Gen 2.5 - Upgrade Advice Needed - Body Lift or Suspension Lift, and Maintenance Item.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Okay! I am finally able to spend a couple more dollars on the Monty and get it tuned up and tricked out. My Monty is a 1998 SR with 184,000 miles it. History is unknown, but maintenance was probably not a high priority for the previous owner(s). However, it runs fantastic, shifts beautifully, and all systems currently work.

Things I have already done:
1. new alternator
2. new battery
3. new belts
4. new air filter
5. new windshield
6. new interior dashboard lights
7. topped off all fluids
8. new stereo and speakers (a man's got to have his priorities....)
9. new Tires! (33"x10.5"x15" BFG KM2's)

On the list to do is the following:
1. Change fluids in Engine and Tranny
2. Change fluids in Front & rear diffs, and transfer case
3. Replace Timing Belt and water pump, and crank bolt.
4. Replace spark plugs and wires (though that looks like a real PIA to do, probably do it when the timing belt is being done)
5. Repack wheel bearings (should they be replaced... I dunno?)
6. Flush the radiator, possibly replace the thermostat (proactively, but how long do they last?)

I contemplated getting HID headlights, and also replacing the door lock actuator (mine is fidgety), and replacing the window operators for front and rear windows, but Sean showed me a bit of what's all involved and I probably don't have the mechanical poise to pull that off without breaking more things, so I will probably let that pass for now and wait until I am out of money and forced to do it :)

I also thought about getting a replacement fuel pump and replacing the fuel filter. No clue if that is hard to do. Sometimes those things are in the gas tank and darn near impossible to service. No sure about the Monty?

The big ticket item on my list right is the lift! The 1.5" body lift kit is dirt cheap at $85 with the good bolts. The Ironman suspension lift with springs, shocks, and torsion bars is $500 or so. I CAN"T DECIDE! It seems stupid to be indecisive on something like a suspension lift, but in my opinion, the Monty suspension is its weakness, and I'm not sure pouring $500 into that hole will make it any better. I really need some feedback and advice on this. On all my past vehicles, a suspension lift made major improvements in articulation, load handling, ride, and off road clearance. I'm not sure a lift on the Montero will accomplish anything other than clearance, quite possibly at the detriment of ride quality. Though bouncy, I LIKE the ride of the Montero right now in stock trim. It's light on its feet, controllable on the freeway at 70+mph, and performs well on the street. It's terrible off road though, with virtually no articulation. In any sort of unlevel surface, the truck's body pitches over instead of the wheels articulating up or down, and of course that results in one or more wheels dangling (and spinning) uselessly in the air and the truck's center of gravity tipping over more than a properly suspended truck ever would. The culprit seems to be the torsion bar design, and not the anti-sway bars. I am definitely not certain that a conventional suspension lift will help this vehicle very much, but I would LOVE to be proved wrong on this.

Right now, with the 33" tires, the truck rides pretty high. I'll bet I can run Nightmare Gulch in current trim, though I would like sliders just to be sure :)
I don't think the 33's rub anywhere, because there isn't much up travel in the suspension and my bumps stops are stock. If they don't rub, I'm not sure I need a body lift. Or, conversly, if I got a suspension lift and shaved the bumpstops, would I still need a body lift? Help! I'm getting myself all confused by overthinking it.

Here is a photo of the truck in stock trim with standard sized tires:
Parker-Mtn-XL.jpg

Here is how she looks with the 33's. So much better!
Montero-New-tires-05-XL.jpg

Montero-New-tires-06-XL.jpg

Montero-New-tires-01-XL.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So, I probably wasn't too clear in the post above. Here is what I need advice on:

1. Lift, should I do both, or just the suspension lift? Will I see any performance benefit?
2. Timing Belt. What kit should I get? RockAuto lists several:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,5759
3. Spark Plugs and Wires - what kits/brands do you like?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,7224
4. Wheel bearings - What all do I need?
5. Thermostat? which one?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,2200
6. Is it possible to remove the front swaybar without cutting it?
7. What else should I be considering?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you got the 33s! let's hit some trails :)

You're definitely on the right track by focusing on the maintenance stuff first. I can't help with the parts selection other than recommending sticking with the OEM parts where possible.

Suspension wise I would say with the 33s you should have pretty good clearance now which is what's nice about the Monteros, they fit without any lift, trimming etc. So at this point if you think your stock suspension is able to carry the load without hitting the bump stops or sagging too much and you don't need more clearance then you can wait on getting the suspension installed. I personally like a new suspension with fresh struts/shocks and the slightly stiffer springs to help carry the 500lbs+ expedition/camping gear. I'm not a fan of body lifts per se but they're a cheap way of getting some clearance. I wouldn't go more than 1" or so on the body lift though.

I also skipped HIDs in favor of some nice, bright Philips Xtreme Power headlight bulbs which made a night-and-day difference over stock for about $30 and 5 mins that it took to install them.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
You've identified that the Montero is a very nice SUV for the pavement and, although certainly not a solid-axle articulation monster, it is an acknowledged capable beastie in stock trim off-pavement. I wouldn't try to turn it into a high-articulation crawler...it's the wrong platform for that project. It is, however, a VERY capable overlanding vehicle.

So...what's the purpose of a body lift? More clearance for the tires...but yours doesn't seem to need that. Better approach & departure angles? No one faults the approach angle, and the departure thing can get help with a rear bumper.

The suspension lift? A bit more clearance underneath, which is a noble cause, but...you say that you like its current ride. If you're not suffering from lack of clearance, why give the thing a higher center of gravity? Of course, both these comments ignore the bling factor of having a vehicle that looks gnarly. I'm not knocking that, but it's not part of my equation and I don't suppose that folks buy Monteros because they want a jacked-up mudder.

I like the idea of sliders and perhaps some underarmor. If a lift is needed for ground clearance, the suspension lift is the obvious choice, but it's expensive and how much is it really needed?

Yours looks great, man! Those tires are very cool.

GrassCat

Adventurer
What type of off roading do you do? If you're not into rock climbing than your truck will take you to most places out here in the west. My 1998 ( the one pictured at the top of the page ) went everywhere I asked it to go. No lift and running 32's with sliders. I did beat it up a bit on the slick rock trail (gas tank). Dumb move on my part.

Use your truck for a while and see how it works out for you. Hard core trail folks will have a different ideas than I do, but that's OK.

GrassCat

Adventurer
What type of off roading do you do? If you're not into rock climbing than your truck will take you to most places out here in the west. My 1998 ( the one pictured at the top of the page ) went everywhere I asked it to go. No lift and running 32's with sliders. I did beat it up a bit on the slick rock trail (gas tank). Dumb move on my part.

Use your truck for a while and see how it works out for you. Hard core trail folks will have a different ideas than I do, but that's OK.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
1. Lift, should I do both, or just the suspension lift? Will I see any performance benefit?
2. Timing Belt. What kit should I get? RockAuto lists several:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,5759
3. Spark Plugs and Wires - what kits/brands do you like?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,7224
4. Wheel bearings - What all do I need?
5. Thermostat? which one?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430290,parttype,2200
6. Is it possible to remove the front swaybar without cutting it?
7. What else should I be considering?
1) I only did a 2"BL (35's baby) and coil spring spacers in back.
2) OEM is what id recommend. Same with the water pump and tensioner.
3) Denso Iridium. Run from Bosch (As fast as Usain Bolt)...
4) bearings and races. Again I like OEM. Timken is a good alternative IMHO.
5) OEM if possible. The others seem to be hit/miss.
6) Not sure, but unless you only drive it off road I wouldn't recommend this mod. Also if it has any cause to an injury accident, you'll be nailed to the cross by their attorney.
7) What kind of off roading will you be doing?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Both your's and Michael's question about what kind of Off Roading will I be doing is a great question. I am struggling to answer it adequately. Not because I don't know the answer, but because it forces me to limit myself and that's never easy. My experience is pretty wide and varied, but I haven't quite found the niche yet for the Montero. I have run many of the trails in Moab, and would like the Monty to be capable of Fins, Hell's Revenge, and Golden Spike and other comparable trails. I have breezed through the Rubicon in my old Jeep, but I do not anticipate attempting that in the Monty (not without significantly more armor all around and underneath). I regularly visit the El Paso Mtn's, where basketball size rocks are the norm, with a few trashcan sized rocks thrown in for good measure. I cruise long trails like Mojave and Bradshaw, I periodically go pounding down the endless washboard of Death Valley, and when in a dry sandy wash, I let loose my inner trophy truck racer persona and try (and sometimes succeed) in setting new land speed records. I LOVE uncorking it in sand, be it dunes or washes. The faster I go, the wider the smile. That is the type of off roading I do.

Here is a quick collection of images showing the types of trails I typically enjoy:

Mojave_2011-26-L.jpg

IMG_2330-L.jpg

AB-spring2010-36-L.jpg

MotinaWash-20091115-04-L.jpg

MotinaWash-20091115-10-L.jpg

Nightmare-MJR-20081221-15-L.jpg

JohnBull-II-20080531-10-L.jpg

Calico-800-01-L.jpg

IMG_0890-L.jpg

IMG_0892-L.jpg

IMG_3285-L.jpg

Bullfrog-20090523-23-L.jpg

IMG_4209-L.jpg

IMG_9736-L.jpg

LRCSD-RedRock-2010-26-L.jpg

MojaveTrail-20090314-53-L.jpg

NgtMare_Gulch-38-L.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
1) I only did a 2"BL (35's baby) and coil spring spacers in back.
2) OEM is what id recommend. Same with the water pump and tensioner.

Where do you get your OEM parts? RockAuto doesn't seem to list them, unless they are a name other than Mitsibushi...
Also, aren't you running KYB Gas-Adjust shocks in addition to the spacers?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Seems like you're into moderate 4 wheeling, i think you'll be fine with just the 33's and a bodylift. I'd still yank the sway bars though for what you're doing, the increase is pretty significant. At that point once you regear and armor up you'll be good to do what you were doing before in your rubicon. The Montero just isn't a rock crawler although that's what most of us here in Az use them for. There are definitely better platforms for that BUT there is no better platform for high speed offroad action, that is the Montero's niche.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What's a good source for armor? I can trim the rear bumper and lower fenderlines, and don't really care about the front, but sliders are going to be necessary I think.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Where do you get your OEM parts? RockAuto doesn't seem to list them, unless they are a name other than Mitsibushi...
Also, aren't you running KYB Gas-Adjust shocks in addition to the spacers?
www.mitsubishiparts.net for oem parts.
Not using aftermarket shocks since the OEM adjustables (also made by kyb btw) are still working.

What's a good source for armor? I can trim the rear bumper and lower fenderlines, and don't really care about the front, but sliders are going to be necessary I think.
For skid plates you're looking at custom/make it yourself. For rock skids trailgear.com makes them for the tacoma (67" iirc) and they fit the Montero.

For bumpers, most have modified other bumpers to fit the Montero frame horns. I went the other way around and modified my frame horns to match an aftermarket Jeep bumper up front and made a pair of adapters for the back.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
www.mitsubishiparts.net for oem parts.
Not using aftermarket shocks since the OEM adjustables (also made by kyb btw) are still working.
Great, thanks for the info. So you are running JUST spacers, and body lift. Any other changes to your suspension, sway bar removal? trimmed bump stops? I assume cranked t-bars, yes?

For skid plates you're looking at custom/make it yourself. For rock skids trailgear.com makes them for the tacoma (67" iirc) and they fit the Montero.

Cool. Are these the right sliders? Only $200.
http://www.trail-gear.com/trail-armor
120001-1-KIT.jpg

Do I need the frame tabs also?
120007-1-KIT_trail-gear_rock-slider-gussets.jpg

For bumpers, most have modified other bumpers to fit the Montero frame horns. I went the other way around and modified my frame horns to match an aftermarket Jeep bumper up front and made a pair of adapters for the back.
Yeah, I have no problem doing that, if I ever score a nice deal on a used bumper. But I'm in no hurry on that. Bumpers are just cosmetic, though having better recovery points up front would be nice.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Great, thanks for the info. So you are running JUST spacers, and body lift. Any other changes to your suspension, sway bar removal? trimmed bump stops? I assume cranked t-bars, yes?
Yes. I removed the rear anti-sway bar for better articulation. Barely noticeable on road except when loaded up.
Bump stops have not been touched but i did crank the T-Bars enough to clear the tires under full articulation.

Cool. Are these the right sliders? Only $200.
http://www.trail-gear.com/trail-armor
Yes although they were only $175 when I bought them.

Do I need the frame tabs also?
No but I used them as well to help spread the frame stresses. I'm trying to remember if I also used the triangles. IIRC they didn't work because mine wasn't mounted @ 90 deg to the frame but I'll have to check to be sure about that.

Yeah, I have no problem doing that, if I ever score a nice deal on a used bumper. But I'm in no hurry on that. Bumpers are just cosmetic, though having better recovery points up front would be nice.

They can be cosmetic or you can build them up to be far stronger also. If anything you may want to raise the bumpers 2" if you do a body lift.

In the case of my old Gen 1, the rear bumper was super stout (1/4" steel plate all around + 3/8" steel plate on the bottom section). It survived several rear endings from stupid drivers. Nothing but scuffed/scratched bumper paint for me. 1 totaled vehicle & 2 new front ends for those that hit me.:Wow1::smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94