.com/category/1991-1999_CoilSpringRear.html

Yeap, my buddy is the west coast distributor for Ironman, which is really the only reason why I am considering them. I have a long and successful track record with ARB, Ironman would be new to me. I wonder if the longer t-bars on the Ironman site would allow more articulation?
Ironman offers two sizes: 1278mm Long verses 1308mm Long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94