Rifle rack inside an offroad teardrop?

NetDep

Adventurer
Great thread!!

I am the new owner of a Little Guy Silver Shadow/Rough Rider hybrid and am very interested in this as well. They make a trailer called the BOSS that does have a double rifle rack in it as can be seen in the picture below. A link for more info/pics is at: http://www.golittleguy.com/photosets/72157632669397433. I have the Blue Sky single rifle rack mounted in my Toyota Tacoma (see below) and am very happy with it. I plan to be in touch with Little Guy to see what brand rack they use in the trailer - I would have added that to mine but since it is the Silver Shadow the walls were not amenable to that rack -- I think. I do want a rack in the trailer as well and will keep an eye on this thread. I do have a thread started on my trailer under "Say Hello To My Little (Guy) Friend".....still learning - but love my trailer and can't wait to get her out!!!

RifleRack_BOSS.jpg

BigSkyRack.jpg

John E Davies

Adventurer
I guess I'm not understanding why the weapon needs to be locked. Wouldn't it be simpler to build and easier to access if you simply kept the weapon locked in your vehicle when you aren't in the trailer? Then when you go in for the night, the gun goes in with you. In the morning, it comes out and gets locked up in the vehicle again. There are many options for securing the weapon in a vehicle (locking cases, locking racks, storage boxes, etc.)

For that matter, seems to me a large caliber revolver would be easier to store and easier to use (and that's my backup "bear defense" plan as well.)

You make some good points. I have been locking up my rifle in the truck for many years. I could indeed just hang it from a couple of hooks in the trailer, but I have had a long time aversion to leaving loaded long guns unsecured.

I do have a big bore revolver as a backup to the backup .... and it is usually with me when I can't use the rifle, for whatever reason.... say hiking, or walking around a public campground, where I couldn't bring the rifle. It's usually concealed in a fanny pack.

SRH_01.JPG

Thanks for the comments, guys.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

John E Davies

Adventurer
In a worst case scenario you might have a flat battery and then you won't be able to access your gun.
True, but unlikely - I've never run a battery dead in all my decades of camping - and it takes maybe five seconds to open it with a key. Assuming the keys are handy... ;(

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

John E Davies

Adventurer
I am the new owner of a Little Guy Silver Shadow/Rough Rider hybrid and am very interested in this as well. They make a trailer called the BOSS that does have a double rifle rack in it as can be seen in the picture below.
Cool, thanks for the pics. That first one looks like a real Head Knocker to me - right over the pillows doesn't seem to be the best choice. But access would be very fast from either door, a plus compared to mounting it right next to one door.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

RangeBrover

Explorer
Depends on the state. The laws changed a few years ago regarding carry in national parks. In Virginia you can carry on any national park land but you can't carry in any federal building. So it's fine to backpack with a gun or leave it in your rig but I can't carry my handgun into a ranger station etc.

LACamper

Adventurer
John Davies- Nice revolver! Is that the Alaskan?

I see no problems carrying in parks. As a matter of fact I've avoided going to national parks because I couldn't carry up until now. Now if they would just allow you to carry in the buildings instead of leaving them in the car to be stolen...

John E Davies

Adventurer
John Davies- Nice revolver! Is that the Alaskan?
Sort of ..... when the Alaskan first came out, I wanted a .480 version really badly and couldn't afford one. By the time I was able to buy, there were no more new ones, and the guys who had them were not selling. But there were plenty of long barreled Super Redhawks in that caliber. I picked one up at a great price (US$620, if I recall correctly), got out my hacksaw and files and made my own Alaskan. I use to ride a KTM dirt bike along the ID/ MT border where there are brown bears, and that gun made me feel better, though I never actually saw more than their tracks.

http://www.spokanister.net/Guns_Bobbed_SRH.html

FWIW, the Alaskan is again available in this great caliber after a brief hiatus .... go figure. But I actually like my version better.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94