Gen 2.5 - Upgrade Advice Needed - Body Lift or Suspension Lift, and Maintenance Item.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Agreed on the de-merits of a body lift which is why I suggested if you do it to not go more than 1" and that would be to simply clear bigger tires- if needed (not needed for 33s on Monteros). I also agree that more suspension travel = good but you're not going to get any more suspension travel with a simple spring lift than before. For that you'll need longer shocks and matched springs...and with that you'll also need to drop the subframe to not screw up the CVs every few hundred miles. The only thing a basic spring lift gets you is higher weight carrying capacity and some rocker clearance, not to say that it's a bad thing, we can almost always use both of these. About the only other thing you can do to gain some additional suspension travel (or more accurately to take full advantage of the existing suspension travel) and increased articulation is by removing the sway bars.

As for the body lean, yeap...but then again the Montero is not a rock crawler. Nathan I think you know this already but your Rubi experience spoiled you a bit with what it could do. You're now with us mere mortals :) However, you might find that the Montero is closer to your old LR3 than the Rubi...of course noting that the LR3s are supposed to have very good articulation for an IFS/IRS truck.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nathan I think you know this already but your Rubi experience spoiled you a LOT with what it could do. You're now with us mere mortals :) However, you might find that the Montero is closer to your old LR3 than the Rubi...of course noting that the LR3s are supposed to have very good articulation for an IFS/IRS truck.

Fixed that last comment for you Russell. LOL.

Actually, my personal LR3 had poor articulation compared to the normal air suspended models that have a full 15" of droop in the rear and 12" up front. However, that class leading traction control was the great equalizer. Maybe I should put money into a front locker instead of a lift :)

In case anyone is wondering, in summary I have:
KYB shocks on all four corners
Old Man Emu 2938 Springs (Constant +440lbs)
To be installed: Iron Man 1308mm Torsion bars.

Ray and Nathan- ARB has this note suffixed to these coils "coils must be installed with progressive rate to the top." I'll snap a pic of my springs this evening.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Interesting issue on the 7 pages of threads limit you're encountering... I'm not getting that on either my PC (either home or work) or iPad or Android phones.

I think I solved this one. I went back and read a DOS3.1 handbook and .... No, I'm kidding. Actually, I found a setting on the bottom right corner that was defaulted to a 2 week view.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
In case anyone is wondering, in summary I have:
KYB shocks on all four corners
Old Man Emu 2938 Springs (Constant +440lbs)
To be installed: Iron Man 1308mm Torsion bars.

Ray and Nathan- ARB has this note suffixed to these coils "coils must be installed with progressive rate to the top." I'll snap a pic of my springs this evening.

Scott, didn't you write somewhere recently that you still bottom out regularly with the OME springs?

SoCalMonty

Explorer
These are the pictures I was referring to. The IFS is loaded and F/R axles are crossed up.

They are both on the Ironman kit, however, the second picture is with the addition of low-pro bumpstops on the up-travel in front. Quite a difference in how level the vehicle is. The pics you posted are all pre-low pro stops. It's tiny little $15 mods like that, which can make a huge difference in suspension performance...

monty1.jpg

monty2.jpg

...simply put, you won't be able to stay that flat on the stock components. However, as mentioned, a few tasteful, mild mods go a long way. Trying to compromise between a freeway commuter and a rock crawler, though, does make it a bit tougher. Personally, this is the 3rd truck I've dithced the swaybars on, and I don't regret it for a second. I find all of the hub-bub about it being dangerous grossly exaggerated. If you drive dangerously, it will be dangerous. It's as simple as that. ;)

PS, there is more travel to be had out back with longer shocks, and more travel to be had up front with low-pro stops on the down-travel.

Scott, didn't you write somewhere recently that you still bottom out regularly with the OME springs?

I wouldn't say regularly. Maybe twice... with expedition load... at near rally speeds...... and that was when one of the rear shocks was shot. I may install a spring spacer if the torsion bars allow for adequate front lift.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Here's what i'm currently running for shocks (8's or 9's can't remember), flexes out pretty far and soaks up jumps nicely.

DSCF9891.jpg
DSCF9892-1.jpg

Stock length KYb's up front with Polyurethane low pro bump stops, on the topic of low pro bumpstops... with 35's it puts a fair amount of leverage on the UCA shaft. I've bent a few but i'm running 35's

I ran some 12's on my other Gen 2, i lowered the truck by running Gen 1 SWB springs. It never lifted a tire but it flexed so far it mashed the brake line on the caliper into the frame so i had to limit it a little bit.
DSCF8052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz