Toyota Sequoia

MahaloBoards

Sequoia update:

We absolutely love the Sequoia! We are a family of 4 + 1 dog and this thing exceeds our needs so far.

We have camped with it and there's plenty of room in the big tree for all our gear.

I have shoehorned the biggest tires I can get under it without getting a lift and you hardly notice it unless I park next a stock 1st gen. This is the way I like it... I don't want it to look skyjacked nor do I want to sacrifice fuel economy. I have been averaging 16mpg on the highway and that's not bad considering all the room we have.

Light to moderate wheeling with the Sequoia (beach and dirt roads)... nothing too crazy. I have an old CJ7 for the wild stuff :)

Plans for the big tree:
Google "SUV to Camper conversion"
QUQUQ Camping box OR Boot Jump Camper Car (DIY of course!!!!)
Magna Screens
Portable fridge, heat and AC units
Plug in or Off-Grid power! (am I crazy for wanting this?)
Rear bumper with swing out spare and accessories... jerry can, LP tank, shovel, high lift, etc.
Roof Rack with solar panel (http://www.sportsmobile.com/5_sys_solar.html)
Move spare to tailgate to place battery bank in spare tire compartment under the vehicle
Front bumper with hidden winch (maybe)

MahaloBoards

Does the Tree have low range?

Yes, it has low range as well. I rarely use it but it's nice to have that option just in case. I used it only twice so far. Once pulling a boat (7,000lbs w/trailer) out of the water. Using low range was probably overkill because it just creeped up the ramp without a problem. Another time I got blocked in at a sports even and had to get creative to get out. Ended up getting it on 3 wheels... wish I had taken a photo. :Wow1: I don't think I'll try that again with the bigger tires now... I'm sure it'll rub if I don't get it lifted at least a couple inches. The Big Tree is certainly more capable than you might think. The limiting factor on the trail may actually be the size of the vehicle. I really don't wheel hard enough to justify a trail-rated LC build so this thing is perfect for us!

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I liked mine.. 2003
Only thing that bothered me was the frame rot issues.. I never felt comfy wanting to mod/ dump money on it

Was great on trips

MahaloBoards

I liked mine.. 2003
Only thing that bothered me was the frame rot issues.. I never felt comfy wanting to mod/ dump money on it

Was great on trips

I have heard of some people having this issue but mine looks fine underneath. Do you know if this effected all Sequoias or was it only a few frames that where used from a particular factory? Is there any way to know if this will happen to mine if I drive it up north? This Sequoia has been in FL since new... I would hate to think mine is ok only because it hasn't seen the harsh weather.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I have heard of some people having this issue but mine looks fine underneath. Do you know if this effected all Sequoias or was it only a few frames that where used from a particular factory? Is there any way to know if this will happen to mine if I drive it up north? This Sequoia has been in FL since new... I would hate to think mine is ok only because it hasn't seen the harsh weather.

Yeah it was a Toyota wide issue.. Truck lines
You are fine I'm sure.. Being a southern SUV does help you a lot.. Search Toyota frame issues and look at the pictures.. You will see a few broken in half..

In the end I got rid of mine because it was from the northern part of the USA.

These are a great overland platform

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I've had a 2001 Sequoia and it was the most comfortable ride we've ever had. We now drive a 100 series land cruiser. Our decision was mostly due to the aftermarket support and love for the platform. The sequoia got another 4mpg on average and had gobs more space although both have a significant cargo gain over a 4runner/taco.

Bill Burke had one for a while and was mildly built. Fwiw, the Atrac system, when used correctly, is quite good offroad. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but if you are really going to play in the dirt and are looking to swap suspensions, lift, lockers etc... The 100 is the better choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier